Household Major Appliances

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The only innovation that dishwashers need at this point is to load/unload themselves. They will never need wifi. The only command anyone needs to give a dishwasher is "wash the dishes".

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Have what's probably a dumb question: I have one of those 5000 BTU GE air conditioners Best Buy always has stacked up in huge piles. It barely cools off half of my living room so I guess I should have gotten the 8000 or 10000. I don't recommend this one, it's just too weak.

In any case, there's a blinking red light right under the "Filter" button. I can't find the manual for the device. Figured the filter just needed to be cleaned. Took the filter out and it barely had anything on it, maybe a little bit of dust. Got that all clean, put it back, red light still blinking. Pressed the "Filter" button and the light stopped. A week or so later the red light is blinking again. Googling this says it could be like ten different things. The unit runs fine, though I don't think it's as cold as it was before all of this, but it might just be because the ambient temperature is up. It's no emergency but if anyone has any ideas what the deal is lemme know.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Have what's probably a dumb question: I have one of those 5000 BTU GE air conditioners Best Buy always has stacked up in huge piles. It barely cools off half of my living room so I guess I should have gotten the 8000 or 10000. I don't recommend this one, it's just too weak.

In any case, there's a blinking red light right under the "Filter" button. I can't find the manual for the device. Figured the filter just needed to be cleaned. Took the filter out and it barely had anything on it, maybe a little bit of dust. Got that all clean, put it back, red light still blinking. Pressed the "Filter" button and the light stopped. A week or so later the red light is blinking again. Googling this says it could be like ten different things. The unit runs fine, though I don't think it's as cold as it was before all of this, but it might just be because the ambient temperature is up. It's no emergency but if anyone has any ideas what the deal is lemme know.
I could be wrong but I think the filter lights are on a timer/calendar. After x amount of time they come on to tell you to check the filter and then you reset the warning light.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Bought another half beef this year and decided to upgrade our small chest freezer to a larger upright for easier access to the meat. The chest was only 5.0 cu ft or so and barely fit last year’s cow along with a couple of random things.

Best Buy had an Insignia 17 cu ft for $700 and with Total Tech I got the free delivery and warranty. Home Depot, Lowes, local appliance were all about the same.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Need to start looking at some appliances for the new house. Any thoughts on side-by-side vs French door fridge? I have never had a French door but know people who like them better than side by side.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Are you talking about the one with the drawer freezer on the bottom? I have that and I like it quite a bit. It's a bit less convenient to access the freezer but more convenient to access the refrigerator which I do about 10x as much as the freezer. If you go that way though, don't get the ice through the door. The little half-assed freezer compartment for the icemaker is just a joke. It's not that hard to open the freezer to get your ice and generally you will have more and better ice with an ice maker in the freezer.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Are you talking about the one with the drawer freezer on the bottom? I have that and I like it quite a bit. It's a bit less convenient to access the freezer but more convenient to access the refrigerator which I do about 10x as much as the freezer. If you go that way though, don't get the ice through the door. The little half-assed freezer compartment for the icemaker is just a joke. It's not that hard to open the freezer to get your ice and generally you will have more and better ice with an ice maker in the freezer.
Yeah, the French is the freezer on the bottom and two split fridge doors on top.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Need to start looking at some appliances for the new house. Any thoughts on side-by-side vs French door fridge? I have never had a French door but know people who like them better than side by side.

Mine is a French; I like it. Generally you access the fridge more than the freezer anyway, or at least I do. This is this year's model equivalent of the model I have.

• LG and Bosch generally have the highest satisfaction among mass market brands when people are polled
    • Cafe and Fisher & Paykel are well-liked if you want a luxury brand
  • LG is also probably the least woke/political of the major brands.
  • Some LGs have a "door-in-door" feature (InstaView) where you can push a button that will only let you into the side shelves of the refrigerator if you just want to grab one thing like juice or a water pitcher. Helps save energy. Not a killer feature, but a nice-to-have.
  • About all of the mass market brands are equally (un)reliable, with Samsung and Electrolux being slightly behind all others
  • Icemakers/water dispensers are typically the first components that fail, so if you don't need them, don't get a fridge with them (or in the case of the icemaker, just don't hook the water line up).
If you are willing to eschew aesthetics and door ergonomics in favor of something that is as close to BIFL as you'll be able to get in the modern era of planned obsolescence, old-fashioned top-freezer and bottom-freezer models are the best. Both side-by-sides and Frenches are less reliable.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The door-in-door feature I’ve really liked on our Samsung. Put kiddos juice right there or a Topo Chico, condiments. Not that opening a whole door is hard, it just works well to have the smaller window.

