Horizon 2: Forbidden West

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, don’t really agree with review bombing. I like this gem of a review for “Last of Us 2”:

7B6F9979-0ACA-41C1-96ED-D9DB28C4E86B.jpeg

• 9Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 9 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The expansion was decent. The new weapon(s) were nice riffs on existing themes and there were some nice new puzzle areas to solve. Sam Witwer gnawed on the scenery in a pleasing way and it managed to give us a slightly different perspective on the whole era leading up to the Faro Plague. By featuring the Quen prominently it gives some more backstory on their particularly fucked-up social structure in a way that sets them up to be a real pain in Horizon 3 as everyone is trying to save the planet.

Wasn't earth-shattering or incredibly novel, but I enjoy running around blasting robo-animals for robo-parts and the whole final mission was well formulated. 8/10 for me.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
The expansion was decent. The new weapon(s) were nice riffs on existing themes and there were some nice new puzzle areas to solve. Sam Witwer gnawed on the scenery in a pleasing way and it managed to give us a slightly different perspective on the whole era leading up to the Faro Plague. By featuring the Quen prominently it gives some more backstory on their particularly fucked-up social structure in a way that sets them up to be a real pain in Horizon 3 as everyone is trying to save the planet.

Wasn't earth-shattering or incredibly novel, but I enjoy running around blasting robo-animals for robo-parts and the whole final mission was well formulated. 8/10 for me.
Video Game Agree GIF by Guerrilla

How was the gay though, good enough for Mist Mist ?

• 3Worf
  • 1Ding!
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
and the whole final mission was well formulated.
That would be a huge departure from the final mission we got in the base game. I'm not surprised though, the big missions at the end of the Frozen Wilds DLC were much better than the final arc of the main game as well.

This company needs to prune the shitty side quests and devote more effort to the finales.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I went from 'gonna replay 1st then 2nd game thru as new game +, to just the 2nd one as new game +, to loading a save in 2 and starting the DLC. I don't know if I'm just not in the mood for this game or what but I was forcing myself to play. DLC seems ok so far but I noped the fuck out of the 1st alternate water mission. I forgot we cannot fight underwater.

Rude

Potato del Grande
I went from 'gonna replay 1st then 2nd game thru as new game +, to just the 2nd one as new game +, to loading a save in 2 and starting the DLC. I don't know if I'm just not in the mood for this game or what but I was forcing myself to play. DLC seems ok so far but I noped the fuck out of the 1st alternate water mission. I forgot we cannot fight underwater.
Because Elden Ring made Horizon a non entity. The SJW faggotry may not have helped, either.

Shattering From Software GIF by BANDAI NAMCO

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff

You do get a really nice weapon from that whole side-quest sequence though. I do want to go back and do a New Game+ at some point and use all the weapons I never touched, like the disk thrower.

The new mechanic of the elemental temporary enchantments for melee in Burning Shores was something that seemed cool but was ultimately not terribly useful. The duration on the enchantments is so short and combined with fighting a LOT of enemies that push and knockback was just frustrating. The novelty of the new Zenith weapon more than made up for this however. My go-to attack was still to use whatever element they were vulnerable to as delivered by one of my two equipped slingshots or the elemental boltcaster.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Did they fix Aloy's full Mass Effect Andromeda Tango and Cash face or can you still not break *that* that jaw? I mean, now it fits the <insulting lesbian crack about her stronk jaw line> but I figured they were too busy getting Woke and doing the going Broke prep. I thought they had been now it seems like its back.

Elden Ring keeps racking up the wins.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Did they fix Aloy's full Mass Effect Andromeda Tango and Cash face or can you still not break *that* that jaw? I mean, now it fits the <insulting lesbian crack about her stronk jaw line> but I figured they were too busy getting Woke and doing the going Broke prep. I thought they had been now it seems like its back.

Elden Ring keeps racking up the wins.
When it finally releases for the PC - Im sure people will mod her into her Horizon 1 self at the very minimum. Why these companies wont just leave shit alone and let shit like the characters sexuality just be a mystery (So the player, w/e gender/pronoun/sexuality they are, can just assume what they want...?) She came off as a Tom Boy type of girl to me in Horizon 1. That doesnt automatically mean that she bumps carpet. In fact, they were the freakiest bitches I knew in hell.. middle, high and college.

Game still sold well, so we'll probably see a continuation of the series regardless of the SJW shit since it was found out after the release. We'll see if it has any effect on the sales of the third - but even without the SJW, the lore and design of the game has departed away from what made Horizon 1 really enjoyable .. at least to me. So I doubt Ill pick up the third one regardless.

They can say they didnt get a fair shake at more sales because of Elden Ring - but thats a little disingenuous. If Horizon 2 was better, they would have sold more copies. Thats as simple as it gets.

