Home Workout Equipment

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
Thanks for ignoring 95% of my post. I suppose it should be expected to not be able to have a proper dialogue here. The only person at the moment that is worth talking to here is Brahma, as he's the only person with a picture I remember seeing.

Good luck with your bowflex.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Instead of soliciting pictures of topless men on the internet, why not just go practice flexing in front of a mirror some more.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
To get back on track... we do have some kettlebells. I do use them sometimes and will use them in conjunction with my dumbbells. I've always been more of a "I pick things up and put them down" kind of a guy. It's worked for me, I feel good after, and I enjoy the private time. I'm not trying to get into crazy shape, just build some mass and lean out. I do want to build one of those power racks, but with my construction knowledge I could see myself turning out paralyzed after one use.

On the elliptical machine.. tried it many times and I hate it. I hate running too. I prefer biking, but I hate stationary bikes so I'll do most cardio outside.

You guys have sold me on the powerblocks. After reading a lot of reviews they sound perfect for what I need.

Crossfit.. ugh.. it's the "big thing" at the office. They all try to get you to sign up, and it's all these fat dudes and you just know whatever they're doing is a mess. I'm waiting for someone at the office to become a paraplegic.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Kettlebells are awesome because you can do some great full body compound exercises with them. I wouldn't use them for body building, but like Celebrindal said, they're pretty cool for building functional strength (i.e., the kind of strength you'd need to get through some kind of obstacle course. Curls and bench presses won't help you much in that kind of situation).

Also, saying kettlebells are a "fad" is fucking retarded. They've been around for decades and been proven to be a legitimate tool for gaining strength. Comparing kettlebell training to crossfit is just stupid.

On topic, how confident would you be using a wooden power rack? I'd be paranoid as fuck doing any barbell exercises at home because I'd be afraid of crushing myself to death and having my children stumble upon my broken corpse when they came downstairs to call me to dinner.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
"dad.. come on upstairs your 3 burritos, 17 burgers, cold pizza rolls with pepperoni dip and no soda is ready... OH SHIT DAD"

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Kettlebells are absolutely a fad right now. That doesn't mean that they are worthless but the fact that they are a fad at this moment is indisputable.

That 2x6 rack is more than strong enough. Vertical 2x4's hold up the roof of your house, you're not going to break 2x6's with your squat bar no matter how swoll you are. Wood is very strong vertically. The 2000 lb waterbed I had when I was a kid sat on 1/2" plywood.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Kettlebells are absolutely a fad right now. That doesn't mean that they are worthless but the fact that they are a fad at this moment is indisputable.
Maybe it's a regional thing? I changed gyms a few months ago and walked through 5 different ones in my area, and only one even had a set of kettlebells. That's the gym I ended up joining and so far I've only seen them sitting and gathering dust; hardly anyone uses them and there are no classes for them. Are kettlebells used a lot in Crossfit? Crossfit is certainly a fad, so I guess if kettlebells are a key part of it then you could consider them a fad as well. When I think "fad," I think something like Crossfit that is popping up on every corner and that you'll hear people talking about in casual conversations in check out lines, etc. Kettlebells don't have nearly that widespread appeal.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yes, crosfitters and MMA douche bags love kettle bells.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I thought kettle bells as a fad happened several years ago? I remember it was all the rage. I think now they are just there if you want them.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
The fact is, they work. Extremely well. Because Crossfitters may have adapted them into their system should not discount them as great tool. If that were the case, you shouldn't think so highly of Squats, Deads, and Cleans.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The fact is, they work. Extremely well. Because Crossfitters may have adapted them into their system should not discount them as great tool. If that were the case, you shouldn't think so highly of Squats, Deads, and Cleans.
I only discount them if proper form is used - that quickly eliminated squats, deadlifts, and cleans. I assume it also eliminated kettle bells

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This thread is going places. Someone sound the Ossoi trumpet.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
All I had when I was getting in shape was a set of 20,30,40 lb weights, a benchpress (forget exactly how much weight for it -- more than enough for sure), a mat and a punching bag. You can do all kinds of leg workouts with that range of weights, the benchpress for chest/tri/lat and all that good stuff, weights again for bicep, mat for abs, punching bag for some cardio and upper body. Shame my house doesn't have a basement where I can put all that stuff so it sits at my parent's house. Anymore I just do p90x 3 with the above mentioned weights, pull up bar and resistance bands and go to gym twice a week to do my upper body. p90x 3 seems great for working your legs but after a few weeks it left me wanting on my upper body. So instead of the upper body videos I just replace them with gym time.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Getting in shape is simple as hell and everyone knows how to do it. Just jogging, pushups, and situps will get you in very good shape. It's doing it that's hard.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Jogging is pretty inefficient in terms of cardio / cal burn. Messes with your joints long term as well. A pretty new study was published saying people that ran 5hr+/wk had the same life expectancy as people who ran 0hr/wk (but between 0-5 there was an increase.) They admitted they didn't know why so not sure how much faith I'm putting in it. Plus jogging is boring as fuck. I'd take intervals or basically ANYTHING other than jogging as my workout. Situps are also a really inefficient workout as well. If you don't have the layer of fat on your stomach they can define your abs but if you're "getting in shape" I'd assume you have a healthy layer of fat on top of them. There are better workouts to engage the core than just situps.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Jogging is pretty inefficient in terms of cardio / cal burn. Messes with your joints long term as well. A pretty new study was published saying people that ran 5hr+/wk had the same life expectancy as people who ran 0hr/wk (but between 0-5 there was an increase.) They admitted they didn't know why so not sure how much faith I'm putting in it. Plus jogging is boring as fuck. I'd take intervals or basically ANYTHING other than jogging as my workout. Situps are also a really inefficient workout as well. If you don't have the layer of fat on your stomach they can define your abs but if you're "getting in shape" I'd assume you have a healthy layer of fat on top of them. There are better workouts to engage the core than just situps.
If you jog and do pushups and situps you will be in better shape than people who say bullshit like the above and own $10,000 worth of exercise equipment and a gym membership but don't work out.