Home Improvement

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
So...I wasn't present when the bill was being paid..apparently while the bill was being paid he let them know that there was no warranty on the work because he was tying onto existing plumbing.

I know this because apparently the "estimate" I have doesn't mention "NO WARRANTY" but their paperwork does.

First...why would a fucking place tell a person that there would be no warranty...AFTER work is done.

"Hey, we are licensed and bonded but as soon as we drive away, you are on our own!" Quality warranty...

Second...when I was talking to the lady she mentioned "Well the work was done a while ago, back in august of last year."

OKay so, a 7 month life on a line you fix is asking too much? I mean shit, when the plumber that was like "Naah fuck this I'm out" from my home warranty showed up, even he was like "Dude they should honor fixing their shit up to about a year". 7 months, would you drywall over a "Fix" if the dude was like "Yeah this shit MIGHT last a year..."

Third...what the fuck did this guy even do. It LOOKS like re-used my old manifold.

Old shit:

1581663731192.png

New Hotness:

1581663716345.png

I mean shit, it still has the black shit on it from when they tarred up shit on the site back in the 80's. Did he clean the concrete off that shit? Nope that was me.

iannis

Musty Nester
What did he do?

Took your money, that's what he did.

Leave a bad review wherever you can. There's a local company that did my uncle a similar way (can't tell what the hell they even did when the job was done). Don't use them again, tell everyone that's interested that they're basically running scams. One voice doesn't mean very much, but if they did it to you it wasn't the first time and you're not the first guy.

A couple of "these guys are horrible" reviews on a local listing has been plenty enough to turn me away on the occassions where i've got some work either to big or to annoying to DIY.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
So, got a call back from the Master Plumber who also echoed the owners statement of, "It's been nearly 7 months since the work was done!"

Yay.

Top it off he extends an "olive branch" and requests pictures and video to see if it's leaking.

turn on the water full blast and nothing...not so much as a dribble. This house finds new and mysterious ways of fucking me every day it seems.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i woke up today and my wife is like, that sink is frozen again, i said "we have two sinks, use the other one"

why one freezes and the other doesn't? i have no clue, i just know it's extra cold outside then.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Well, I got the "Go ahead" from the wife to start hacking up the house again to fix this shit. Yay, this is gunna be fun...

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
well you have more than 1 bathroom right? so it's not like it'll hamper life, just looks messy

Unfortunately...No...

we do have 2 baths BUT...this is the main ingress to the bathrooms for water, hot in this case. The "Long job" is segmented water for each location so I can turn off water to bath 1 or bath 2 and still have water elsewhere.

The "Good part" as I said earlier though, is that the problem somehow fixed itself for now. BUT...I just bought 100ft of PEX and all the materials I need to PEX up this location to the rest of the house.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Those cold zones things I wonder about at times. In Baton Rouge which is near the gulf an hour north of New Orleans it's "always" hot. I remember in 1989 it got down to 2 degrees for 2 days. Luckily my parents had pipes run up through the attic but they hugged the fireplace so they burned a fire all the time which helped. My sister managed apartment complexes then. The amount of shit that broke took months to fix from frozen pipes everywhere. I mean all it takes is 2-3 days of really abnormal cold to fuck your day up pretty bad.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
So...I wasn't present when the bill was being paid..apparently while the bill was being paid he let them know that there was no warranty on the work because he was tying onto existing plumbing.

I know this because apparently the "estimate" I have doesn't mention "NO WARRANTY" but their paperwork does.

First...why would a fucking place tell a person that there would be no warranty...AFTER work is done.

"Hey, we are licensed and bonded but as soon as we drive away, you are on our own!" Quality warranty...

Second...when I was talking to the lady she mentioned "Well the work was done a while ago, back in august of last year."

OKay so, a 7 month life on a line you fix is asking too much? I mean shit, when the plumber that was like "Naah fuck this I'm out" from my home warranty showed up, even he was like "Dude they should honor fixing their shit up to about a year". 7 months, would you drywall over a "Fix" if the dude was like "Yeah this shit MIGHT last a year..."

Third...what the fuck did this guy even do. It LOOKS like re-used my old manifold.

Old shit:

View attachment 249080

New Hotness:

View attachment 249079

I mean shit, it still has the black shit on it from when they tarred up shit on the site back in the 80's. Did he clean the concrete off that shit? Nope that was me.

It actually looks like he didn't solder anything. It looks like he stuck on a repair clamp over your old work and the clamp didn't work.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
It actually looks like he didn't solder anything. It looks like he stuck on a repair clamp over your old work and the clamp didn't work.

I mean I KNOW what the problem is and where it was.

About 1/2 an inch up from the slab was a nail, hit dead center into a pipe...by me...not far mind you, I didn't go thru the entire thing.

---

Fuck me, I just checked how high the coupling is and I am PRETTY sure that his coupling is AT or MISSED the puncture.

I honest to god don't know what the fuck he did.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Anyone have a decent cheap place to buy cabinets online? I'm not looking for top tier here, would not even mind putting them together either.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Do you want "cheap" or do you want inexpensive/good value?

Check out Fabuwood and call up some local dealers to get pricing. I had them installed in my first floor apartment and they are a really nice product for the price.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have a decent cheap place to buy cabinets online? I'm not looking for top tier here, would not even mind putting them together either.
I bought mid-upper tier cabinets pre-assembled from thertastore. I know they sell cheaper cabinets where assembly is required. We are very happy with the quality.

EDIT: Also if you send them your plans they will review your layout and double-check your measurements and offer solutions to potential problems.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Compare with local traditional options before pulling the trigger. Once you have a detailed quote it's pretty easy to compare. I ended up going with lowes during a sale, with raise.com gift cards and a coupon to for the best deal after deciding I wanted all plywood construction. For rentals ive used a local place as well that has a value line. You can get cabinets so shitty you're lucky to get them in place before they fall apart so shopping 100% by price is tough.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Compare with local traditional options before pulling the trigger. Once you have a detailed quote it's pretty easy to compare. I ended up going with lowes during a sale, with raise.com gift cards and a coupon to for the best deal after deciding I wanted all plywood construction. For rentals ive used a local place as well that has a value line. You can get cabinets so shitty you're lucky to get them in place before they fall apart so shopping 100% by price is tough.

Yeah, I hear you man. I want at least something decent, I dont even mind HDPE painted door fronts but I want at least solid plywood interiors and solid wood face frames. Were not going to be sticking around here for long and kitchen is the last room that needs to be done. Shit thats in there right now is 1971 pressboard. Its bad. I cant even inagine them doing this stuff back then in what is a more upscale sub like mine.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Here's my example, actual prices are 43% of what's listed. Plywood is thin, can't remember if 3/8 or 1/4 but still better than press board. Painted wood face which is a decent premium over thermoplastic.

Screenshot_20200218-130618_Drive.jpg

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thats actually not that bad, price wise. Thanks for the infos. I guess I will get a list together of the kitchen and start pricing this shit out.