Horizon: Zero Dawn

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Also, bigger creatures take more ropes.

Ropecaster is life tho.

I never could get it to stick to the dino, it would just retract like it missed. I got tired of fucking with it and went back to dodge rolling.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, that's what happens when you fire it too fast. If she doesn't plant the other end of the rope in the ground it's not actually tied down. You can put enough speed mods in the best one from trials that it's almost instantaneous though, iirc.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just played through this over the past couple weeks (got a PS4 recently), and quite enjoyed it. I found the combat pretty fun throughout on the normal setting so IDK. I mostly used stealth for humans and a variety of tactics for robits. Ropecaster for when I got in over my head for sure though, thing is the great equalizer.

Overall I was pretty satisfied with the world building and the story, there were a few things that bugged me but overall maybe more lore would explain them. It really takes the term "post-apocalyptic" to a new level, though. Also, GAIA apparently really likes triangles or pyramids or something.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Finally beat this today. Overall it was a very satisfying game to play. I especially liked trying to figure out the best way to take out each type of machine. The combat is way more interesting when you go for weakpoints rather than just trying to brute force stuff or lay down traps/tripwires before engaging.

The story is... interesting. The character development, voice acting, all the little datapoints with journals and logs and such you find are all really great and add a lot to the atmosphere of the world and game. The story itself though... it's a mess. So much stuff that doesn't make sense once you get into the real heart of what happened, though the intro and lead up to the reveal are all good.

Anyway definitely liked it and now that I've finished it I agree with the sentiment that I can't imagine playing the game on anything other than the ultra-hard setting. Combat is way more satisfying when you can't just brute force blow shit up with the best weapons.

Khane

That trailer shows nothing lol.

For NG+ it looks like all the gear has an extra mod slot. A few questions for anyone who has played through NG+:

1) Does NG+ keep going where if you beat NG+ you can do another NG++ with another mod slot on all gear?
2) If I do the ancient armory quest again does the NG+ version have a mod slot?
3) Do better mods with more stats drop in NG+?

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
Good list. I would add: does NG+ fix the trip wire insta-gib on any Dino?

I figured out the lure full stack trip wire thing, realised it broke gameplay, and resolved not to use it, but couldn't help myself and would setup a full stack before engaging the big Dino's, even if I started with the intent to kill them with dodge-roll mechanics, piles of burn arrows, etc.

Fixing that would stop my "batman preparation safety net" compulsion from making all fights guaranteed wins and make me want to play again because of the feeling of risk.

Khane

What was a full stack of trip wires when you were playing? It's like 14 or 15 now which is not enough to take down Thunderjaws or Rockbreakers (If you can actually kite them into the wires) and they are obviously useless against Stormbirds. I don't think a full stack will kill a Behemoth either.

This is, of course, talking about the Shadow Tripcaster. The Adept Tripcaster you can get in NG+ with an extra damage mod slotted into it might still one shot everything with a full stack.

Khane

Those videos are from like March and he's not playing on Ultra-Hard.

Admittedly I only have 2 +dmg modifiers (and one Handling modifier) in my tripcaster but even a full stack doesn't even come close to killing a thunderjaw on Ultra-Hard. Maybe 3 perfect 40% dmg mods would put it close to an insta kill. But even if all perfect damage mods put you over the edge it would take a loooooong time to farm those up, farming which you would have to do without being able to insta-kill.

I've tried whistling to lure a Stormbird but on Ultra-Hard I haven't found a Stormbird site where they even fly into whistling range, including the site he's at in that video. Or maybe they are immune to it on Ultra-Hard, don't know.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I 100% everything in my playthrough except I missed a bunch of the text lore scan things and a few of the voice ones. Do the ones I have carry over into NG+? Is there a way to actually track those bastards down? I was kind of hoping you'd get the option to show them on the map after you beat the game.

Khane

They don't carry over to NG+. Only your gear and inventory carry over.

I just tried to one shot a Thunderjaw in my NG+ Ultra Hard playthrough with an Adept Tripcaster with max +dmg.

Didn't even come close to killing it. Still had to use all the ammo from one of his disc launchers and half the ammo from the other to actually get him down.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Ya, Ultra Hard they get extra armor/hp, can't one shot them. (even with Adpet and +dmg max mod's)

I tried a few times, on Thunderjaws and Rockbreakers closest I could get was about 40ish% total damage.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Been playing this about 12 hours. Any other year this would be my GotY. Zelda's freedom just makes me wish for more freedom here. Just stumbled into my first cauldron. Curious to find out more.

So far my biggest complaints are the limited climbing and the lack of some sort of targeting (lock on).

• 2Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I thought lack of lock on was weird at first until I realized how important shooting individual components was. I mean you could argue you should be able to lock onto those, but most get knocked off in 2-3 good hits and the thing isn't always gonna even face the right way. I think locking on would be a pretty big hinderance fighting things past tier 1.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I wouldn't have minded an end-tree skill that allowed a lock-on of critical machine parts while in the bullet-time type thing.

• 1Solidarity

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I loaded this up this AM so I could refresh myself on how everything works before the expansion. This is still GOTY for me, I found the combination of gameplay and especially story to be just so much better than anything else so far this year.

Zelda's open world is cool and all, but aspects of it I found frustrating and Lord God I am tired of the same story over and over in Zelda

• 1Solidarity