Horizon 2: Forbidden West

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Wow you weren't kidding:

You know it's good when you can tell the difference in a Youtube vid.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah just started the game today on PS5, have owned it a while but zero motivation to start a new game after Elden Ring.

Runs great, I played the PS4 version a bit before switching to PS5 and the differences in load times are staggering but visually it looked fine (PS4). Still, it was like 20 seconds to go from main menu to playing on PS4 version vs less than 3 seconds with PS5. I know the patch allegedly added some ways to do 40 FPS VRR mode but I've got it on Quality mode at the moment and its giving me super stable 60 fps, may play around a bit more later to see if I can tweak VRR mode a bit (probably no VRR with quality mode). Looks gorgeous and easy so far but I'm barely in the game.

If you are interested in buying the game, wait a bit. The recent PS5 bundles all include a digital code insert and the PS5 bundle sells for $50 more than regular ($550 for disc, $450 for digital) but all the buying groups that send systems overseas are only paying $10 over the non bundle price. So we should see thousands of codes being dumped on cdkeys, etc soon and I'd imagine you'll see the game codes sell for $20-25.

If you are on a discord with resellers you can probably snag a digital code pretty cheap

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Season 2 Shut Up GIF by Paramount+

What they ended up with.....

spronk

FPS noob
Its really hard being motivated to play this game after the perfection of Elden Ring. I have explorer mode on (HUD is mostly off, no quest markers and stuff) but still its like every open world I've played for the past 20 years, hoover up quests and then go do stupid shit for stupid people, rinse and repeat a million times. Visuals are gorgeous and that keeps me going, story is decent enough so far. Exploring "old world" ruins is really fun though, as is fighting dino robots.

One weird thing is how almost every character is Samoan-fat. Like they aren't really fat, but they have trunks for legs and big guts, its pretty weird. Some have fat faces but many don't. Aloy has looked fine for me so far, a few cut scenes where her face is off but usually she looks great. Its certainly a stylized design choice and I don't hate it but its weird.

Still, hard to really recommend. I'd honestly just rather replay Elden Ring, but I'll play a few hours a week and finish over a few slow months. I do like the basic story and Lt Broyles/Daniels as your antagonist is really cool.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
The variety of cultures/body types grow (lots of brown) as you play - unfortunately the variety of quests/missions, not so much.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Every tribe has the exact same body type, the Oseram are all fat from drinking all the time, the Utaru are all skinny because their plants are dying, etc.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Its really hard being motivated to play this game after the perfection of Elden Ring. I have explorer mode on (HUD is mostly off, no quest markers and stuff) but still its like every open world I've played for the past 20 years, hoover up quests and then go do stupid shit for stupid people, rinse and repeat a million times. Visuals are gorgeous and that keeps me going, story is decent enough so far. Exploring "old world" ruins is really fun though, as is fighting dino robots.

One weird thing is how almost every character is Samoan-fat. Like they aren't really fat, but they have trunks for legs and big guts, its pretty weird. Some have fat faces but many don't. Aloy has looked fine for me so far, a few cut scenes where her face is off but usually she looks great. Its certainly a stylized design choice and I don't hate it but its weird.

Still, hard to really recommend. I'd honestly just rather replay Elden Ring, but I'll play a few hours a week and finish over a few slow months. I do like the basic story and Lt Broyles/Daniels as your antagonist is really cool.
Feel same way. I’m about 25 hours in maybe and have shelved for awhile. Paint by numbers. Story seems like it could be going somewhere cool at least

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Funny I'm the opposite. I played HFW first and to me it's the best of it's genre so far.
Now I'm working through Elden Ring and I'm strongly feeling the urge to go back and replay HFW since NG+ is out now.
Don't get me wrong, Elden Ring is an excellent game and I have definitely enjoyed it so far but the sheen is slowly wearing off. Just exploring and going into ruins/caves was a lot of fun early on. After my 100th cave it's getting a bit uninteresting though since there are only maybe 3 or 4 varieties of cave/ruin types and they are reusing monster and bosses. Not that HFW is any better in this regard as it doesn't even really have too many underground areas to explore. The main differences for me I think is I prefer the combat in H:FW, and H:FW looks better too.
We're really spoiled this year, having two such amazing games come out at the same time though.

