Horizon: Zero Dawn

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Very Hard is... very hard? I just did the first cauldron and that bellowback at the end was brutalizing me, I had to actually spam the entire room with traps, craft resist pots, and you know, use actual game mechanics and it was still hard.

What difficulty did most people play this on the first time around? Very Hard seems very bulletspongey, but is regular Hard too easy to be enjoyable?

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Very Hard is... very hard? I just did the first cauldron and that bellowback at the end was brutalizing me, I had to actually spam the entire room with traps, craft resist pots, and you know, use actual game mechanics and it was still hard.

What difficulty did most people play this on the first time around? Very Hard seems very bulletspongey, but is regular Hard too easy to be enjoyable?

Started at Very Hard , the game makes you use flame/freeze and tie-downs alot if you want too go on a robot murdering spree.. Once you get into the end game weapons, and mods it gets much easier even on the New Game+ "Ultra Hard".

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I played on Hard I think. I would die a few times on new mobs until I’d get the timing down on their move set. You couldn’t fuck up a whole lot but it wasn’t unforgiving like Dark Souls. Was pretty much perfect for me, I like a challenge but if I get stuck on something too long I just give up. I don’t have time for that shit anymore. I think towards the end when I was all powered up I wasn’t having much difficulty but by then I’m just ready to be done so wasn’t a problem for me. The snake boss on Nioh 2 was the most recent one I just gave up. Like 20+ tries and wasn’t getting very close, said fuck it and moved on.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Is it just me or does the Frozen Wilds content have much better voice acting than the base game?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

Very hard is the way to play, every thing less is too easy and ultra hard is just gay. That first cauldron is just difficult to begin with, given the way power progresses in this game, the rest are easier. You can also do what I did and go do frozen wilds the second it's reachable and then just face roll the rest of the game.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the game has been much easier since the first Cauldron. The second Cauldron wasn't even remotely challenging. I beat all 15 trials on gold and got the Lodge weapons, and bought one of the Banuk Striker bows.

Some shit is still hard though. The Hunter trials in FW seem damn near impossible to get gold

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the game has been much easier since the first Cauldron. The second Cauldron wasn't even remotely challenging. I beat all 15 trials on gold and got the Lodge weapons, and bought one of the Banuk Striker bows.

Some shit is still hard though. The Hunter trials in FW seem damn near impossible to get gold
Oh yeah the FW trial sucked. I dropped it to story difficulty to make it retardedly easy and basically to pretend like they didn’t exist.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I was able to get the silver ones but shaving 30 seconds off to get gold seems impossible.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I was able to get the silver ones but shaving 30 seconds off to get gold seems impossible.
Yeah I dont know how that shit is doable. I spent at least half a day grinding it and wasnt even close.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I dont know how that shit is doable. I spent at least half a day grinding it and wasnt even close.
So I was really stubborn and beat all 3 FW Trials @ Blazing Suns on Very Hard. The first 2 were easy-ish but that last trial took me like 30 real attempts and dozens more attempts aborted in the first 20 seconds. You have to use the log traps perfectly AND also play super tight.

FW chief trial.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
So I was really stubborn and beat all 3 FW Trials @ Blazing Suns on Very Hard. The first 2 were easy-ish but that last trial took me like 30 real attempts and dozens more attempts aborted in the first 20 seconds. You have to use the log traps perfectly AND also play super tight.

View attachment 348599
I suspect I would have done slightly better on a keyboard but I probably would have still boomered it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I really enjoyed the DLC a lot more than the main game, the main game has way too many sidequests and collectibles in the middle section that distract from the flow of the story. Still trying to get through the main game. The writing and VO in the DLC is just a lot better as well. Hopefully the sequel will kick even more ass.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob

as jsquirrel said above, free for EVERYONE for like the next few weeks. No PS+ or anything required

weird thing is even though I own the orig game (and plat'd it) and bought the DLC it let me buy the ^ link and even download it, not sure what'll happen when I run it. I never played the DLC so may as well give it a spin this month

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>

as jsquirrel said above, free for EVERYONE for like the next few weeks. No PS+ or anything required

weird thing is even though I own the orig game (and plat'd it) and bought the DLC it let me buy the ^ link and even download it, not sure what'll happen when I run it. I never played the DLC so may as well give it a spin this month
As I recall, the DLC is pretty seamless to jump into with your plat save. It’s been a few years since I played but I think it took me 15-20 hours to 100% the DLC. I used my 100% save that put me back before the point of no return after beating the game.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Been playing this for free, someone randomly mentioned you can aug your spear with DLC so I went into that at level 31. Nice 11k xp off the intro enemy and 5 mile run through the snow for a +21% on 35 damage. No regrets.

Anything more i should bother doing in the Frozen Wilds before I continue with the base game?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Been playing this for free, someone randomly mentioned you can aug your spear with DLC so I went into that at level 31. Nice 11k xp off the intro enemy and 5 mile run through the snow for a +21% on 35 damage. No regrets.

Anything more i should bother doing in the Frozen Wilds before I continue with the base game?
Just do the whole DLC. You get some insane unique mods.