House of the Dragon

Sinistkir13

Bronze Knight of the Realm
In an effort to villify everyone else especially queen alicent and to showcase Rhaenyra as the rightful and legitimate heir, they've added a bunch of tension and drama that does not exist between the characters they are portraying.

But the writers have hacked so many characters and changed so much shit for this show, that it does not make sense for her to be on dragonstone at this stage, she is basically retreating.
Thank you for the explanations. Things definitely felt off, particularly the vilification you mentioned, which was very on the nose - especially this early on.

Her heading to Dragonstone also felt really odd because even the way she went about it and how it was presented certainly gave more of an impression of retreating.
And the biggest mistake this show made was changing the cast mid season. They gave themselves a L before they even got started with that decision, where was the adult in the room when this was proposed? Who the fuck is responsible for understanding the audience? NO ONE WANTS THIS. Not a single fucking person watching was like, "Oh...hey look they changed the actor of the princess! Wow, how exciting! This is what im talking about!"

It might be the worse non writing decision ever made in a high profile TV show. What makes it all the more jarring, is the fact that they featured Criston Cole so prominently in the first episode with the new actors. They didnt even give the guy a FUCKING BEARD. They literally kept his appearance the SAME. LOLWUT. Its SO DUMB. Its almost like a troll.
It came across as not just skipping over dealing with any of the repercussions of the last episode's ending, but significant character development for key people, as though nothing eventful happened between just a political marriage ceremony and many years later when the bride is now looking like borderline satire of a young woman becoming haggard from popping out so many damn kids.

I think that they broomed through too many side characters' actors while dropping some major changes amongst the core cast, but then they left others completely unchanged without much consistency.

As you noted, there's Criston who didn't age a day, or Rhaenyra's own husband who looks almost younger with the new actor since we saw the previous one at the battle - although I'd also attribute that to the foppish demeanor the "same" guy suddenly put on.

Then there is someone like Daemon who is exactly the same, but the trouble there is that Matt Smith is the most entertaining one in the show since the first episode, which only makes some of the cast changes come off as questionable when they're sidegrades at best and downgrades at worst.
jesus, does every non reader need a pocket Sylas Sylas to know wtf is happening?

did i miss this positioning of heirs to dragonstone? i mean i remember stannis in dragonstone when war broke out
Lots of important political dealings that could have been genuinely interesting world building and narrative development have been apparently left out in favor of them just expecting us to care because they referenced names or something.

Seeing as how the source material that they're working from is comparably sparse to GoT, they could have benefitted from juicing up the plot with deeper political stakes to get invested in. Anyone who isn't as deeply familiar just isn't going to see the significance in events/actions or give much of a damn about anything if the show can't be bothered to introduce why these things matter.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The writers are all probably liberals. Im starting to realize that any person who is aligned to the left politically is mostly subpar as a creative person.

And the biggest mistake this show made was changing the cast mid season. They gave themselves a L before they even got started with that decision, where was the adult in the room when this was proposed? Who the fuck is responsible for understanding the audience? NO ONE WANTS THIS. Not a single fucking person watching was like, "Oh...hey look they changed the actor of the princess! Wow, how exciting! This is what im talking about!"

It might be the worse non writing decision ever made in a high profile TV show. What makes it all the more jarring, is the fact that they featured Criston Cole so prominently in the first episode with the new actors. They didnt even give the guy a FUCKING BEARD. They literally kept his appearance the SAME. LOLWUT. Its SO DUMB. Its almost like a troll.
in the history of television, very few popular characters have ever been recasted mid season of a TV show and recovered from it. usually it was done due to death or some salary dispute and their hand was forced. here they did it on purpose. its definitely a bold move, Cotton.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
in the history of television, very few popular characters have ever been recasted mid season of a TV show and recovered from it. usually it was done due to death or some salary dispute and their hand was forced. here they did it on purpose. its definitely a bold move, Cotton.

And you just know it was that faggot GRRM who pushed it through for "source material" continuity. "We need a time jump" A cringe verbatim copying of the source material just for this ONE specific thing, but fuck everything else to do with the source material. Just had to get this ONE contribution from GRRM's fat mouth. "muh time jump and recast!"

Because the fatass can't write characters anymore. He can't do a chapter of a book, he can't do a few episodes of TV. The other showrunners aren't D&D, and were never going to be able to adapt what little they had to work with and flesh it out.