• 2Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It sold $30M in the UK alone for 2022 (the UK tracks such stuff publicly for tax purposes) and Sony has claimed 10M copies have been sold (~2M bundled with PS5). Elden ring sold twice as many, but that was across multiple platforms including PC. Combine the initial sales with whatever they get for Burning Shores and it's clearly making bank.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
When it finally releases for the PC - Im sure people will mod her into her Horizon 1 self at the very minimum. Why these companies wont just leave shit alone and let shit like the characters sexuality just be a mystery (So the player, w/e gender/pronoun/sexuality they are, can just assume what they want...?) She came off as a Tom Boy type of girl to me in Horizon 1. That doesnt automatically mean that she bumps carpet. In fact, they were the freakiest bitches I knew in hell.. middle, high and college.

Game still sold well, so we'll probably see a continuation of the series regardless of the SJW shit since it was found out after the release. We'll see if it has any effect on the sales of the third - but even without the SJW, the lore and design of the game has departed away from what made Horizon 1 really enjoyable .. at least to me. So I doubt Ill pick up the third one regardless.

They can say they didnt get a fair shake at more sales because of Elden Ring - but thats a little disingenuous. If Horizon 2 was better, they would have sold more copies. Thats as simple as it gets.

The story/lore of the 2nd one was for sure a big reason why I was much less impressed with it compared to the first, and why I was going to be very unlikely to follow the series beyond it. The woke shit just makes that decision a ton easier.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I haven't played the 2nd yet, but you could tell pretty on, with all the lame shit their studio was saying, that it was going to decline in quality. Just a legitimate lack of awareness, and you realize that they probably lucked into such a great first game. Of course, they proved a lot of people right, and the narrative declined in quality.

I'll still play it eventually, but no desire currently, which is a shame.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
The second game is better than the first in basically every technical and game play metric.
World building, story, not as good. Hard to beat the first on World building though.

HFW is an excellent game. I actually liked it more than Elden Ring but I know I'm in the clear minority there.

I still haven't played through Burning Shores yet. I desperately want to but I'm sticking with the current POE season to finish my char before the economy dies.

• 1NPC
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I haven't played the 2nd yet, but you could tell pretty on, with all the lame shit their studio was saying, that it was going to decline in quality. Just a legitimate lack of awareness, and you realize that they probably lucked into such a great first game. Of course, they proved a lot of people right, and the narrative declined in quality.

I'll still play it eventually, but no desire currently, which is a shame.
It's mostly just typical middle-trilogy problems. I think people are mostly overstating the problems with the story. But it's also really obvious that they blew their load with the story in the first one and had nowhere to go after that.

The first one had a pretty unique story arc that's hard to replicate. From the first 30 minutes into the game, you, the player, know that humans fucked up real bad and that's how we got to where we are at the start. But then the game takes you on a very long arc around exactly how the humans fucked up, and also what a handful of them decided to do about it, and it's more novel than you expect.

The second game just doesn't have any interesting hook like that. You learn more about the world, and you see some little stories, and you fight some disposable villains. Not saving Ted Faro for the last game was a huge mistake; I thought for sure the last game would be fighting immortal Ted Faro in a Pyramid in the middle of the Vegas strip, in a sorta Blade Runner 2049 meets Zelda meets The Stand showdown.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
That damn middle trilogy problem. It's why Empire Strikes Back was hot garbage and the Matrix Revolutions was so good.

Don't even get me started on how disappointing Aliens, T2, and The Godfather 2 were

• 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That damn middle trilogy problem. It's why Empire Strikes Back was hot garbage and the Matrix Revolutions was so good.

Don't even get me started on how disappointing Aliens, T2, and The Godfather 2 were
Alien is way better than Aliens.
Empire Strikes Back is so good because the heroes lose at the end, something almost nobody in storytelling has the balls to do.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Alien is way better than Aliens.
Empire Strikes Back is so good because the heroes lose at the end, something almost nobody in storytelling has the balls to do.
Way better? No fucking way. They’re both classics. I prefer Aliens and I can damn near recite every line.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Aliens is definitely superior

Regardless, like I was talking any in another thread, part 2s have it just easier than part 3s since the 2s get to do whatever the hell they want and don't have to resolve shit. Outside of things like Indiana Jones that are more or less independent and you get things like #3 being the best

• 2Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
You do get a really nice weapon from that whole side-quest sequence though. I do want to go back and do a New Game+ at some point and use all the weapons I never touched, like the disk thrower.

The new mechanic of the elemental temporary enchantments for melee in Burning Shores was something that seemed cool but was ultimately not terribly useful. The duration on the enchantments is so short and combined with fighting a LOT of enemies that push and knockback was just frustrating. The novelty of the new Zenith weapon more than made up for this however. My go-to attack was still to use whatever element they were vulnerable to as delivered by one of my two equipped slingshots or the elemental boltcaster.
I played out the main story of the DLC and didn't feel the desire to do any of the side quests. The arm cannon was a fun weapon but it wasn't upgradable. It was ok for DLC. 6/10

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I played out the main story of the DLC and didn't feel the desire to do any of the side quests. The arm cannon was a fun weapon but it wasn't upgradable. It was ok for DLC. 6/10

You actually do upgrade the arm cannon in the side quests