Honorable Mention for Best Older Games Thread

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i LOVED those old n64 wrestling games. i spent so much time playing them with friends who NEVER watched wrestling and they loved it too. it was just so simple to pick and satisfying to play. it wasn't faced paced but the ones that let you create your own wrestler with his own moveset were SO much fun.

i was also thinking about Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday for the genesis. i think it was my first foray into the tactical rpg... i think all of SSI's games during that era were pretty identical but buck rogers always stuck with me.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Okay, Wizards and Warriors was far too well known and successful for this list. You deserve redicule.

Swords and Serpents on the other hand? Great RPG for the NES. I don't think too many people knew about it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Phantasy stars & shining force 1 & 2 are on steam, I think I paid 5 bucks or something for all of them.
They're also in the Genesis collection on PS3/360 if you don't want to play them on PC. Can probably pick it up for like $15.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
You Phantasy Star guys need to simmah down too, you are talking about the game that was the only reason to own a master system and the biggest RPG on the Sega. If you had those systems and liked RPGs you played Phantasy Star.

If a game has multiple sequels it's not some hidden gem you just know about.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
+1 for Blast Corps. I played the hell out of that game. I can't remember now but I think they had a medal system for all the missions right? bronze to platinum I think? I remember trying to get all the highest medals in all the missions. The A-Team van was hysterical.

Faxanadu has been the biggest "why are they not remaking this game on the newer systems" let down in every generation since the NES. Goddamn I loved that game.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I rented Faxanadu multiple times as a kid, and I didn't have a clue what I was supposed to be doing, since I didn't have an instruction manual or anything. Was still fun to just wander around, but I never made much progress in the game. Kinda like Goonies II.

Tenks

Somehow one Christmas my mom got me Faxanadu. I knew nothing about the game, never heard about it, but it was recommended to her at the game store by the clerk. Smart guy that dude was. Eventually I managed to get near the end of the game as a kid. I tried re-playing it via emulation but it didn't exactly hold up.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I had a giant manual that came with my NES I believe that had full maps on a number of games in it as well as hints on many others. Goonies II was a game with a full maps and it was quite easy if you knew what you were doing. It was years later I found out that it was considered a notoriously hard game.

Faxanadu musings from childhood:

Ok why is Death the second strongest spell and the strongest spell is called Tilt? Does the whole game take place in a pinball machine?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Jurassic Park for Super Nintendo was a fantastic game that didn't get nearly the popularity it deserved. I think it was largely overshadowed by the Sega side-scrolling version (OMG YOU CAN PLAY AS A RAPTOR!!!).

It was such a great game, though, which combined several types of gameplay (action RPG, FPS, puzzles) very successfully and cohesively. It was hard as fuck, though. I remember using graph paper to map out every inch of the island and interior buildings.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I managed to get fairly far in Faxanadu due to brute force repetition but never beat it. Goonies 2 I never beat and watching a TAS for it I see why -

Good fucking luck completing that when you're 8.

Tenks

I had a giant manual that came with my NES I believe that had full maps on a number of games in it as well as hints on many others. Goonies II was a game with a full maps and it was quite easy if you knew what you were doing. It was years later I found out that it was considered a notoriously hard game.

Faxanadu musings from childhood:

Ok why is Death the second strongest spell and the strongest spell is called Tilt? Does the whole game take place in a pinball machine?
Since apparently I have issues I always thought Deluge had the best dmg:mp ratio in the game. Turns out I was wrong. Doom spell has 3.4 dmg : 1 mp where Deluge only has 3 dmg : 1 mp. 8 year old Tenks was fucking up. Although I can't recall if Doom had the knockback effect that seemed to work really well on boss fights.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Gotta love games that rely on completely invisible doors/walls for progression with no hint whatsoever as to where they are at, or that you should even be looking for one. Damn you Goonies!

Disp_sl

shitlord
It's not Mario, but Wizards and Warriors was definitely a well known game for the Nintendo. I remember renting it 3 or 4 times and it was good shit.

Szlia

I bought my NES with Wizard & Warriors.

I bought by imported GameBoy with Cosmo Tank! Now that's an obscure gem! It's the poor man's Guardian Legend with a bit of first person tile based dungeon.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
Holy crap. Must. Play. Sequels.
One of them even had Fabio on the cover!

rrr_img_45466.jpg