Bet your bottom dollar it comes out fatass was behind the recasting decision. You just know that worthless sack of shit made his one little contribution and suggested the recasting for his little time jump--- rather than write a compelling story adapted for television. (because he can't)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
or bitch slappers

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
And you just know it was that faggot GRRM who pushed it through for "source material" continuity. "We need a time jump" A cringe verbatim copying of the source material just for this ONE specific thing, but fuck everything else to do with the source material. Just had to get this ONE contribution from GRRM's fat mouth. "muh time jump and recast!"

Because the fatass can't write characters anymore. He can't do a chapter of a book, he can't do a few episodes of TV. The other showrunners aren't D&D, and were never going to be able to adapt what little they had to work with and flesh it out.

Bet your bottom dollar it comes out fatass was behind the recasting decision. You just know that worthless sack of shit made his one little contribution and suggested the recasting for his little time jump--- rather than write a compelling story adapted for television. (because he can't)
eh i mean, but why? I don't see why GRRM would of had anything to do with this time jump unless he was just heartlessly trolling HBO for what they did to the last few seasons of GoT.

There is no time jump in this book, so nothing to remain faithful to? And absolutely nothing of any importance really happens prior to the time jump. 75% of this show so far is made up completely whole cloth to add tension and drama. they literally could of just did a voice over to say "the story to far" or an intro title card, or if they really, really wanted to, they could of dedicated like half of episode 1 to a flash back or something.

The show that we got started with basically a voice over explaining what happened in 101 AL which was when the old king held a grand council inviting every single lord in the realm to vote on who would be heir, and they chose his son's son Viserys rather than his Daughter Rhaenys. Then it jumps to like 110 AL, and dicks around there for no fucking reason for 5 episodes, half a fucking season, before it jumps to 120 AL. Then it's going to eventually have to jump to 129 AL which is when the god damn dance of dragons starts.

It would be one thing if they were taking it seriously and actually developing these characters and people gave a shit, but with the way they are going why do they even bother? Does it matter that Corlys wife is Rhaenys, the Queen that never was? (She is who all the lords voted against during the grand council, instead voting for Viserys the king we have in the show). Did any of the TV only audience know that? Does it actually matter?

It should of started in 125 AL, brief voice over or flash back, couple of episodes to establish characters and plot so the audience knows who's who and whats at stake, and time to pick their "side" and then started the god damn war in earnest. The war lasts 2 years, you can easily stretch that shit out for 3-4 seasons.

At this rate this show will be cancelled before the war even starts.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

GRRM would have to be some kind of fucking retard for him to do that. as much as i am pissed off at him killing off ASOIAF (WoW is coming, any day now!) i still think he has the mental capacity to realize what a bonehead move it would be to recast somebody doing a perfectly good job mid season. if they can use makeup and CG to make somebody to look young, there is no fucking reason they cant do the same to make them look old. there had to be some drastic reason for this. like she got pregnant or her black boyfriend used her for a punching bag and she was in intensive care for the rest of shooting. this literally never happens for continuity reasons. you sign the actor on for work and they do it til their contract is over or their character is killed off/written out. i never heard of a mid season contract.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I sometimes wonder if any of you watch the show or just watch retarded Youtuber videos about it and then parrot some third party retard interpretation of what you saw.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
GRRM would have to be some kind of fucking retard for him to do that. as much as i am pissed off at him killing off ASOIAF (WoW is coming, any day now!) i still think he has the mental capacity to realize what a bonehead move it would be to recast somebody doing a perfectly good job mid season. if they can use makeup and CG to make somebody to look young, there is no fucking reason they cant do the same to make them look old. there had to be some drastic reason for this. like she got pregnant or her black boyfriend used her for a punching bag and she was in intensive care for the rest of shooting. this literally never happens for continuity reasons. you sign the actor on for work and they do it til their contract is over or their character is killed off/written out. i never heard of a mid season contract.

He's one of the showrunners and executive producers. He was featured as one of 2 exec producers at the SDCC event.

He did nothing to stop it. He was in a position to produce this show and had input on every aspect of it. There's no other explanation for it besides GRRM not being able to write TV.

At the end of the day he's the chief creative and it falls on him to prevent it from happening. But he couldn't offer anything else besides the source material time jump. "Well what do you got?"

