Home Improvement

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty heavy rain? Lots of ground water? It may have come up from under.

Heavy but short, less than an hour I'd say. Way less than 90% of the "serious" rains we have gotten in the past that never ended up with water on the floor.

As far as I am aware no water comes in under this location, but I am not 100% certain on that statement.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Heavy but short, less than an hour I'd say. Way less than 90% of the "serious" rains we have gotten in the past that never ended up with water on the floor.

As far as I am aware no water comes in under this location, but I am not 100% certain on that statement.

Someone in your house pees in their sleep?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Okay less home improvement and more WTF am I looking at:

What's your surface drainage like? I've seen puddles like that in my garage where the water ran in under an exterior door and then partially evaporated leaving a stranded pool in the middle of the room.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Someone in your house pees in their sleep?

All of us do, I did the taste test and it's not pee.

What's your surface drainage like? I've seen puddles like that in my garage where the water ran in under an exterior door and then partially evaporated leaving a stranded pool in the middle of the room.

Did a water on concrete evap / absorb test a while back and it's pretty damn fast, like under 30 seconds in a low humid environment. This, apparently was standing long enough for mosquitoes to lay eggs in, possibly hatch. When I tossed a towel on it to dry it like 8 mosquitoes popped off it. Sprayed soap, bug killer, fire and aids onto the spot to kill all of the eggs and mosquitoes. I stand by my OG statement though, I didn't notice it yesterday afternoon (10-2 pm) before the rain and I did walk on that side of the garage.

Clean it up and see if it comes back

Done and will check it later. What makes me wonder is it appeared right under that discoloration of the concrete making me think there may be a copper line under that point MAYBE for AC / water heater drainage, I really hope not...but there may be.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
All of us do, I did the taste test and it's not pee.

tenor.gif

Did a water on concrete evap / absorb test a while back and it's pretty damn fast, like under 30 seconds in a low humid environment. This, apparently was standing long enough for mosquitoes to lay eggs in, possibly hatch. When I tossed a towel on it to dry it like 8 mosquitoes popped off it. Sprayed soap, bug killer, fire and aids onto the spot to kill all of the eggs and mosquitoes. I stand by my OG statement though, I didn't notice it yesterday afternoon (10-2 pm) before the rain and I did walk on that side of the garage.

Done and will check it later. What makes me wonder is it appeared right under that discoloration of the concrete making me think there may be a copper line under that point MAYBE for AC / water heater drainage, I really hope not...but there may be.

Putting plastic down is a smart idea. Water shows up under, it's coming up. On top, it's from somewhere else.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Waited overnight and nothing, but it was a dry-night last night so at least it's not just happening passively and it just started.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, you'll have to wait for rain and see what's up.

I increased my deck size from 16x16' to 16x32' last weekend. Decks are expensive, even if you do it yourself. On the funny side, I got all my 16' lumber from Menards to my home on my 8' trailer. That was some trick...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

I increased my deck size from 16x16' to 16x32' last weekend. Decks are expensive, even if you do it yourself. On the funny side, I got all my 16' lumber from Menards to my home on my 8' trailer. That was some trick...
how many telephone poles did you demolissh on your way home?

did the menards loader not go
giphy.gif

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Ha. None. I loaded myself. Right now I'm also doing a big section with paving stones, so each time I did a load of 16 foot lumber I would buy 30 paving stones and put them in the front of the trailer to counter balance the weight. It was just about perfectly balanced. I managed to not hit anything with the long lumber, and I even had to go through 2 round abouts. :)

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Well that was fun.

I had a small water inflation in my basement last winter after heavy rain. Like maybe a pint sitting on the floor, clearly coming from under the drywall. Havnt had any problem since.

Figured there may be a crack in the foundation. Got around to dig it and low and behold the wall looks just fine.
Around where the slab sits i found coarse gravel (say 1") caked in clay/dirt. So obviously it drains like shit. There has to be a pipe further down, but I don't see much point to expose it. It's likely filled with clay and wherever it drains to is too.

Ideally I'd dig around my house and install new drains but that ain't happening any time soon.

So while I have that section of wall exposed, any suggestion? Stuff to smear on the wall, some geotextile fuckery, just improve the grade and hope for the best?

Here's a pic that doesn't show anything

P_20190827_084745.jpg

Last edited:

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'd improve the grade, clean gutters, and hope for the best. Renting a small excavators, putting in a footer drain, and waterproofing exterior is long term and I wouldn't bother half assing it.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
tenor.gif

Putting plastic down is a smart idea. Water shows up under, it's coming up. On top, it's from somewhere else.

Well Fuck....

started raining today, so I go out and check the bag I have in the garage over the wet spot.

No water on top, yay?

But water is coming from under it, yay...

So...anyone know what the fuck I do now? LOL.

Siliconemelons

You could flex seal it, or similar - if your basement is finished and not exposed brick then doing anti permeable treatments on the inside are not available. But yes... french drains etc.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I'd improve the grade, clean gutters, and hope for the best. Renting a small excavators, putting in a footer drain, and waterproofing exterior is long term and I wouldn't bother half assing it.
That's what I thought too. Redoing the drainage of the house, or even just that corner, is a major undertaking and I ain't doing it this year.

With that said, while refilling the hole, leaving things basically to what they were and leaving the drainage of my house to thoughts and prayers didn't sit too well with me. Low blood sugar from 5 hours of shoveling helping, I came up with a half baked idea (one of my specialties).

On top of the clay heavy soil I have about 3-4" of 5/8 gravel. So the plan is to lay down a few layers of vapor barrier under the gravel to better redirect the water down the grade and away from the house.

The downside I can see is whatever water makes it under isn't going to dry too well but that part of my lot sees sunshine maybe 4 hours a day, so it's not like that's what get the moisture out anyway.

If that doesn't work out, shoveling the gravel out then back in after removing the plastic is another half day job. So that wouldn't be too terrible to fix.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
make sure your downspouts drain at least 5-6 feet away from the house too, lots of people have them empty too close.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What does "antipermeable treatments" mean? I have a crack in my basement wall and it's been flex sealed but it's still leaking in one spot.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
What does "antipermeable treatments" mean?

It means "We're going to charge you a premium as a band-aid over the fact that you have drainage/grade problems."

I've had leaky basements and the problems invariably trace back to bad bad gutter placement, bad technique around the foundation and/or not properly accounting for water flow on the property. Once you're at the point where you have water up against your basement wall a leak is inevitable. While it's an unhelpful answer once you're there, sometimes the conclusion is "No one should have built a basement here."

Last edited: