Home Improvement

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, that seems ok. It's the in door ones that seem odd.

I guess the idea is that you open the fridge less and therefore the fridge uses less energy and keeps your food better. I mean that's a fine idea. I just don't see that it realistically works that way.

Maybe at a resturaunt or something.

I've lived in the south for over 30 years and only ever had one half gallon of milk go bad because I was opening the fridge too often. And to be fair, I was opening the fridge too damn often.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I have an icemaker, but not an in-door dispenser. It just makes ice and drops it in a container in the freezer. It's fantastic. This is the first time I've ever had one, and I anticipate always having one henceforth.

This is probably the route I'll go when I finally replace my fridge. I have good appliances, albeit old, but I'm wary of replacing them because of all the problems I hear about with newer brands/models.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
doing yearly maintenance on the ac unit. insulation on foam is still great, fins are still straight (i did em 2 years ago), i did spray with a power washer, i wasn't worried cuz i can control the power of it. Then i loaded up some dishsoap in a garden sprayer and spayed and let it soak. I laid out a bunch of cardboard (i have a lot of amazon boxes, lulz) and spray itd again hours later, tons of black gunk came out)

so my question is, anyone use those foaming ac coil cleaners? or is dishsoap good enough? i've been digging it out getting ready to re-level it with gravel, then i'll be done. with this.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We use the coil cleaner at work for big ass condenser units, lots of black shit comes out when you rinse. I'd imagine it would do a better job then dish soap since it foams which gives it longer adhesion and gets in more nooks and crannies.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Electrical question:

In my kitchen I have 4 can lights that are only controlled by a single switch on the wall.

I added a chandelier to the kitchen, like I cut a hole, did the retrofit "fan" housing thing, I put some 12/2 romex in it from the ceiling, then hooked it up to the chandelier. The other end of the romex is just sitting in the attic, so the light has no power.

I am asking for help how I can add this chandelier to same circuit as my can lights. I know like any electrical wires that are joined need to be in a "box." Can I simply buy a box, then cut in half one of the electrical runs to the can lights, then just simply add my chandelier romex into that? So like I would cut on wire in half, then basically twist the two previous black wires with my new black wire for the chandelier, same for white, and ground? And make sure that's all contained in a box?

Thank you

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yes, and you can likely just run it over to the existing can light and use it. they usually have jumpers to connect up to 3 additional fixtures.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Finally dug out and levelled where the shed is going supposedly tomorrow, although they never called to confirm the day before like they said they would. Used all that dirt to fill in some eroded spots in my front yard by the road. Put down gravel too so hopefully it helps.

While I was up there it smelled like death but I didn't see anything noticable dead. The flies were pinging me hard though so I looked in my flower bed and found a dead adult bunny.

This is the 4th dead bunny in as many years in my yard that I've had to bury. Just a nice cap to a shitty weekend n

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Deck before and after.

IMG_20190628_151249156.jpg

DSC_0310.JPG

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Is your whole back yard pebbles?

Live in Nevada or something? Or a long a beach?

It's a neat look, but it would be so infested with weeds inside 6 months around here.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My eyes are twitching now

I spent my vacation preparing my yard for our shed install today

AND

THEY

DIDNT

SHOW

UP

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So someone finally answered

"The contractor had a family emergency and we were just about to call you" at 1030AM mind you

Rescheduled for this coming Sunday

I complained about the lack of communication in the entire process and the person on the phone said the local office didn't even have someone employed full time until this week when they hired her

So, don't buy sheds from Lowes. And now I'm wondering how this install is going to go...

Vinen

God is dead
So someone finally answered

"The contractor had a family emergency and we were just about to call you" at 1030AM mind you

Rescheduled for this coming Sunday

I complained about the lack of communication in the entire process and the person on the phone said the local office didn't even have someone employed full time until this week when they hired her

So, don't buy sheds from Lowes. And now I'm wondering how this install is going to go...

Lowes sub-contracts out. Same as if you walk into Home Depot and they have all those people selling various appliances, work, etc. Thats all subcontracted out to local contractors.

This is no different than what you'd get from a random contractor you didn't personally vet ahead of time.

As an aside. All thats left in my house is the Kitchen. Downstairs is done and cleaned. Floors look fucking amazing. Will take a picture when I get home today.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Lowes sub-contracts out. Same as if you walk into Home Depot and they have all those people selling various appliances, work, etc. Thats all subcontracted out to local contractors.

This is no different than what you'd get from a random contractor you didn't personally vet ahead of time.

As an aside. All thats left in my house is the Kitchen. Downstairs is done and cleaned. Floors look fucking amazing. Will take a picture when I get home today.
Oh yeah I get that. Just the entire process has been trash

The company Lowe's has that manages all shed installs (one level above this contractor) is the real shit part. They don't respond to phone calls

Vinen

God is dead
Oh yeah I get that. Just the entire process has been trash

The company Lowe's has that manages all shed installs (one level above this contractor) is the real shit part. They don't respond to phone calls

You get what you pay for when you work with Lowes or Home Depot. Its why they offer such competitive pricing.

orcmauler

Golden Squire
It could be worse Noodle. I had lowes do my deck in NC. They sub contracted, of course. The store delivered the wrong items, damaged my yard and a bunch of other crap. The subs called them on it and the driver accused us of stealing the delivery. Luckily I had taken pictures of everything, so his threat to call the police on me didn't go anywhere. After all that drama the deck was still a POS.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Lowes fucked up my delivery of shingles when i had coordinated with a roofer. Ended up getting half off after explaining the deal so I wouldn't hesitate to make some complaint calls. That stuff they sub you're prob less likely to make any progress though but it is their shed.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We had them sub a fence for us and it was awesome. Way under everyone else's quote and the guys came on the weekend to finish it when they ran out of time Friday

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Okay bros,

Our renters just moved out of one of the ranch houses and I'm planning to move into it. Before I do though, I want to do some work on it. The #1 issue is the flooring upstairs is all shot. The house is 40 years old and the flooring is all original. The house sat empty for a few years but the floors are fucked. Right now it's sheet vinyl in the living room/dining room and the bathrooms, carpet in the living room and bedrooms.

I am planning to rip it all out and replace it with a single flooring throughout. Probably some hardwood pattern either laminate or vinyl planks. I'm thinking of installing it myself but I could be talked out of it if that's a bad idea. I've been hearing about how far vinyl has come in recent years and I'm pretty interested in it. Not really a fan of tile. It's too cold and hard and too much work to install. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money but I live in the country and have multiple dogs that come inside and possibly kids in the future as well. There is going to be mud tracked in so my priorities are going to be durability, not showing dirt, ability to stand some water, and being easy to clean.

Any thoughts?