Horizon: Zero Dawn

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Just bought this game and playing it through for the first time, I got the base version not the anniversary edition.

Question for you guys - spent a ton of time in the first zone just hunting for the artifacts, metal flowers and observation points.

If I ignore all that from now on and just do the main story line and the sidequests, how much am I missing out on?
Observation points are kinda neat for being able to see what real-world locations the various game locations correspond to, but that's about it. All the other collectables are just for selling to merchants in Meridian for special resource boxes.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
And you can go back and do all that whenever you want. The bits and pieces of data scattered throughout the ruins of the world add a ton of depth to the game. They did a great job of uniting you with compelling characters from the past. The premise is cool, the actual story is absurd, but the detail is phenomenal.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Just bought this game and playing it through for the first time, I got the base version not the anniversary edition.

Question for you guys - spent a ton of time in the first zone just hunting for the artifacts, metal flowers and observation points.

If I ignore all that from now on and just do the main story line and the sidequests, how much am I missing out on?

You can buy maps of the collectibles not too far into the game. Do that and grab them as you quest.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I just finished this. I'm glad I did almost all the side quest stuff including the DLC before completing the main quest that starts in Sunfall. Because there was no way I was going to ignore the main storyline after that. Fantastic game. An all-timer for me. One of the best I've ever played. I'm looking forward to the NG+ mode but I'll dive back into Witcher 3 for the 20th time and probably pick up God of War first.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I just finished this. I'm glad I did almost all the side quest stuff including the DLC before completing the main quest that starts in Sunfall. Because there was no way I was going to ignore the main storyline after that. Fantastic game. An all-timer for me. One of the best I've ever played. I'm looking forward to the NG+ mode but I'll dive back into Witcher 3 for the 20th time and probably pick up God of War first.
God of War is in my all time top 3, HZD and Witcher 3 all time top 5, if that helps your order of priority :cool:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

I love Witcher 3 as much as the next guy, but do yourself a favor and don't go back to it until after you play God of War. It is fucking phenomenal.

Brad2770

Going to read this whole thread. I’m already level 36, but on the level 12 main quest. Hunting the machines is too much fun. Also found the photo mode 2 days ago. My first screen capture blows me away as to how beautiful this game is. 19.99 Complete Edition digital copy on PS Store.

78B64725-F8A8-4981-A58E-648561F4F8E8.jpeg

• 11Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 11 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Fuck yeah. One of the best I've ever played. We are in a golden era of video games right now. This, God of War, Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild. Some excellent shit. I rarely ever do second playthroughs but I will with this one after I finish a couple other games (Nioh up next).

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Going to read this whole thread. I’m already level 36, but on the level 12 main quest. Hunting the machines is too much fun. Also found the photo mode 2 days ago. My first screen capture blows me away as to how beautiful this game is. 19.99 Complete Edition digital copy on PS Store.

View attachment 169677
Sweet, going to have to pick it up. Rented it when it came out. This one and GoW are the only two games I have beat in a long time on consoles.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brad2770

Page 15 of the thread. I’m reading on and off while playing and spending time with my kid. I really like this photo mode. I think I’m going to take quite a few screen captures with it.

614305A8-75BE-4167-9958-027710FF6725.jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wife loves this game, and has about 44 hours into it , level 29. Told her I'm gonna catch her and beat her, and I'm just level 8. So I gotta put some time in!!

She doesn't run and gun very well, so combat for her is a little more tough, but I'm glad she likes it. Much more interesting for me to watch than to see her do another run through of Skyrim. :)

Brad2770

If you got the Complete Edition addition, the DLC is meant to be done before beating the game.

Brad2770

Pro tip!! I had no idea. So when do you do it? Just after a while start it up?

I think it’s meant for level 35 plus, but I went there for the spear upgrade around level 25. It was rough, but doable. I didn’t do the DLC until after I beat the game. Doing things how Randin suggests is perfect.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Finally went back and started playing the Frozen Wilds DLC. Really enjoying it. It’s a pretty sizable amount of additional gameplay! Seems like they put way more effort into the side quests and errands, which is nice. The land mass seems small when you’re looking at the map, but it doesn’t feel small when you’re playing.

I saw less than 10% of the people who have the game have the trophy for completing the first quest of Frozen Wilds. It’s a shame because it’s pretty good so far. I think I’m a couple main quests from finishing it and have done everything else as I’ve come across it. The sound track is also amazing. The sound design in general is superb.

Edit: I almost forgot that I actually came here to complain about was how small the voice acting community seems to be for video games. One of the side quest NPCs is Illidan, the hunters grounds keeper is FemShep (plus a hundred other well known roles). I try not to let it keep me from enjoying the moment to moment gameplay, but I can’t help but think, “Illidan would never need help with a mere frostclaw. Are you kidding me?!” #firstworldproblems

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Finally playing through this. Think I've only got 3 main quests left - just killed the giant beast in the arena. This will undoubtedly be one of my favorite games of the PS4 era.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users