Horizon 2: Forbidden West

spronk

FPS noob
ultimately disappointing game. I loved the story from the first one and while its been a few years I don't remember it being filled with tons of filler quests. The sequel was 60% garbage quests that felt like a Ubisoft game or shitty 2010 MMO.

Also apparently every female 1000 years in the future is a lesbian. Its not in your face retarded like CW shows nowadays but goddamn like 4 of the 6-7 main females you run into casually mention their wife or chick they are into, I guess its because of global warming lol? You also get the requisite 2022 quest where some faggot mentions how he is a faggot and one retard says he likes to wear womens clothing, its all so hilariously bad.

Game has two MASSIVE disappointments, the golden pyramid quest (no spoilers) feels like it is missing 50% of the content and really fails to engage and the reveal of the big bad for a sequel in the last 5 minutes of the game is goofy as fuck. It would be a 6.5/10 game without those two things, but with those massive flaws its a 5/10 game. Combat is really good though and very engaging, although the skill trees are all fucking useless and maybe all the weapon types are a bit too much. It also sucks that melee feels fucking useless in the game, its 100x easier to only use your bow for everything.

Play the first game, its still great (and on PC now), don't bother with the second game imo. It is a mechanics great game though so if you only care about combat/mechanics and not story its great.

• 4Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 4 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
ultimately disappointing game. I loved the story from the first one and while its been a few years I don't remember it being filled with tons of filler quests. The sequel was 60% garbage quests that felt like a Ubisoft game or shitty 2010 MMO.

Also apparently every female 1000 years in the future is a lesbian. Its not in your face retarded like CW shows nowadays but goddamn like 4 of the 6-7 main females you run into casually mention their wife or chick they are into, I guess its because of global warming lol? You also get the requisite 2022 quest where some faggot mentions how he is a faggot and one retard says he likes to wear womens clothing, its all so hilariously bad.

Game has two MASSIVE disappointments, the golden pyramid quest (no spoilers) feels like it is missing 50% of the content and really fails to engage and the reveal of the big bad for a sequel in the last 5 minutes of the game is goofy as fuck. It would be a 6.5/10 game without those two things, but with those massive flaws its a 5/10 game. Combat is really good though and very engaging, although the skill trees are all fucking useless and maybe all the weapon types are a bit too much. It also sucks that melee feels fucking useless in the game, its 100x easier to only use your bow for everything.

Play the first game, its still great (and on PC now), don't bother with the second game imo.

Yeah, agreed on basically everything. It was a huge disappointment coming from how much I enjoyed the first one. The main story was ok, but not as exciting as the original's surprises. The side quests were just garbage though, and there were way too many in relation to main quests. They either needed more main quest, or less side quest; balance was all off.

While the combat *looked* better than the first one at first glance (bigger skill trees! more engaging melee! more neat weapons!), in practice it fell flat and really wasn't any better than the first. It was still decent, but a TON of wasted potential. Half the weapons were useless garbage, melee was still gay, and the giant skill tree hardly had any effect on you beyond the first ~10 points spent.

5/10 is about right.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Play the first game, its still great (and on PC now), don't bother with the second game imo.
People have been saying shit like that about the sequel for over a year now. There was a leak from a dev on reddit forever ago that people thought was fake and the leak got flamed a bunch cause.. well, its reddit and you cant say anything similar to what you said there. The leak basically said everything you said and that focus was being put on inclusivity instead of the game. Then the face thing came out and.. well, here we are. The games out and all the shit that was said is true.

I hate seeing franchises go down this route cause we sure as fuck arent getting a continuation of the story now.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yeah this was not a very good game. I slogged through it at the end just to be done with it.

I will say, technically the game is amazing. Terrific, colorful world with beautiful colors and environments. The facial animations were maybe the best I've ever seen and think GG deserves a ton of credit on those fronts.

The game itself though is so paint by numbers and bland. Actually, rather boring and not a lot of fun playing. So much filler, agreed it felt like a Ubisoft game and that is about the biggest put down in gaming in 2022. Looks like GoW is going to arrive on schedule this fall, hoping it expands what the first one did well and takes the series to the next level - will be pretty disappointed to see it go the way of this game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I hate seeing franchises go down this route cause we sure as fuck arent getting a continuation of the story now.
What makes you think there's not going to be a continuation? GG have already said there is going to be a 3rd Horizon game continuing the story which already seemed pretty obvious given how HFW ended.

Daidraco

What makes you think there's not going to be a continuation? GG have already said there is going to be a 3rd Horizon game continuing the story which already seemed pretty obvious given how HFW ended.
Was a hyperbole. I dont think the third will sell as well as the second one if it does come to fruition. Im fine if Im proven wrong, but I just dont think the game was that good. Thats regardless of it shoe horning obvious shit into the narrative.

Any person that was a lore nerd in the first one could have went a thousand different directions in this sequel. Side Quests should have been massively more entertaining with the material that the first one dropped. Was just overall disappointing, and again, that has nothing to do with having someone's sexual orientation told to me every other minute.