"I got nothing" - GRRM

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
eh i mean, but why?

There is no time jump in this book, so nothing to remain faithful to? And absolutely nothing of any importance really happens prior to the time jump.

She gets unappealing, has a family or what not. This is all time elapsed. Time elapsed is implicit in the facts of the narrative. An idiot like GRRM would offer to literally interpret that into TV.

Which is fine. But that's 2,3,4 seasons. Not 1 season. Condensing the time into a single season has irreparably damaged the storytelling and discarded a bunch of characters.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
He's one of the showrunners and executive producers. He was featured as one of 2 exec producers at the SDCC event.

He did nothing to stop it. He was in a position to produce this show and had input on every aspect of it. There's no other explanation for it besides GRRM not being able to write TV.

At the end of the day he's the chief creative and it falls on him to prevent it from happening. But he couldn't offer anything else besides the source material time jump. "Well what do you got?"

"I got nothing" - GRRM
exec producer is often just a figurehead role. GRRM is an old man, he isnt a workaholic by any measure, he is still milking books he wrote long ago and calling them new because somebody drew some new pictures in it. he's a total scam a this point. the real producers of this show dont have time to wait for this old fuck to do something. decisions have to be made today. right now.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
exec producer is often just a figurehead role. GRRM is an old man, he isnt a workaholic by any measure, he is still milking books he wrote long ago and calling them new because somebody drew some new pictures in it. he's a total scam a this point. the real producers of this show dont have time to wait for this old fuck to do something. decisions have to be made today. right now.

Completely agree, but HBO promoted GRRM as a chief creative on HOTD. He was trotted and billed as being more involved than GoT. "This time was going to be different" was the marketing ploy. Instead its another bumrush narrative ala GoT S7 and S8.

So since HBO said he's this big boss creative on HOTD-- I'll hold him to that.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Completely agree, but HBO promoted GRRM as a chief creative on HOTD. He was trotted and billed as being more involved than GoT. "This time was going to be different" was the marketing ploy. Instead its another bumrush narrative ala GoT S7 and S8.

So since HBO said he's this big boss creative on HOTD-- I'll hold him to that.
well in that case, yes, he gets the blame for this show's retardation. they only did that because of GoT season 8. they needed to tell people and make sure they knew that this wasnt a bait and switch" Daeny sort of forgot about the Iron Fleet" fucking bullshit. reality though, this was just a paycheck for GRRM and he probably watched some dailies and called it good or whatever, he got no final say in any case. cant wait on this guy for approval.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
well in that case, yes, he gets the blame for this show's retardation. they only did that because of GoT season 8. they needed to tell people and make sure they knew that this wasnt a bait and switch" Daeny sort of forgot about the Iron Fleet" fucking bullshit. reality though, this was just a paycheck for GRRM and he probably watched some dailies and called it good or whatever, he got no final say in any case. cant wait on this guy for approval.
Hopefully they'll kick GRRM's ass off the Jon Snow series and the Dunk and Egg series. We don't need to see him. He's in his 70's now. It's elder abuse making him travel for all these press appearances and conventions just to prop his gut up. Let some nobodies like Rings of Power take a whack at those stories.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I sometimes wonder if any of you watch the show or just watch retarded Youtuber videos about it and then parrot some third party retard interpretation of what you saw.
Have you ever found a mediocre show you won't scramble down onto your knees to suck off?

• 4Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Bit slow in parts but the death scale of elites was pretty high.
Lots of changes to the family trees.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
after carefully weighing all the facts and political ramifactions, I stand with #TeamGreen

let us see more tapestries, my queen

pacing is my main complaint still, i don't really know who the fuck any of these kids are or why i should care about any of this. i'm sure after another episode or two it'll settle in but its weird to see only 2 actors changed and everyone else is the same and doesn't really look any older, Rhaeny looked like she aged fucking 30 years while Alicent aged 10. The King has turned into the crypt keeper but everyone else is the same as episode 1. Its just so bizarre and I have zero immersion.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Goatface

if you knew nothing outside the show, would probably think Daemon is an immortal

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
damn that baelish dagger has been everywhere

is there some fable that whoever it cuts is a cunt, cuz i remember catelyn getting cut by it

you know, i've come to appreciate the rewritten noggers, it's actually kinda easy to tell whom belongs to whom

Last edited:
  • 1Like