• 2WTF
  • 1Faggotry
  • 1Worf

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Funny I'm the opposite. I played HFW first and to me it's the best of it's genre so far.
Now I'm working through Elden Ring and I'm strongly feeling the urge to go back and replay HFW since NG+ is out now.
Don't get me wrong, Elden Ring is an excellent game and I have definitely enjoyed it so far but the sheen is slowly wearing off. Just exploring and going into ruins/caves was a lot of fun early on. After my 100th cave it's getting a bit uninteresting though since there are only maybe 3 or 4 varieties of cave/ruin types and they are reusing monster and bosses. Not that HFW is any better in this regard as it doesn't even really have too many underground areas to explore. The main differences for me I think is I prefer the combat in H:FW, and H:FW looks better too.
We're really spoiled this year, having two such amazing games come out at the same time though.

Basically it comes down to the world itself and how you go about exploring it. Elden Ring showed you can weave that in without the typical POI Map spawn garbage we are all used to. It is REALLY tough now, if not impossible, to go back to paint by numbers maps after the magic of exploration within Elden Ring. The native exploration and using in game representation for POI's rather than the map needs to be the new norm. The concept of that and the delivery of such a world is trumping story and maybe even gameplay itself for most people.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Elden Ring's game design is great, it's just too depressing of a world for me to want to spend any significant amount of time in.

I work in telecom, I suffer enough.

• 4Worf

spronk

FPS noob
new patch out today, adding VRR is nice gonna turn that on and see if I notice at all

I'm about 70 hours into the game on PS5, almost done I think got like 85% of the trophies and near the end of the story. Not super impressed with the game, its not bad or anything but 100% reminds me of Ghost of Tsushima or any recent Ubisoft game. I don't know why these games nowadays introduce a big villain in the first hour, then they completely fuck off for 50+ hours and only come back near the end. Yeah, yeah optional side quests I know but I've skipped about 50% off the quests I've been given because I knew going in you get a flying mount near the end which makes things easier (spoiler: it really doesn't, fucking thing controls like a Ford Pinto).

Just mediocre all around from writing, VA, characters, dialogue, etc. Visuals are beautiful though but the thrill of hunting cool robot dinos in a primal environment was the big thing of the first game, which I really did love, and is just "more of the same shit" here.

Oh well, not the worst way to waste some time but yeah the game got crushed by Elden Ring and deservedly so, that game is something I want to replay and will remember a long time while this game is something I will entirely forget in 30 days.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
new patch out today, adding VRR is nice gonna turn that on and see if I notice at all

I'm about 70 hours into the game on PS5, almost done I think got like 85% of the trophies and near the end of the story. Not super impressed with the game, its not bad or anything but 100% reminds me of Ghost of Tsushima or any recent Ubisoft game. I don't know why these games nowadays introduce a big villain in the first hour, then they completely fuck off for 50+ hours and only come back near the end. Yeah, yeah optional side quests I know but I've skipped about 50% off the quests I've been given because I knew going in you get a flying mount near the end which makes things easier (spoiler: it really doesn't, fucking thing controls like a Ford Pinto).

Just mediocre all around from writing, VA, characters, dialogue, etc. Visuals are beautiful though but the thrill of hunting cool robot dinos in a primal environment was the big thing of the first game, which I really did love, and is just "more of the same shit" here.

Oh well, not the worst way to waste some time but yeah the game got crushed by Elden Ring and deservedly so, that game is something I want to replay and will remember a long time while this game is something I will entirely forget in 30 days.

Lol yeah, the control of those sunwings was utter garbage, an exercise in frustration.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Picked this up finally, for $35 used at GameFly for a PS5 copy. Just an FYI if anyone is looking at a cheaper deal.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user