Home Workout Equipment

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Diet is the key to getting in shape. It doesn't matter how much jogging you do or how many push ups and sit ups you do if you're eating thousands of calories over your maintenance every day. That's why you constantly see out of shape people in the gym day in and day out; they "work out" and then go next door to the Jamaican eatery and gorge on spicy meat pies.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Only if you are defining being in shape only as not being overweight.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
It's about living a healthy lifestyle. Not just lifting heavy shit. From a nutritional standpoint, you should be taking in the right foods to be at peak performance, and honestly life longevity.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
No shit, but he said it doesn't matter if you work out if you're not eating right. All I'm saying is that you can improve your strength and cardiovascular condition even if you are still overweight.

McCheese

Only if you are defining being in shape only as not being overweight.
I define "in shape" as having an overall healthy body, which includes not being grossly overweight, underweight, having some moderate muscle mass, and good internal health. Exercise helps to a point, but if you're still pounding horribly unhealthy foods and destroying your body internally, I don't consider you "in shape." The people I referred to do this; sure, they can do some pushups and jog for a mile or two, but I don't consider them "in shape" as long as they are taking in huge amounts of trans fats, sugars, and chemicals. Are they more "in shape" than someone who eats the same and doesn't exercise? Sure, I guess.

If a person had to choose between either changing their diet or moderate exercise in order to improve their overall health, I'd advise cleaning up their diet 100% of the time.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I define "in shape" as having an overall healthy body, which includes not being grossly overweight, underweight, having some moderate muscle mass, and good internal health. Exercise helps to a point, but if you're still pounding horribly unhealthy foods and destroying your body internally, I don't consider you "in shape." The people I referred to do this; sure, they can do some pushups and jog for a mile or two, but I don't consider them "in shape" as long as they are taking in huge amounts of trans fats, sugars, and chemicals. Are they more "in shape" than someone who eats the same and doesn't exercise? Sure, I guess.

If a person had to choose between either changing their diet or moderate exercise in order to improve their overall health, I'd advise cleaning up their diet 100% of the time.
So you're mostly basing your assessment on appearance rather than what you are capable of doing? In my book if you have a beer gut and a subpar diet but you can run a marathon your overall health is much better than someone that has a perfect diet and ideal body fat but a sedentary lifestyle.

McCheese

So you're mostly basing your assessment on appearance rather than what you are capable of doing? In my book if you have a beer gut and a subpar diet but you can run a marathon your overall health is much better than someone that has a perfect diet and ideal body fat but a sedentary lifestyle.
No, I said you need to have good internal health as well; i.e., good blood pressure, no problems with cholesterol, etc. That's a big part of it.

I also don't think that some arbitrary fitness test like running a marathon is a good measure of someone's health. I'm in great shape (both in terms of appearance and health) but I know there's no chance I could run a marathon. And yes, I think someone who is generally sedentary but rarely-if-ever puts garbage into their body is more likely to be healthier than an overweight person who shovels junk food all day but can somehow manage a marathon.

Anyway, it's a silly derail and we clearly have different ideas on what being "in shape" means. It's a vague term, but I'll be happy to talk about it further in the weight loss thread, though!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This thread needs a garlic infused coconut oil yogurt tampon.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
The point I've been trying to get at is that people make health way more complicated than it needs to be. I know this is a board full of nerds that want to min/max everything and figure out the perfect exercise, but I think that actually keeps people from doing anything. Thinking you will get in shape once you remodel your house to put in your home gym or once you read the latest book on dieting is just another form of procrastination. We (for the most part) are a bunch of middle-aged flabby dudes and not professional athletes. Fitness is a massive industry. There is almost always a diet book on the New York Times best seller list and there has been for the last 50 years. There are 100 magazines and 100 late night infomercials and 100 videos and 100,000 "experts" selling their services on this topic when the real answer is this:

Eat less, move more.

Everyone knows it, everyone can do it, everyone is looking for a way to cheat on it. Just go jogging or go for a bike ride and do some pushups when you get up in the morning and then do it every day. Once you're 6 months in you can start worrying about whether things are optimal or not, but 99% of people never make it 1 month, let alone 6 with whatever they're doing. The real obstacle is doing anything and sticking with it, not figuring out a bunch of bullshit that might be relevant to a pro athlete but doesn't really matter to your average fat guy.

I'm talking to myself here as much as anyone. I have done the transformational exercise and weight loss thing twice now. The longest I have kept it going was for like 2 years. I thought I had it down after the second time but then completely changed my career and lifestyle and haven't figured out how to make it work in my new life. Not because I can't, just because I haven't.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I just enjoy lifting weights. I was really mostly just looking for equipment reviews.................

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The problem with home exercise equipment is unless you are a millionaire you just won't ever be in shape. The key is muscle confusion so you need to work on a different machine every week. I mean sure, that hawaii chair might work that first week but then you'll see diminishing returns until your body gets so accustomed to it you'll actually start losing muscle. Why do you think God did something different everyday when he created everything? Muscle confusion bro, he was on the outs with Mrs. God and needed to find some new hoes.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
People were getting in shape for hundreds of years before some marketing dude invented the term "muscle confusion".

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
People were getting in shape for hundreds of years before some marketing dude invented the term "muscle confusion".
Are you really so ignorant to think that sports/fitness science hasn't evolved in 100 years? I mean just look at any regular joe athlete or even your run of the mill meathead at the gym and they're bigger than any strongman in the 1950s.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Of course, but that doesn't mean you need to be at the cutting edge of training to get in shape. If you are a professional athlete or bodybuilder then sure, go for it. I don't think that is what most of the people reading this are interested in and all you need to do to get in shape is do pretty much any kind of exercise and stick to it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Khane_sl said:
The key is muscle confusion so you need to work on a different machine every week.
I thought the term "muscle confusion" was pretty radioactive with most true fitness bros?