Horizon: Zero Dawn

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Perhaps in 2020 we'll manage to coordinate a gaming session.

Definitely. Next Drunk Gaming weekend is the 24th. I am doing mainly consoles though because I hate my PC chair :)

Needless

Toe Sucker
This makes me want to go back and finish the DLC :( this game was easily my GOTY 2017

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I tried to go back to do the dlc but I couldn't stomach wrestling with controller aim again in a game so focused on ranged combat. This would be one of my top 5 games of all time if I could just use a fucking mouse.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Why even own a console if you're gonna bitch about a controller... You only play Madden or something?

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm gonna try and put more time into this on the weekend after I get home and hopefully get past some of my hangups with it.

I'm for sure bad, but even the lowliest robots feel like I'm hopping into a Dark Souls fight. 😔

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
How's the DLC for this? I platinumed the game when it came out, but haven't played since.
If you loved the vanilla game then you owe it to yourself to play the DLC. Set it on a lower difficulty if you’re too rusty and getting frustrated.

If you thought vanilla was -ok- then the DLC won’t do much for you as it’s more of the same and mostly just expands on the universe and fleshes out some of the characters.

When I played the DLC it was from a loaded save where I’d already beaten the game and it had sent me back to a couple missions before the final battle - so there’s no need to do a fresh play through.

• 1Like

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I'm gonna try and put more time into this on the weekend after I get home and hopefully get past some of my hangups with it.

I'm for sure bad, but even the lowliest robots feel like I'm hopping into a Dark Souls fight. 😔
Set the difficulty lower until you learn which tools to use against which machines. Pretty much every weapon has its niche. Iirc the higher difficulties make the machines a little too bullet spongy for my tastes, but it’s been a couple years since I last played.

Crone

Set the difficulty lower until you learn which tools to use against which machines. Pretty much every weapon has its niche. Iirc the higher difficulties make the machines a little too bullet spongy for my tastes, but it’s been a couple years since I last played.
My wife plays on the same difficulty and she beat the game. She can't even move and shoot at the same time! I'm not gonna stoop that low!

• 1Worf

Crone

I just found out my brother in law who's living with us for a while has a ps4 pro that he's not using at all while I've been pleb status on regular ps4. Wtf!

I was like hey can I borrow your ps4 so I can game in the bedroom at night? He's like sure, it's a Pro so will look great on your TV. Wtf! He's been holding out!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Also, this game in 4k HDR on Ps Pro is the best, hands down the best, representation of 4k HDR gaming you will see this generation. (God of War was very close but I think HZD beats it)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Rumors are that PS5 is going to have at least one exclusive at launch, and most people are thinking it's going to be a sequel to this. I'll be all over that without hesitation.

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My wife plays on the same difficulty and she beat the game. She can't even move and shoot at the same time! I'm not gonna stoop that low!

Your wife doesn’t even move and shoot and she’s better at it than you are? WTF, are you a game journalist?

• 6Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 9 users

Crone

Your wife doesn’t even move and shoot and she’s better at it than you are? WTF, are you a game journalist?
Hahaha right? Whenever I play my wife is like dang you're good! I'm likely exaggerating the toughness of some of the battles, but there is for sure some times where I'm like hey I'm gonna go kill/farm those striders over there and I end up burning through a potion or 2 or my whole herb bag.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I tried to go back to do the dlc but I couldn't stomach wrestling with controller aim again in a game so focused on ranged combat. This would be one of my top 5 games of all time if I could just use a fucking mouse.

The best way I have found to get to aiming and shooting on a console are GTA games. Fire up GTA5 on PS4 and you should be at least comfortable with it by the end. It has just the right amount of auto aim where you can play the game without being too penalized for being retarded.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I thought this game was incredibly well done combat wise. The slow mo skill sets make aiming pretty trivial and even if you don't want to lay traps you can still start fights with the appropriate ammo before the robots detect you and get a few key shots off. I can't think of many games with more satisfying combat. Hitting a "fuel" sac and crippling the robot or disabling it's key weaponry from range with good aim and the right ammo is outstanding fun.

If you can't be bothered to aim and shoot at something before you charge in I don't know what to tell you, this isn't a hand to hand combat game.

This is why I did not like the DLC. The Robots don't have the same type of weaknesses and move entirely too fast with no reprieve. It took the best part of the game... out of the game.

P.S. This is speaking from playing on the hardest difficulty. I always play with the difficulty cranked to maximum.

Crone

I thought this game was incredibly well done combat wise. The slow mo skill sets make aiming pretty trivial and even if you don't want to lay traps you can still start fights with the appropriate ammo before the robots detect you and get a few key shots off. I can't think of many games with more satisfying combat. Hitting a "fuel" sac and crippling the robot or disabling it's key weaponry from range with good aim and the right ammo is outstanding fun.

If you can't be bothered to aim and shoot at something before you charge in I don't know what to tell you, this isn't a hand to hand combat game.

This is why I did not like the DLC. The Robots don't have the same type of weaknesses and move entirely too fast with no reprieve. It took the best part of the game... out of the game.

P.S. This is speaking from playing on the hardest difficulty. I always play with the difficulty cranked to maximum.
I do not disagree about anything here. My 6 year old son and me both giggle and think it's great fun to hit a fuel sac and watch the explosion!

I just wish there was a little bit more leniency when fighting mobs like chargers or striders. Like I don't have to setup an intricate web of traps for these guys, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to be Johnny on the Spot with my dodges/rolls.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I do not like sneaking and trapping much at all, so I don’t do it. I find the slow mo ability makes aiming perfectly fine just like you said. Hide in grass, get a big first shot off while they aren’t moving, then go bouts with kiting and slow mo. If they get close, big attack then crit stab. Works for me and I’m 40 with 40 yo old reflexes. Fully realize I can’t game like i did when I was 20 but I don’t have much trouble with this game unlessI’m overwhelmed with multiple enemies.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Im rewatching the video from when you discover everything going on for HZD and goddamn. This fucking story is sick as fuck.

Like legit, they made the most insane crackpot theories sound plausible and not only gave us SSS+ tier combat but the way the world/history unfold is so well done.

I don't want, I -need- this sequel to come out.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
My favorite thing to do was shoot off the disc launchers from the T-Rexes, pick them up, and then use those to tear them up. I just liked blowing pieces off the bots in general, I did enjoy the combat or rather I never found it tedious and it was fun unlocking new weapons and abilities. I know there were some encounters that annoyed me and trying to max out the challenges for the Platinum wore me out on the game, it was a great game though with a cool world and story. This is one of those rare games I wish I could forget and play fresh all over again.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users