Horizon: Zero Dawn

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I'm still on my first playthrough. Is the shield armor that quest armor that is super strong?

Adept weapons and armor I've found, only bonus is the 4th slot(slight increase in dmg reduction vs the elements there designed for) but other then that *meh*, git gud is the answer I guess, wish they would fix the stealth mods but ahwell gives me something to do till Frozen Wilds..

What is wrong with the stealth mods? I've been using 2 of them...

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
When the game first released, stealth mods had a higher +% then they currently do some odd reason they tuned them down *shrug*

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's getting close to why not pricing...

I don't really use my PS4 anymore but this seems like a fun story.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
It's worth it at that price. Finally finished it and ended up really enjoying the way they teased out the story. Game play mechanics are solid and the graphics are incredible. Ordered the DLC and will give Ultra Hard New Game+ a try after I finish the last of the trials.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Finally beat this last night, what a fucking game! Fuck those stormbirds!

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
Finally beat this last night, what a fucking game! Fuck those stormbirds!

Full stack of explosive trip wires + tall grass + lure = one shot kill. I started calling it "playing the batman card".

I enjoyed killing them in a fair fight more though, but any time I wasnt in the mood for a ten minute fight, I would go full prep-mode batman and setup an explosive trip wire kill zone.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Just picked this game up last week. Made the mistake of going ultra-hard mode first playthrough.

Holy fuck is this game unforgiving on ultra-hard.

There's so much side shit to do and I can't bypass much on ultra-hard so I'm level 23 and my main quest line is level 13 or some shit. I'm in the second cauldron I've found which the game is telling me is level 11 but the last 2 enemies in the place are level 20+ and a fucking nightmare to deal with because I didn't bring enough trap + tripcaster ammo with me. Fuckin' hell man.

Levels don't seem to give you much advantage in this game, same with talents up to a point. Seems like every real advantage comes from gear. Getting one shot because you didn't pan your camera fast enough and rolled into an obstacle is super fun...

Hekotat

I can't even imagine fighting the storm birds or those mole fuckers on the hardest setting. I avoided all mole areas on the map, dickheads throw rocks from like 2 miles away too.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I can't imagine playing the game on any other setting. Stormbirds weren't bad, you just rope them down and hammer them with slingshot grenades. The burrowing ones you just need to wreck their claws so they can't dig anymore and it's game over.

The key to everything is getting the best ropecaster from beating all the trials. And purple mods.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
May hop back into this, this weekend. Such a great game, one more month until the DLC!

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I can't imagine playing the game on any other setting. Stormbirds weren't bad, you just rope them down and hammer them with slingshot grenades. The burrowing ones you just need to wreck their claws so they can't dig anymore and it's game over.

The key to everything is getting the best ropecaster from beating all the trials. And purple mods.
Yeah, even on Ultra Hard the combat got trivial and grindy much earlier than I expected. I probably would’ve gotten too bored to beat it if I had set it on a lower difficulty.

One of my buddies posted a clip of him taking down a Thunderjaw and bemoaning how boring and easy it was... on the easiest difficulty. o_O

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Combat does seem grindy but def doesn't seem trivial to me yet but I don't know how far into the game I am. I just met my first Glinthawk and don't even have a sling weapon yet.

I didn't realize until yesterday the game is more about using the right weapons/traps/pre-combat setup than it is about what talents you've chosen. When I first started playing I figured I'd just do a stealth build and that's how I would play the entire game but that is definitely not possible. Because of that I didn't explore the different weapon types until level 20+ and don't have enough materials atm to buy a good sling (and only just got a war bow + ropecaster).

I'm playing this one completely blind though. Haven't watched a single review or gameplay video or read anything about it.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Combat does seem grindy but def doesn't seem trivial to me yet but I don't know how far into the game I am. I just met my first Glinthawk and don't even have a sling weapon yet.

I didn't realize until yesterday the game is more about using the right weapons/traps/pre-combat setup than it is about what talents you've chosen. When I first started playing I figured I'd just do a stealth build and that's how I would play the entire game but that is definitely not possible. Because of that I didn't explore the different weapon types until level 20+ and don't have enough materials atm to buy a good sling (and only just got a war bow + ropecaster).

I'm playing this one completely blind though. Haven't watched a single review or gameplay video or read anything about it.

The hunter trials serve as reasonably subtle tutorials for weapon use and strengths. The beastiary also has some on-the-nose advice.

Stealth is definitely viable (I also played with a stealth emphasis) but there are many encounters where stealth isn’t an option. Best to familiarize yourself with the more direct weapons like the rattler and ropecaster for CC.

Also, I never did figure out how best to handle the mole machines. My first encounter with them was a pair of high level corrupted moles. They damn near one shot, and I only beat them after I got lucky and managed to split them up.

Hekotat

I never could get the tie-down thing to work. I tried to use several times near the end, instead I put out about 8k traps and bombs before a big fight.

I sucked ass aiming with a controller so those moles really fucked my shit up. After I fought that one in the quarry I avoided them at all costs.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You were probably firing it too fast. You have to wait until she slams the spike into the ground before firing another one.