Home Improvement

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
When i took apart the shroud it felt "factory", likw no one has touched those sheet metal screws cuz the torque felt the same or could just be me.

I know the previos owner didnt get it serviced since he had the house in 2017, he cme by to pick up his swing and he said he took care of everything himself. Which is freaky cuz the garage opener sounded like a death rattle to hades, when i opened it up. It needed lots of lube and the chain had to be tightened cuz it was slapping againt the rail

I had to fix leaky toilets and showers and i know some drains dont stop water and i have to rebuild both spigots, water just shoots out of the anti siphon valve

Not to mention i alreay had to fix two lights that were ghost flickering cuz of bad wire nutting (which is why im replacing this whole house with wagos soon)

And a 3 way switch that somes becomes a 4 way switch.

I cant believe this, i swear when i get my kansas housr inspected to sell its gonna be A+++

Sounds like he pretended to fix shit, but is just lazy.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If he's the guy who put up shelves in the closets, it is probably a good thing he never touched anything.
The closet rods were fucking gas pipes
20210710_135512.jpg

Like just buy regular heavy duty closet rods, guy

Atm i am just gonna put up 2 96in closet rods in here just so i canshove all the clothes somewhere, then i ll start demo and patching

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think I'm on board with the black pipe closet rods. Especially if you had them on hand. Probably better than an actual closet rod in every way and it's not like you spend a lot of time looking at them once there are clothes hanging on them.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I think I'm on board with the black pipe closet rods. Especially if you had them on hand. Probably better than an actual closet rod in every way and it's not like you spend a lot of time looking at them once there are clothes hanging on them.

Only downside is that the black can rub off on the hangers, and then rub off on your white shirts.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The closet rods were fucking gas pipes
View attachment 361810

Like just buy regular heavy duty closet rods, guy

Atm i am just gonna put up 2 96in closet rods in here just so i canshove all the clothes somewhere, then i ll start demo and patching

Looks like you’ve got about $23,000 in wood right there. I’d hold on to it. Also keep that pipe to make you some pipe clamps down the road.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I got a 25k budget I just saved up and wife wants me to get going on big yard improvements.

we need everything.
Trees down
Gutters
Drainage in the back
Then landscaping
Architectural improvements

any thoughts on pieces that are reasonable to diy to save good money? Some of this I have zero interest in doing myself (low incremental value to work ratio —— or too dangerous like trees)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I got a 25k budget I just saved up and wife wants me to get going on big yard improvements.

we need everything.
Trees down
Gutters
Drainage in the back
Then landscaping
Architectural improvements

any thoughts on pieces that are reasonable to diy to save good money? Some of this I have zero interest in doing myself (low incremental value to work ratio —— or too dangerous like trees)
i researched 2 of these subjects since my inspector said they might be issues

gutters you probably want a pro to do, while you can goto HD and buy gutters, you'll have to seam them together and it doesn't look nice
b6fb0ef40b38a89e23bbcb91e28fa5b7.png

pros have a truck and a roll of metal and just roll out the length of seamless gutter you need.

if youre gonna do drainage, you'll have to figure out slope and you'll need to tie rope to a stake, old man pro has a good video on knots for it

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'll second seamless gutters. Some guys will even come to your house and roll them out and just leave them if you want to put them out yourself. I did the jointed ones on the front of my house last summer because I didn't want to beg someone to come out to the sticks but every joint leaks even though I caulked them. I sprayed the worst one with flex seal and don't ask me how it's possible but I swear it made the leak worse.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i started using spectracide a week ago, that didn't do shit, just made the weeds look wimpy,

got an order of this on sale at woot for 30bucks
5b5148795965bdad1f53e6f6584c671b.png

yea thats doing the trick, broadleaf, creaping charlie, all this weird looking shit i never seen before that doesn't look like grass, i spray and it dies.

already mixed up 6 gallons, christ

the funny thing is the previous owner came around to pick up a swing and i talked to him...

he likes to fucking mow lawns, wtf!!! he even mowed the adjoining neighbors yard (cuz it's fenced in) and the other neighbors yard when it was a rental for a few months.

i'm glad he took away his swing set, he gave me some sad sob story about it being the last thing he and his dad built together... that a-frame swing was rickety and fucking scary, i sat and swung in that thing and felt like it was gonna fall over, he also took down a tire swing, thank god! the neighborhood kids played on that thing for the 4th and the straps on it were like half gone, i don't need a kid flying off on my property.

BUT i did go around and made it known that the previous guy took back his swing set, and i didn't take it down, so he looks like the asshole for taking back his stuff and i don't look like the child hating dude, i know how to look like a good neighbor!

anyway onto gallon 7, jesus

remember wheni was anti- chemicals, haha those were the good days

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Does that shit kill moss that likes grow in cracks in your driveway? I tried pressure washing them out and they just come right back.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Does that shit kill moss that likes grow in cracks in your driveway? I tried pressure washing them out and they just come right back.
i'll tell you in a week, this one tree i have is like a smurf moss village, but to be honest i easily killed moss in my expansion joints with table salt and vinegar

don't even have to drench it, just a quick spray is enough

i keep a bottle full of vinegar for cleaning house and mold
36886dc84080baad44835dd440a41456.png

use a real spray bottle, not the wimpy ones you get when you buy windex for full leafy coverage.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
jesus christ, did i move to tennessee or texas? the bugs here are huge!, mosquitoes have no chill, just decide to land on my hand and as big as my thumb.

now i gotta dig out my ppe, bug net and do lawn in lawn sleeves again

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
jesus christ, did i move to tennessee or texas? the bugs here are huge!, mosquitoes have no chill, just decide to land on my hand and as big as my thumb.

now i gotta dig out my ppe, bug net and do lawn in lawn sleeves again
Hrm. Anywhere in humid Midwest area is all insect infested. Mosquitos, spiders, ants.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Problem with those southern and mid southern areas is they do not have an extended frost and freeze cycle so bugs have a longer life span than the northern states where they die off when shit freezes.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Problem with those southern and mid southern areas is they do not have an extended frost and freeze cycle so bugs have a longer life span than the northern states where they die off when shit freezes.
I was in the interior of Alaska. Mosquitos were so thick I had to cover my mouth so I wouldn't breathe them in.

• 1Barf

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Oh im not saying there is no insects in the north, lol. Any standing water wil breed mosquitos like a mo-fo. And im sure the melt in Alaska has a ton of standing water. Im just saying shit like spiders, flies, termites, wasps centipedes all grow way fucking larger and live longer because of the climate.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Oh im not saying there is no insects in the north, lol. Any standing water wil breed mosquitos like a mo-fo. And im sure the melt in Alaska has a ton of standing water. Im just saying shit like spiders, flies, termites, wasps centipedes all grow way fucking larger and live longer because of the climate.
Yeah, I know what you where saying. It reminded me of when I was there. I was in Taiwan during monsoon season, and many bugs were so big they had landing lights.

• 1Worf

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I was in the interior of Alaska. Mosquitos were so thick I had to cover my mouth so I wouldn't breathe them in.

Yeah I'm from Louisiana and lived 20+ years in Texas. Had nothing on the time I was in Alaska as far as mosquitos.

The entire southeast is way ahead of average for rainfall this year, in many areas on track to break all time rainfall amounts.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
got time to get into wiring

christ they literally give me 1inch of wire to work with, they were being cheap.

also, this crimping ground is ok?
20210715_104720.jpg

i don't think theres an issue, of course i'll just slap a wago on it, but i can't even get in there (i'll redo the other 2wire wago)

i literally couldn't fit my smart switch in there tho w/o wagos