Home Workout Equipment

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If there was another thread just merge this with that, didn't see one.

I'm looking at buying these adjustable dumbbells:

Amazon.com: Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbell (Single): Sports Outdoors

I'm also looking to buy an adjustable bench. I need something that can do 180/flat, 45, 90 degrees. There's a bowflex 3.1 bench but not sure how good it was.

Anyone used these before that can give an opinion? Are there better brands? I trust Bowflex, so it's my first instinct. Don't want to waste $270/each if the quality is bad.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have a set ofthesethat I really like, I forget why I purchased them over the bowflex because it was about a year ago but I seem to recall something about the bowflex reviews that had turned me off. They might take a little bit longer to switch out the weights but it really isn't too bad.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I would think you could get a whole Bowflex machine off Craigslist for the price of a set of those dumbbells, but maybe those machines aren't any good at any price. I really don't know much about them except that I've seen various used ones for sale.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Many of the meatheads on bb.com hate the selecttech. Mostly citing that they're relatively fragile for weights.

I have a powerblock and it works quite well. Nice and solid design.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Craigslist is full of people that buy expensive workout equipment and never use it, and then sell it for cheap. Keep an eye on your local page for a while, you're bound to find all sorts of stuff. And with dumbells, it's not like you have to worry about them not working like you would with treadmills or ellipticals with moving/electric parts.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
^^ I got a real set of dumbbells for $300 on craigslist, with a stand.

I also have the bowflex bench and it seems pretty solid. It does a great job of collecting dust in my basement along with my dumbells and my exercise bike.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Many of the meatheads on bb.com hate the selecttech. Mostly citing that they're relatively fragile for weights.

I have a powerblock and it works quite well. Nice and solid design.
Also have Power Blocks, vouch that they're extremely solid and easy to use. Grip feels great in your hand, don't get too bulky or long even with 70 or so per hand.

Not sure how the other products work, but only downside is that removing the additional 5 pounds from the grip can be a hassle. I wish I had the stand; I have a relatively small apartment and they're always in the way.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I've always considered home workout equipment a supplement for the gym. You really need to spend a couple grand minimum to get a decent home setup that can replace a gym.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have a gym membership as well.

I'm looking at starting with adjustable dumbbells and a bench and then moving on to a power rack for deadlifts and squats (and curls, I gues). At that point I'm mostly set for supplementing the gym. We have a treadmill too, but at 225 it hates my weight.

lindz

#DDs
I bought an elliptical a few months ago and love being able to jump on it for 30 minutes whenever I'm in the mood. Sometimes it won't get used for a week if things get busy, but its nice to have at home.

I think it can do up to 375 lbs max weight.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've always considered home workout equipment a supplement for the gym. You really need to spend a couple grand minimum to get a decent home setup that can replace a gym.
I'm thinking of making a DIY power rack this summer using the power of 2x4s and 4x4s.

Something like this
vy1sk.jpg

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
How about you folks post some pictures of yourselves, what your routine is and what purpose it serves you.

i recommend a pull up bar, and you think I'm referring to doing kipping pull-ups? I assure you I have never (intentionally) tried to do kipping pull-ups.

As far as kettlebells, why is it a fad, or what it sounds like what you're saying, a joke? The off center weight with a big handle to work your grip is great for building strength, explosiveness, and stability muscles that you can't do with a set of dumbbells. Swings, squats, cleans and press, pistols, Turkish get ups... It works and it puts your body through hell. I guarantee you wouldn't last 5 minutes in a fight with me, endurance wise.

Olympic lifting is great. Compound lifts are always good. And if you have the money and space for a squat rack, by all means get one. But, if you're going to get a set of dumbbells, you're not really doing yourself much good.