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I'm sure a 3rd one will do just fine. Last I saw H:FW was still at or near the top of the sales charts for PS5. It definitely hurt it both in sales and in perception being in the dark under Elden Ring's massive shadow but still, in my view HFW is a very good game that iterated well on the original. I don't particularly like what they've set up for the 3rd game in terms of major villains and it's going to be interesting to see how they handle it. Before then though I'm still expecting DLC for HFW.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
The only thing I didn't like about the game was the final mission, which was too short, too easy, anti-climactic, had none of the key gameplay elements of the rest of the game, introduced a major plot point for the next game as basically a throwaway, and overall just felt rushed and not well-integrated into the rest of the game. They could have cut 20 stupid sidequests that nobody would have ever missed and made a much more interesting conclusion.

The final mission of a game should never be shorter, easier, and less interesting than your tutorial level. Seriously, what the actual fuck.

I knew from the start that the storyline just wasn't going to be as compelling as the first one, because the first one has a lot of mysteries to unlock. But I felt the gameplay was much better in this one, with better combat, much better itemization, etc. I wonder how many people who didn't like the second game didn't play it on the hardest difficulties? I feel like playing on Very Hard and then Ultra hard really made you have to put in the effort to upgrade the weapons, armors, etc.

Anyway, I had to update my game, update my PS5, and update my TV, but I was able to get the VRR mode working with the new patch. Looks pretty good, 90+ FPS in some spots, 80+ on the regular on performance mode, with VRR, really starting to rival PC graphics, with faster load times. PS5 is a heck of a system.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
She was raised in the woods by a single father in a post-apocalypse, spent literally one night in some place that only barely resembles civilization, before running through a hunt-to-the-death trial, then having her surrogate father member murdered and being sent on a quest to avenge said father and also save what's left of humanity.

Please explain where and when she had time to get made up like she was auditioning for a fake reporter spot on OAN.

Oh so she has time to become a super duper fighter, assassin, archer, robot hijacker, tracker but can't find the time not to be ugly?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
I heard the game devs tried to push her into a lesbian relationship in the sequel.

Is this true? Not sure if I should play the sequel if they just make her a tranny in the 3rd one with a robot dick

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I heard the game devs tried to push her into a lesbian relationship in the sequel.

Is this true? Not sure if I should play the sequel if they just make her a tranny in the 3rd one with a robot dick

It's always been thought she was but never fully explored there was small hints in the first one, and a couple small hints in the 2nd one but nothing like Last of Us 2 level shit.

Blueweed

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just watched Prey. I mean if they want to push Amber Midthunder for a lesbo scene for sequels... It's fine I guess...

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

Dude I enjoyed the first one and even I thought the sequel was pretty trashy. There’s no way you would enjoy it.

spronk

FPS noob

in the beginning of this game some king guy asks if he should wait for you and you can basically respond fuck yeah i'll be back or nah, peace out you should forget about me. Thats about it as far as love interest, there is a retarded tranny in a minor side quest and like half the chicks in the game are lesbians (and a bunch of married normies too) but for the most part Aloy is asexual or maybe she likes dino dick, i dunno but its never explored. which I prefer, i'd rather have no romance shit in games nowadays than the absolute retarded faggotry of stuff like Boyfriend Dungeon.

either way game is extremely mediocre, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone really other than for the combat mechanics which are great or exploring the world which is really fun. The story is just dog shit though. If HZD (first game) was a 8/10 this game is a 6/10, and i suspect for a lot of people the first game is a 5/10 at best which would make this game a 3/10.

• 1Solidarity

Daidraco

which I prefer, i'd rather have no romance shit in games nowadays than the absolute retarded faggotry of stuff like Boyfriend Dungeon.
Im pretty much at the point that I'd rather just not have any romance in games, too. The very thought of some shit just grosses me the fuck out and makes me want to stop playing (Im looking at you Mass Effect). So in an effort to be fair, I'd rather it just not be talked about at all.

Shit like sexuality being highly represented in a post apocalyptic world and a woman journeying across the world by herself are far from believable, but the game has robot dinosaurs - so realism was never the goal to begin with.

I liked Horizon 1, but thought 2 was mediocre at best. If reddit or Kotaku had their way though, Horizon 2 is the best thing since sliced bread.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
HFW had really good graphics, combat, itemization, and the story structure of the midgame is really good. But the actual overarching plot ended up quite dumb, the ending was anticlimactic as fuck.

If you own a PS5, a high end TV and like shooting robot dinos with various weapons, it's definitely good, just ignore most of the pointless quests. If you're a poor and have a PS4 then not so much.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Im pretty much at the point that I'd rather just not have any romance in games, too. The very thought of some shit just grosses me the fuck out and makes me want to stop playing (Im looking at you Mass Effect). So in an effort to be fair, I'd rather it just not be talked about at all.

Shit like sexuality being highly represented in a post apocalyptic world and a woman journeying across the world by herself are far from believable, but the game has robot dinosaurs - so realism was never the goal to begin with.

I liked Horizon 1, but thought 2 was mediocre at best. If reddit or Kotaku had their way though, Horizon 2 is the best thing since sliced bread.

I blame BioWare for the injection of romance into so many games. Fuck them forever, I absolutely hate that shit in 95% of games; it has no place.

Brad2770

I blame BioWare for the injection of romance into so many games. Fuck them forever, I absolutely hate that shit in 95% of games; it has no place.

B8144FC4-65F6-447B-9395-9E3499852958.jpeg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 2 users