Horizon 2: Forbidden West

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I definitely want DLC. H:FW is an absolutely top shelf gaming experience.

The same dumdums who shit up every movie/tv/game thread complaining about how woke it is are so repetitive & boring now that they are getting easier to ignore. Children who fear the boogeyman see him in every cupboard and under every bed.

• 4Faggotry
  • 1Like
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 6 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Just finished it today. Loved the first one, and this is much bigger.

Yes, like literally 60% of the side quests has some woke thing attached to it, it's ridiculous, guys stressing that it's their 'partner', he needs help. Or the crossdresser being picked on lol.

But everything else is near perfect (aside from the 'ending' just suggesting Horizon 3)

The visuals and environments are top notch, you can get the underwater breathing kind of early in the game, and seeing parts of Vegas underwater was really cool, so was the builder's side story. Would still highly recommend

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Just finished it today. Loved the first one, and this is much bigger.

Yes, like literally 60% of the side quests has some woke thing attached to it, it's ridiculous, guys stressing that it's their 'partner', he needs help. Or the crossdresser being picked on lol.

But everything else is near perfect (aside from the 'ending' just suggesting Horizon 3)

The visuals and environments are top notch, you can get the underwater breathing kind of early in the game, and seeing parts of Vegas underwater was really cool, so was the builder's side story. Would still highly recommend
The Vegas questline was definitely the best of the major subplots.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
This game is a lot better than the first one, period. The main villains are so underdeveloped that caring what skin color they are is absolutely ridiculous.

There's a few problems with the game, mainly that it ends rather abruptly and anticlimactically, and some of the less interesting side quests get pretty repetitive, but there's at least 80 hours of A+ game before you get to that point.
Oh yeah-- I agree with the 80 hours. It has a lot more gameplay time-wasting options. It is a great game. But no way as great a narrative/story as the first one. And, the big bads are not as challenging (or surprising) and creatures that were a bitch to kill in HZD (frostclaws, eg) are not so hard with shittier, less intersting weaponry.

What I honestly think they missed in this one is the ability to hone you character to specific threats (fire, frost, projectiles) without needing to invest everything into skill trees. I loved how I could make myself invincible to fire, eg, in HZD then change up my wardrobe and weapons and do the same for frost, etc. Plus, plasma and the other nasties (poison, etc) are just an annoyance in HFW. I felt smarter playing HZD. I felt invested in the game. I loved getting to the point where I EARNED a fucking killer great weapon or wardrobe (like the shield armor). Never felt that level of experience with HFW. Still, a GREAT game, but nowhere as brilliant all-around as HZD.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Oh yeah-- I agree with the 80 hours. It has a lot more gameplay time-wasting options. It is a great game. But no way as great a narrative/story as the first one. And, the big bads are not as challenging (or surprising) and creatures that were a bitch to kill in HZD (frostclaws, eg) are not so hard with shittier, less intersting weaponry.

What I honestly think they missed in this one is the ability to hone you character to specific threats (fire, frost, projectiles) without needing to invest everything into skill trees. I loved how I could make myself invincible to fire, eg, in HZD then change up my wardrobe and weapons and do the same for frost, etc. Plus, plasma and the other nasties (poison, etc) are just an annoyance in HFW. I felt smarter playing HZD. I felt invested in the game. I loved getting to the point where I EARNED a fucking killer great weapon or wardrobe (like the shield armor). Never felt that level of experience with HFW. Still, a GREAT game, but nowhere as brilliant all-around as HZD.
Did you upgrade any of the weapons or armor? lol.

Itemization was incredibly poor outside of RNG rare drop and unique mods in HZD. I can't even imagine someone thinking itemization was better or more rewarding in the first game.

And that shield armor was useless by the time you got it in the first game on the two hardest difficulties.

The one thing I'd agree where itemization sucks is that I do not like the fact that you only get 2 mod slots in the legendary armors fully upgraded in this game. That part sucked and hopefully they will fix that in NG+.

I also don't like that the hardest arena challenges don't even let you use your gear, so there's no real use for all your fully upgraded shit when you do reach the endgame. You certainly don't need it for the final bosses because they're a joke. The game seriously lacks "shit to do with all your fully upgraded gear" once you get it. Hopefully DLC fixes that but the DLC will probably just have all new items to upgrade which you then won't need by the time you get to the end of the DLC...

