Horrible horrible pain.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks, guys. Interesting... I really appreciate the feedback. Still not sure what to do as everything else I have tried (non opiate) has been a complete waste of time and money. I'd be better off burning $20's as incense at this point. Maybe giving less of a fuck is what I need to do for a while? Masking seems logical as an interim plan anyway if it actually does anything?

See the doc(s) again this week and will bring it up. Should go over like a pile of shit.

In the meantime, Gravy do you mind if I lick your avatar!

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
In the hospital, we give people coming off opiates Robaxin and Ibuprofen along with a bevy of other things to try and help. The physical part takes about 4-7 days but the mental part takes a really long time and is difficult to treat.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm not that kind of doctor, but looking into it a little, seems pretty easy to diagnose.
Diagnosis was easy; treatment was not. Also, costochondritis shares many symptoms with other diseases so it was never 100%. I had nerve blocks on my ribs, took all sorts of drugs that were supposed to help with fibromyalgia, and for a while I was taking some of the lighter opiates. The opiates were the only thing that helped, but mostly they just made it to where I didn't care that it hurt. I didn't take them for long because I was really worried about addiction.

Hope you get to feelin better soon =/

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In the hospital, we give people coming off opiates Robaxin and Ibuprofen along with a bevy of other things to try and help. The physical part takes about 4-7 days but the mental part takes a really long time and is difficult to treat.
Funny, they have me taking that exact thing (Robaxin/Advil). It hasn't done shit for me so far, but I guess it's a common treatment (apparently). Find out about prescription THC tabs tomorrow.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I couldn't agree more that the opiates are not a good solution, but when you are backed into a corner like this even the drain cleaner starts to look appealing. I really have no idea wtf to do as the only thing that has worked so far is an addictive, withdrawal-laden, long-term mess.

I have heard Dr. Drew on the Stern show but have never seen/heard his show(s). Thanks for the link.

Jesus, Dandai - I have had a nerve block too! Talk about a bad memory. Didn't go well at all as Ireallystarted to struggle with my breathing shortly afterwards. Scary as fuck.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Venting...

So now they want me to try a new recipe - Oxycodone and Gabapentin. Was hoping to get away from that shit, but I guess I'll try this for three weeks. One doc (pain mgmt clinic) is pushing for THC as the alternate, the other two say its a waste of time and I should stick with oxys for now.

Round and round we go.

dolaan_sl

shitlord
I did not go back to see where your pain is coming from, but have you considered talking to you doctor about how a Compound Pharmacy could help?

Basically a compound pharmacy can take a series of FDA approved drugs and combine them together to make kinda a super drug. My company is nationwide, specialize in topical pain creams and even makes compounds for NFL players.

One of the main advantages is that the compounds work locally (where you pain is) as oppose to systemically, not ingested so no 1st past effect, and some times allergies are not a problem. We often work with people who have pain and have to avoid opiates for whatever reason.

If you have any questions let me know I will attempt to help anyway I can.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Pain management clinics are just drug dealers. You will never get anything but more opiates from those guys.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Didn't want to start a thread and since it's pain related I'll put it here.
This morning I had surgery to remove another desmoid tumor from my left upper abdominal area. Went exactly as planned no problems. Was told oh it'll just feel like you have a cracked rib or 3.
protip: Don't ever fucking ever crack a rib or 3. Just breathing is an exercise in pain management futility lol. And the oxycodone they gave me makes it very difficult to see straight. Which is a welcomed alternative compared to crippling pain.

p.s. Any got a Wildstar beta invite?
Isn't that the thing to do? Beg for a beta invite when you have cancer??

p.s.s. It only took me 15 minutes to post this cross eyed on my Nexus 7. Major accomplishment the IMO.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Cracked/broken ribs are a much worse pneumonia. Breathing can be a bitch, especially if you take deep breaths. Keep us updated on how you're doing. :>

Oldbased

> Than U
Hah I cracked my ribs bad back in 2005 building a house. Big fucking 2 story house was like 30 feet in the air hanging onto nothing all day installing these 34 foot trusses with only 1 other guy.
Oh wait! I didn't get hurt doing that! No, no I was packing up for the day and tripped in the driveway and landed on the skil saw case. Yup after all that life and death shit I managed the 2nd worst injury I've had in 41 years by tripping.

Anyways they have me on hydro which was not enough to even breathe let alone cough or laugh, fuck laughing with cracked ribs. So they added Tylenol 3 said to take both. Well that shit never did anything for me but guess what, taking both as prescribed put me into respiratory distress and made my throat swell to the point I was hyperventilating and couldn't get air. Was like 40 miles from home trying to drive gasping for air. By the time I got back to the hospital and waited in the fucking ER for over a hour nearly blue and passed out from lack of oxygen, the shit wore off enough I could breathe.

I told the ER nurse fuck you, threw the Tylenol 3 into the trash and never taken that shit since, but I still do take Hydro for back pain when I can get it.

The end.

Hope you heal well and get out of pain soon.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Just wanted to add my surgery and drug experiences. About two years ago I had a hurniated L4-L5 disc that basically crippled me, couldn't walk, stand up remotely straight, sleep for more than an hour or so at a time etc. Before I knew what the problem was (most of my pain was through my hip and down my leg) my doctor gave me hydrocodone and then oxycodone, which did absolutely nothing for the pain, but helped me to sleep 2-3 hours at a time. Lived through this hell for about 6 months until I could diagnose and get surgery in. I remember waking up after surgery with a sore neck and throat, bad pain in my back and just laughing because it felt so good comparatively. I mean if they wouldn't have been able to fix it I would not have wanted to keep living.

The Saturday after the most recent thanksgiving I went to stand up and felt like I got stabbed in the back, similar pain as before but not quite so debilitating. This time it was the L3-L4 disc, and I had surgery this past Wednesday. On some oxy to help sleep, but otherwise it's not bad. But the pooping thing is serious business. Take Mira lax and either colace or dulcolax every day or the stomach pain will be terrible (learned that from my first surgery)

My surgeon still doesn't understand why I am having so many disc problems, usually multiple disc hurniations result from an extremely physical job, obesity, or some sort of trauma, none of which apply to me. Guess I'm just lucky.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Actually I'm recovering fairly well. The pain has been manageable and was able to take a shower today so I at least feel like a human being again. That first shower after surgery always feels awesome.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Olebass: I am shocked they gave you Tylenol with Hydrocodone because there is acetaminophen in the Hydrocodone. You could also probably sue them for potentially fucking your liver as it exceeds the Tylenol/day limit.

edit: Also, they prioritize in the ER and while you didn't have cardiac problems, you had airway problems so you should have been seen immediately. I hate Jewlawyers, but, I would recommend you speaking to the hospital manager about malpractice.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
So I was diagnosed with diverticulitis a month back after having one of the worst stomach/groin pains of my life. Thankfully I didn't need to be hospitalized and a double dose of antibiotics and painkillers was able to get me through it. However since then, at least once a week minor versions of the pain come back, as well as incredible bloating and constipation. Fucking sucks, especially since it's labelled as a "westerner disease" brought on by a shitty diet-- except I'm not a fat fuck, only forty, and eat very little junk food.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
A doctor tried to tell my step-dad that he had diverticulitis last spring even though he told him that he had fallen off of a horse the day before the pain started. He went to another doctor and was correctly diagnosed with a broken rib :p.