Horizon: Zero Dawn

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I should really play through the DLC. Story is good?
Yeah, I beat the story tonight. It’s definitely worth revisiting. It’s fairly self contained in terms of the DLC story, but it does a lot of world building and expands on what we learned from the main story.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah. And the final fight is pretty challenging.
The final fight was only the second time I died on Very Hard. The first time was when I hit an invisible death wall on the side of a slope. Give :tucosmith: negs for this injustice.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I was only missing a couple trophies from when i first played last year so I went ahead and finished them up. Feelsgoodman.jpeg

F629579B-74E2-4FCD-A53F-27D81B855318.jpeg

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Finally playing through this. Think I've only got 3 main quests left - just killed the giant beast in the arena. This will undoubtedly be one of my favorite games of the PS4 era.

Probably seems extra amazing after FFXV haha

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I do wish I'd kept my PS4 longer so I could do the DLC, etc. for this game. Maybe when we get some more disposable funds, I'll grab a pro this time so we can see this game in all its glory.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Combat is so damn fun it's really hard to go through the story and not get distracted by hunting random shit in the wild

• 1Solidarity

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Playing this on my home theater, 120" Sony 4K HDR Projector on a black diamond zero edge screen.

It's a speechless experience, really. Absolutely breathtaking.

And a little over 2 years later I finally beat it today. I had loved it at the start, but my PS4 blew up and when I got a new one I didn't have any saves, etc. I got too side tracked with other things, and just could not make time to replay and too distracted with Path of Exile, etc etc. The way my house is my PS4 is on the upstairs home theater, and my PC/Work/Gaming here is in my office on the complete opposite side of the house.

However, I saw this thread bumped and said "holy shit, I need to finish this!", and I did it the last few days and like everyone else says, amazing game. Here's some of my spoiler takes and theories/ideas. Not sure what's been verified or not but these are just my ideas. Note that I might be wrong on some of these, but it's how I remember the game. Please forgive any blatant mistakes.

Either way, game is like a 10/10 from me. I wish I played it earlier to completion, but you know... life and all that shit.

1. I believe the unknown signal is actually from Sylens. I believe that as he was learning/exploring the ancient knowledge when he discovered hades and realized the potential. He studied, and explored GAIA inside and out, and found a way to make the signal to make all the sub processes self aware so that he could learn all the ancient knowledge. He started going crazy for knowledge. Since APOLLO was gone(?) this was one of the only ways of obtaining the knowledge. As he said, he learned things like Calculus, etc from Hades. This also fits into how he was also able to "call" hades back to him at the very end. It also answers the question as to why he had a workshop at GAIA Prime. While he mentioned that hades never mentioned "your masters that sent the signal", I think that's Sylens being a bit of a pompous asshole. He knows full well he did it, and he's exerting dominance on hades for the kill order.

1a. Sylens also knew a lot more than he was ever letting on. I noticed twice while in the GAIA facility, when I would run to an elevator he would tell me through my focus to "watch your step" even though I wasn't close to the edge. Prior to this, before passing through a locked door, he would talk about how he tried to blast his way in for days, and could never make his way in. How would be know things like "watch your step" or things about the site layout, if he's never been in?

2. Ted Faro had access to the GAIA Prime facility because he had a back door into it which was put in without Elizabet's knowledge. I remember he was trying to get access to the back door when things first went out of control so this is not uncharacteristic. However, I am not sure how he was able to implement such a back door. He might have worked with the hades programmer or something to get it in there.

3. As much of a villian Ted Faro was, it was ironic that the Master Override which saved everyone from hades, was the result of Ted Faro. Elizabet did not want a Master Override, but Ted did and without it, all would have been lost.

4. I do not believe the ship in space blew up.

5. The entire sequence around the children in the cradle confused me. While APOLLO was deleted, what was the harm in not letting them in the door? Recall that the kids "hated" that door because they couldn't get in. However, if they could get in the area was useless anyway. Not sure what the point of sealing them in smaller quarters was. There's also the part where they ran out of food and were cast into the wilds. This is a really broken plot sequence because if things worked perfectly, but GAIA needed to reboot the world again for whatever reason, no new food would be in that place -- the cycle simply couldn't continue. I'm also confused, if you can create children, how could you not create food?

6. Even with the interviews, it's unclear where some of these people came from to make the HZD.

7. There was very little I recall about Elysium, or how others families spared. I wish there was more discussions on this matter.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The world in HZD is kind of a mess. A lot of it just doesn't make sense. They have the tech to re-terraform a dead planet with robots but can't feed the stations they left behind to "hatch" and raise new children? So they can reform a planet but can't put a garden in the stations? "We've run out of food, we have to send the children outside". But damn did they put a ton of effort and flavor into the world with all the old logs, transcripts, audio and video scattered throughout the world for us to find.

The combat is also just one of the most satisfying combat systems I've ever played through. It's a great game.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Put some hours into this recently when I get a moment on the ps4, and it's been a fun time. My biggest complaint right now is that I don't feel any stronger at level 5 as I do now at level 23. If you don't dodge, you're still gonna get fucked up by that strider or charger.

I guess I'm just used to different games where the power curve is such that you can take way more hits from a lower level stuff, and so you can just ass beat lower level stuff and not worry about it. Not the case for me, but maybe I'm just bad at the game.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Level is just for unlocking skill tree stuff, and there's only a handful of those that are really game-changing. Power comes from getting shadow+ weapons and well-rolled purple (or DLC unique) mods to put in them.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
The world in HZD is kind of a mess. A lot of it just doesn't make sense. They have the tech to re-terraform a dead planet with robots but can't feed the stations they left behind to "hatch" and raise new children? So they can reform a planet but can't put a garden in the stations? "We've run out of food, we have to send the children outside". But damn did they put a ton of effort and flavor into the world with all the old logs, transcripts, audio and video scattered throughout the world for us to find.

The combat is also just one of the most satisfying combat systems I've ever played through. It's a great game.

The world still being screwed up, is explained thru the story
This is why GAIA blew her own reactor

Put some hours into this recently when I get a moment on the ps4, and it's been a fun time. My biggest complaint right now is that I don't feel any stronger at level 5 as I do now at level 23. If you don't dodge, you're still gonna get fucked up by that strider or charger.

I guess I'm just used to different games where the power curve is such that you can take way more hits from a lower level stuff, and so you can just ass beat lower level stuff and not worry about it. Not the case for me, but maybe I'm just bad at the game.

The Shield-Weaver armor helps a bit with this, for weapon try and get what was stated earlier, and keep rolling purple mods till you get what you want, if you have Frozen Wilds you can also get a "mod" slot for the spear.

Brad2770

The DLC should be completed as soon as you can go there. I didn’t do it until after I beat the game, but for story and chronological order, it should be started around level 30-35.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I got distracted by life midway through this game (just ready to climb the first tower thing) and I’ve tried to get back to it a couple times. Both times I tried to go do some combat to get refreshed with controls and weapons and just get absolutely raped over and over for an hour before I give up. I can’t get myself to start over. I wonder how long it would take me to get back to that point.