This game is at its absolute hardest when you first leave The Daunt after the embassy and maybe the first time you run into a Tremortusk and some of the harder enemies, and then just gets trivial even on the hardest difficulty the closer you get to the endgame.

Last edited:

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Did you upgrade any of the weapons or armor? lol.

Itemization was incredibly poor outside of RNG rare drop and unique mods in HZD. I can't even imagine someone thinking itemization was better or more rewarding in the first game.

And that shield armor was useless by the time you got it in the first game on the two hardest difficulties.
Yes, of course. Early in the game upgraded my bows to the max, but didn't find a huge functional difference between hunter bows and sharpshooter bows (other than the sharpshooter bows became my mainstream). Yes, more configuration potentials, but where was the one great weapon that matched my/your playstyle? Spears (at least for me) came into gameplay a little later. Traps, slings, tripcasters, I never found much of a use for them. Again, the big bads just weren't that bad. I had a much tougher time with the first game at certain points. I remember when I had to fend off the "murderous Glynthawwks" when I had to meet that boss challenge woefully underpowered and under-prepared. I configured traps and developed a strategy that worked but it was an intellectual and hand-eye coordination challenge to pull it off. And it was an adrenaline rush to succeed. Nothing comparable boss-wise.

It's not a slam. I LOVE the game still. But it did lack the superlative thrills and mental/physical challenges.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
My favorite part was triggering my own traps and tripwires. I used that stuff quite a bit in the first game, barely bothered in this one. Fucking stupid, retarded, pointless change.

• 1WTF

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I was pretty pissed how badly the ruined the rope caster for this game... Never used it in this version just cause of how badly they destroyed it.

While the whole canister effects was a cool idea... I can apply them faster then the rope caster..

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
didn't find a huge functional difference between hunter bows and sharpshooter bows ...Traps, slings, tripcasters, I never found much of a use for them.
Well for me, slings and sharpshooter bows were 2 of my 3 main used weapon types (along with hunter bow).
Sharpshooter was for initiating combat, usually either by stripping parts using sharpshot tear arrows, or just going for straight damage with advanced sharpshot arrows which would 1 shot most smaller machines if you hit them in a weakpoint - easy to do when they're not aggro yet. Also 1 shot almost all humanoid enemies with a headshot.

Slings - used for bulk status like freezing, stunning or setting fire to groups of machines. Or if I didn't want to fuck around and just wanted to kill giant machines asap, spam advanced explosive bombs.

Traps are extremely strong if you build for them, but it uses a lot of materials. Use the legendary armour that makes you immune to damage from your own traps and you can just use them in melee range to pretty much instakill anything in the game.

Ropecaster, definitely agree I used it a lot more in HZD. It was still effective in HFW but I never felt it was worth a weapon slot.
I played with shredder gauntlet and boltblaster for a while but the shredder gauntlet always felt weak, and boltblaster while amazing for putting a large amount of damage in a short time was ruined by the annoying reload time.

My typical wheel throughout the game was something like 1 sharpshot, 1 warrior, 2 hunter, 1 sling, 1 spikethrower.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Shredder's are great for large/slow moving enemies(For me anyway), sense they carve thru the enemy while flying, tried using them against the Slitherfang it does work great if you can make him sit fucking still.. lol

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The endgame Spikethrowers get pretty ridiculous. One of the purple ones really fucked shit up with the whole split attack thing.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I bought this and are you stuck with that Varl guy the entire game? What a fucking annoying POS. He never shuts the fuck up. I wish I could refund the game.

• 1Seriously?

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Since you haven't even finished the tutorial and you're already complaining about the game it's probably best you do refund it.
To answer your question he is with you for about 1% of the game. Since you hate Varl so much you might actually be pretty happy with how the game progresses.

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Since you haven't even finished the tutorial and you're already complaining about the game it's probably best you do refund it.
To answer your question he is with you for about 1% of the game. Since you hate Varl so much you might actually be pretty happy with how the game progresses.

He should take a stab at the game, maybe even run through it!

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Any info about the 'new weapons' added?
Yeah I think there's like 8 new legendary weapons you can buy with tokens you get from doing side quests on the NG+ playthrough, something like that anyway.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They improved both the appearance and performance of Performance Mode on PS5 by a shitload, which is crazy because it was already pretty good.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
They improved both the appearance and performance of Performance Mode on PS5 by a shitload, which is crazy because it was already pretty good.

Hmm... I still have been meaning to hop back in and Platinum. Did these improvements hit in a certain patch?