Honorable Mention for Best Older Games Thread

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
i'll never, ever understand the love for that game. Throw apples at pokemon, and take pictures while rolling around on a track... zzzzz

That list however, reminded me of WCW vs NWO: World Tour .. that game was gooooodlike!
I bought it the day it came out and was completely underwhelmed. I think I "beat" the main storyline in like 4 hours. I was thinking it would be a giant open world map where I had to solve puzzles and shit to get pokemon out. Not some on-rails "shooter" where the "puzzle" is what item I just throw out where. Game sucked dick. 13 year old Tenks got scammed.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I bought it the day it came out and was completely underwhelmed. I think I "beat" the main storyline in like 4 hours. I was thinking it would be a giant open world map where I had to solve puzzles and shit to get pokemon out. Not some on-rails "shooter" where the "puzzle" is what item I just throw out where. Game sucked dick. 13 year old Tenks got scammed.
One of our fine posters had a pokemans snaps sig yelling about throwing an apple at the wrong time that cracked me up each and every time I read it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That list however, reminded me of WCW vs NWO: World Tour .. that game was gooooodlike!
Those early N64 WCW games from THQ were some of the most entertaining sports games ever made. So many drunken nights in college playing that shit in the dorm. On the first one, one of the hidden characters you have to unlock is a boxing dude named Joe Bruiser...he was hilarious, his strong punch could knock a player out cold in 1 hit. We used to have 4-man Joe Boxer fights. 4-man simultaneous boxing is just total chaos, and fun as hell. We went through many N64 controllers playing that game.

They were basically the wrestling equivalent of Super Smash Brothers. Simple for anyone to pick up and have fun with even if they had never played before, but deep enough to keep you playing for a long, long time. Probably still the best controls I've ever played in a wrestling/mma/boxing type game.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
These are 2 I spent ages playing on c64 and amiga (since I can't list Elite here) and thing they were definitely under-rated at the time

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Mafia: City of Lost Haven - GTA clone that concentrates more on the story than the world. It's exactly what you think it is, you follow a story of a young taxi driver who gets hired by some gangsters and eventually has to work for the mob to escape their enemies. I really liked the approach of less is more when it comes to enemies where the game tried to make them smarter instead of tons of HP or numbers. The game takes place over 15? years, so you see the cars evolve, with some really nice ones toward the end, but at the start, they are really bad
biggrin.png
I think anyone who played it remembers the race level, where you had to fill in for a driver who your boss bet money on and you sabotaged the favorite's car the night before, but holy fuck was that level hard. I think they eventually patched it. The game had appropriate and great soundtrack and even decent modding community.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
A lot of those early PS1 RPGs were quite good. It just seems like most people didn't pay any attention to RPGs in that era until Final Fantasy 7 came out, but that was like 2 years after the original Playstation launch, but that did bring a TON of casual fans into the RPG fold. Beyond the Beyond, Suikoden, Wild Arms, Persona, and Kings Field 1 & 2 were all a lot of fun. I also really liked Legacy of Kain, although it was more Zelda-ish than a true RPG.

Disp_sl

shitlord
I loved this game so much. I remember buying it just for the Final Fantasy 8 demo, but the game ended up being one of my favorite PS games. No idea why it wasn't more popular, but it was one of my favorite action/puzzle games I've played. Unfortunately the PS2 Musashi game sucked compared to this one.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Square made a lot of good non-RPG games back on PS1. Brave Fencer, Bushido Blade, Tobal, Front Mission, Einhander, Ehrgeiz. They haven't made near the variety of games since PS2 on. By that point the Final Fantasy franchise was so huge that by that point every release was either a FF game, some weird Chocobo-related spinoff, or one of the SaGa series games.

I fucking LOVED the first Bushido Blade, maybe my favorite fighting game of all time. Fighting game without a health bar FTW. I almost always used the sledgehammer.

Crell_sl

shitlord
Despite the crappy (well, maybe not too crappy online game. But it was highly crappy when it first got released), the Phantasy Star series was awesome. Loved how each game (except the 3'rd, supposedly takes place in the same time period as the 4'th) continued on the story and added new elements. A major planet gets destroyed, which in turn leads to a greater evil being able to come forth in a later entry in the series. Also, the sci-fi meets fantasy theme is awesome. Swords and dragons mixed with light sabers and guns.

edit: For those who don't know but still remember and love Phantasy Star, the Sega Ages Phantasy Star 1 for PS2 has been fan translated and is available at pscave.com . And Phantasy Star 2 is in the works of being translated.

Then there was Black Crypt for the Amiga. First first person dungeon crawl I ever played. Still get shivers thinking about a lvl half way through or so that had Medusa roaming around, and if she found you you basically died.

Also very fond memories of Faery Tale Adventures for Amiga. Fun little world to run around and explore, also hard.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I still regret never having played Phantasy Star 4, but that goddamned cartridge was $100 when it first came out. I think by the time it was a resonably priced I had already ditched my Genesis, years later. Hell, it took a LOT of chores and begging to get my parents to buy me Phantasy Star III, it was like $70 when it first came out(damn near $100 by the time the strategy guide + tax was figured in)

Crell_sl

shitlord
I still regret never having played Phantasy Star 4, but that goddamned cartridge was $100 when it first came out. I think by the time it was a resonably priced I had already ditched my Genesis, years later. Hell, it took a LOT of chores and begging to get my parents to buy me Phantasy Star III, it was like $70 when it first came out(damn near $100 by the time the strategy guide + tax was figured in)
I remember getting Phantasy Star 2 (used I think) and it came with a 'Hint Book', which was basically a mini strategy guide with maps and a "what to do next" guide. I would highly reccomend emulating PS4, brings the entire series to a nice resolution.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I remember getting Phantasy Star 2 (used I think) and it came with a 'Hint Book', which was basically a mini strategy guide with maps and a "what to do next" guide. I would highly reccomend emulating PS4, brings the entire series to a nice resolution.
Yeah that was the only disappointment about PS3. PS2 had that nice hint book included in it, but by the time PS3 rolled around, separate hint books were a huge business, and that one was like $15 extra. Shit takes a toll on your allowance budget when you're like 13 years old

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Phantasy stars & shining force 1 & 2 are on steam, I think I paid 5 bucks or something for all of them.