Home Improvement

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Does anybody have leafguard gutters or something similar and like them? Our new house is surrounded by oak trees and I'm already sick of cleaning gutters and half the leaves haven't even fallen.

When I lived in an oak forest in CA, I self-installed something similar I got at one of the big-box stores and unless they've improved them a lot, I wouldn't bother. I had to lift them off every year to clear out the "flowers" from the trees that fell through the mesh and to remove the leaves that stuck to the material. It seemed like every time the rain came down in buckets, I was out there in a rain suit trying to brush away the leaves so the water would run into the gutters and not over them. I removed them after a couple of years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Does anybody have leafguard gutters or something similar and like them? Our new house is surrounded by oak trees and I'm already sick of cleaning gutters and half the leaves haven't even fallen.
Just click this if you happen to see it. Let us know how it goes.

24796586-7966-409E-B607-C9482D61CB94.jpeg

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
My previous house had leafguard gutters. They worked to keep 90% of the pinestraw and leaf debris out of the gutters. The biggest problem I had with them was they were a pain to get back in position if they were bent or moved (hail, squirrels, etc).

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I had a house with one of those hinged mesh covers. It was FAR easier just to clean the gutters a couple times a year than it was to maintain that bullshit.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I had a house with one of those hinged mesh covers. It was FAR easier just to clean the gutters a couple times a year than it was to maintain that bullshit.
Hm actually that sounds more like what I had. They were -ok- but they weren’t really less effort having them than not having them. I just had to clean those parts with the mesh differently than the parts without the mesh.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for all the input! Not going to worry about this, sounds like a nightmare.
I haven’t ever been in a heavily wooded area on the houses I’ve had but we did get some in my first house. I just climbed up with a leaf blower and blew them all out. Then muck out the heavy/wet stuff by hand.

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven’t ever been in a heavily wooded area on the houses I’ve had but we did get some in my first house. I just climbed up with a leaf blower and blew them all out. Then muck out the heavy/wet stuff by hand.
This is what I'll end up doing, but wasn't sure if I could save myself 30 years of doing this by cheating somehow.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx why did you buy a drone just to check on your gutters?

i'm fucking afraid of being wheelchair Lanx

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If trees are tall enough and close enough to get leaves in your gutters, you should consider cutting them down. Them fucker's roots coming for your foundation or septic tank.

And if they're walnut trees, cut them down anyway.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
If trees are tall enough and close enough to get leaves in your gutters, you should consider cutting them down. Them fucker's roots coming for your foundation or septic tank.

And if they're walnut trees, cut them down anyway.

Wind can carry leaves a long way. I had a bunch of oaks that were 50 feet away minimum and my roof was constantly covered.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
speaking of gutters, since i just did a powerwash clean, i have this on 3 out of 4 gutters
Image-from-Modern-Clean-Not-roof-Refresh.jpg

i'm assuming theyre clogged, is the only way to clean it and "eject" it out is to take it apart and stick a hose down it?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
speaking of gutters, since i just did a powerwash clean, i have this on 3 out of 4 gutters
Image-from-Modern-Clean-Not-roof-Refresh.jpg

i'm assuming theyre clogged, is the only way to clean it and "eject" it out is to take it apart and stick a hose down it?

That's why you keep your gutters clean. If your downspouts go into the ground, as mine do, you don't want leaves clogging shit up.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
well i mean, i don't know the history of these gutters, lulz

But if they're going into the ground they drain somewhere. If you let leaves clog that up, your gutters become useless, your downspouts will over flow, and you'll have water where you shouldn't.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
well i mean, i don't know the history of these gutters, lulz
As big dirk says, it drains somewhere. Find that spot. If you see it’s clogged, separate the downspout from the ground pipe if you can so you push water through more forcefully.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
But if they're going into the ground they drain somewhere. If you let leaves clog that up, your gutters become useless, your downspouts will over flow, and you'll have water where you shouldn't.
yea it drains to the in ground pop up
21d4ce34e13415f1a689eab92f98f96d.png

but on a rainy day, i never saw any of the 3 pop up