Home Improvement

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
yea it drains to the in ground pop up
21d4ce34e13415f1a689eab92f98f96d.png

but on a rainy day, i never saw any of the 3 pop up
I declined popups on my house because it was pretty obvious they would be annoying to unclog all the time.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
yea it drains to the in ground pop up
21d4ce34e13415f1a689eab92f98f96d.png

but on a rainy day, i never saw any of the 3 pop up
IMO it's not worth having buried drains if they are corrugated. They should empty into smooth pvc (schedule 40) which won't crush and can be cleared easily. Combo of corrugated pipe and popups seems like a lot of maintenance to me.

FWIW I had "gutter helmet" on one of my homes in the past. Its a solid cover that uses surface tension to roll the water over the edge into the gutter. It worked great unless you were in a monsoon. Super heavy rain would only get 50% into the gutter. Under normal circumstances, though, no leaves or junk got in.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
IMO it's not worth having buried drains if they are corrugated. They should empty into smooth pvc (schedule 40) which won't crush and can be cleared easily. Combo of corrugated pipe and popups seems like a lot of maintenance to me.

FWIW I had "gutter helmet" on one of my homes in the past. Its a solid cover that uses surface tension to roll the water over the edge into the gutter. It worked great unless you were in a monsoon. Super heavy rain would only get 50% into the gutter. Under normal circumstances, though, no leaves or junk got in.
my 3 spouts are pvc

concerning is i took the pipe off one (i can't see where it leads b/c i assume it travels along a newly poured cement slab) and i just turned my hose on the drain and i didn't see it pop up once or backflow

i actually have a sewer cleaner, so i'll use that to see whats up
1b2b9dcff82e09a03cb30408c5e8475e.png

this thing saved my pipes in the ks house, in that house the basement kitchen sink backed up, i never used this sink ever, but (from positioning) it's right below the 1st floor kitchen so the pipes are shared. long story short, the amount of gunk in those pipes was disgusting and packed, no amount of draino (i used thrift) could get through it, it had to be with this. (auger didn't help much either, and it had to be this particular one, with the small head b/c i guess there were a lot of twists and bends in the piping).

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Have been fighting with the single car garage door on my woodshop for about a month. Trying and trying to align the sensors and finally today was leaving the rehab facility and decided screw it, just gonna call someone. Guy gets there about an hour later and I'm like, "Man just do whatever you need but don't tell me about it when you fix it in 2 minutes and make me look like an idiot. Oh and can you check out my two car garage door, it jiggles a little too much. I've gotta get on a conference call so just do whatever as long as it isn't thousands of dollars."

Good news is he confirmed that the sensor was actually broken and it wasn't just me. Or maybe it was and he just wanted a quick $70 or whatever.

My two car garage door 18x7 is completely fucked. Looks like it was hit and the previous owner tried to fix it. Huge crack running down it, whole thing is twisted. Brackets were barely hanging on. He just goes, "Sooooo you mentioned you didn't want to spend a couple thousand?" Fuck it, just replace the whole thing. Turns out it is like a month+ lead time if I want one with windows. Do I need windows? Who knows! The current one does, all my neighbors do, my woodshop one does. Fine... get me the one with windows it is $200 more.

$2,500 later I get to wait a month or more for them to come put it in.

Oh, then I decided that since my girlfriend won't be here for 30 - 60 days and I'm cooking for myself, fuck the electric range and oven. So bought a new gas range that'll be here next week. If I'm doing the cooking I'm doing it my way, and that electric shit is going. She says she doesn't care but she'll thank me. Or I'll just keep doing the cooking since it doesn't take me 8 pans and 3 measuring cups and a cookie sheet to make a turkey and cheese sandwich.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Have been fighting with the single car garage door on my woodshop for about a month. Trying and trying to align the sensors and finally today was leaving the rehab facility and decided screw it, just gonna call someone. Guy gets there about an hour later and I'm like, "Man just do whatever you need but don't tell me about it when you fix it in 2 minutes and make me look like an idiot. Oh and can you check out my two car garage door, it jiggles a little too much. I've gotta get on a conference call so just do whatever as long as it isn't thousands of dollars."

Good news is he confirmed that the sensor was actually broken and it wasn't just me. Or maybe it was and he just wanted a quick $70 or whatever.

My two car garage door 18x7 is completely fucked. Looks like it was hit and the previous owner tried to fix it. Huge crack running down it, whole thing is twisted. Brackets were barely hanging on. He just goes, "Sooooo you mentioned you didn't want to spend a couple thousand?" Fuck it, just replace the whole thing. Turns out it is like a month+ lead time if I want one with windows. Do I need windows? Who knows! The current one does, all my neighbors do, my woodshop one does. Fine... get me the one with windows it is $200 more.

$2,500 later I get to wait a month or more for them to come put it in.

Oh, then I decided that since my girlfriend won't be here for 30 - 60 days and I'm cooking for myself, fuck the electric range and oven. So bought a new gas range that'll be here next week. If I'm doing the cooking I'm doing it my way, and that electric shit is going. She says she doesn't care but she'll thank me. Or I'll just keep doing the cooking since it doesn't take me 8 pans and 3 measuring cups and a cookie sheet to make a turkey and cheese sandwich.
Ah the joys of home ownership.

You did check to make sure you have a gas hookup first right?

Speaking of ovens I saw there is one now that has an air fryer setting. I want that shit!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Ah the joys of home ownership.

You did check to make sure you have a gas hookup first right?

Speaking of ovens I saw there is one now that has an air fryer setting. I want that shit!

Yeah, there’s gas there. First thing I checked when we were looking at the house and saw the terrible electric stove. Plumber is coming just to give it a once over and make sure everything is kosher and there’s not some reason they weren’t using it already. Maybe the guy’s wife prefers electric. Who knows.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My stove has an "air fry" mode on it. I haven't used it though. I don't know what the difference is between air fry and just regular convection or if there is one.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My stove has an "air fry" mode on it. I haven't used it though. I don't know what the difference is between air fry and just regular convection or if there is one.
I think there is but I’ve never researched enough to see how air frying works. I just know we had a convection oven and could not make crispy sweet potato fries in it. My neighbor did with her little countertop air fryer though.

Edit: looked it up and it looks like it’s just convection at a higher temp. So maybe we could have done it if we went higher.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This is the same Samsung model that I used in my previous home kitchen remodel, maybe like 1 year newer or whatever. The only issue this one has is that the layout of the cast iron, I'll call them "tines" is such that smaller pots would be off balance and could tip to void. But I looked at everything else and they're all very similar with the exception of a KitchenAid model and one other one. And then it comes down to matching stainless between models.

I will say that Total Tech from Best Buy has already paid for it self by covering the delivery, installation, and haul off of the new appliances.

1637165281664.png

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This is the same Samsung model that I used in my previous home kitchen remodel, maybe like 1 year newer or whatever. The only issue this one has is that the layout of the cast iron, I'll call them "tines" is such that smaller pots would be off balance and could tip to void. But I looked at everything else and they're all very similar with the exception of a KitchenAid model and one other one. And then it comes down to matching stainless between models.

I will say that Total Tech from Best Buy has already paid for it self by covering the delivery, installation, and haul off of the new appliances.

View attachment 382882
There are various shape and size “gas ring reducers” you can get for stabilizing small pots.

Ilsa Gas Ring Reducer, 5-Inch, Cast Iron, Black
KitchenCraft Gas Ring Reducer Trivet, Galvanised Iron, 12 cm

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i wouldn't trust that shit, the only reason an air fryer can work well (the 8qt and less models) is because they can get really hot (400+) and spin that hot air around

but of course with bigger ovens you instantly loose that heat w/ more volume

also i've had 3 air fryers and i would not recommend one that doesn't have AT LEAST 425degrees, any less and the fry effect would feel weak

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Or just use your convection oven for precisely the same results.
I think the smaller size of the fryers might help. We tried with our convection oven and it didn’t work. Like I said though, maybe if we went higher heat than the recipe called for it would’ve worked, idk. Don’t have convection oven in our new house.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
For me, the point of a stand alone air fryer is that when I use it, I'm using a maximum of 1500 watts vs. 3500 watts for my oven. Electricity is cheap in ID but really fucking expensive in AZ.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Or just use your convection oven for precisely the same results.

Air fryers are just miniature convection ovens with fancier packaging. The small form factor creates significant limiations with heating elements and air circulation. This is the best-rated "air fryer" by Wirecutter:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Air fryers are just miniature convection ovens with fancier packaging. The small form factor creates significant limiations with heating elements and air circulation. This is the best-rated "air fryer" by Wirecutter:

looks like it can go up to 450 for convection, so thats a go

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have that thing. It's great. I hardly ever use my big oven anymore. I didn't bother to buy a microwave either when I moved (old place had a built in microwave) and after a year and a half I have only missed it a few times. Use the toaster oven almost daily.