I do agree that in our next French door we would get the ice maker in the bottom freezer portion. It takes up too much room of the refrigerator and defeats a lot of the extra space we would otherwise have.

The smaller pull out fridge drawer is also nice but probably not a must have. Again, it is just one of those easy things to put sandwich meat, cheese, yogurt, snacks. We have a chest freezer and now the new upright freezer so we’re not exactly dying for freezer space at the moment.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Throw that shit out and buy a Midea U 12k btu

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Throw that shit out and buy a Midea U 12k btu
I have a Midea in my detached garage (400 sq ft) and it does in fact rule.

Coming up on a quandary of my own. Our range (A Samsung which is around 10 years old, and I'm learning to agree with a lot of people who don't have high opinions of Samsung appliances) is having an issue with the oven staying lit (It's gas). I'm looking and betting my engineering skills could breathe a little more life into it. But I have the spare cash to do some things right now so I am thinking it's time for an upgrade.

Have other had success with these newer ranges there there are two over areas? My head says it would be convenience for when Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus is in a cooking frenzy and needs to do things at different temp ranges. But at the same time a part of my brain says it's making a gas range overly complicated and probably going to cause issues. The current range is obviously a single oven set up and the under oven warming area is basically just an over glorified baking tray holder for us right now.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I have to say that my Samsung washer and dryer are pretty great. I've had them for around 10 years without a glitch and my brother has a set that are at least 5 years older than that. Not to discount others experiences but just adding my story. I've have a lot of trouble with appliances over the years but my Samsung washer and dryer have been an exception to that.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have to say that my Samsung washer and dryer are pretty great. I've had them for around 10 years without a glitch and my brother has a set that are at least 5 years older than that. Not to discount others experiences but just adding my story. I've have a lot of trouble with appliances over the years but my Samsung washer and dryer have been an exception to that.
I will second this on the washer/dryers. Our Samsungs worked great. The dryer needed a new heater coil after about 5 years but it was a 15 or 20$ part on Amazon and about a 5 minute fix after I took the bitch apart to get to it. Yay YouTube.

Other Samsung appliances I have not heard great stories about.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a Midea in my detached garage (400 sq ft) and it does in fact rule.

Coming up on a quandary of my own. Our range (A Samsung which is around 10 years old, and I'm learning to agree with a lot of people who don't have high opinions of Samsung appliances) is having an issue with the oven staying lit (It's gas). I'm looking and betting my engineering skills could breathe a little more life into it. But I have the spare cash to do some things right now so I am thinking it's time for an upgrade.
does the broiler work? if the broiler works (b/c most ppl never use the broiler) usually the igniter is the same for both you can swap to test

Haus

<Silver Donator>
does the broiler work? if the broiler works (b/c most ppl never use the broiler) usually the igniter is the same for both you can swap to test
It has separate igniters, I've already swapped the one on the over side (bottom). It gets hot enough to ignite, and does ignite, but then goes out. Which makes me think something in gas regulation is faulting and shutting off then opening back up. Digging that far into replacing parts in a gas stove is where my risk aversion starts to kick in much higher.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Mine is a French; I like it. Generally you access the fridge more than the freezer anyway, or at least I do. This is this year's model equivalent of the model I have.

• LG and Bosch generally have the highest satisfaction among mass market brands when people are polled
    • Cafe and Fisher & Paykel are well-liked if you want a luxury brand
  • LG is also probably the least woke/political of the major brands.
  • Some LGs have a "door-in-door" feature (InstaView) where you can push a button that will only let you into the side shelves of the refrigerator if you just want to grab one thing like juice or a water pitcher. Helps save energy. Not a killer feature, but a nice-to-have.
  • About all of the mass market brands are equally (un)reliable, with Samsung and Electrolux being slightly behind all others
  • Icemakers/water dispensers are typically the first components that fail, so if you don't need them, don't get a fridge with them (or in the case of the icemaker, just don't hook the water line up).
If you are willing to eschew aesthetics and door ergonomics in favor of something that is as close to BIFL as you'll be able to get in the modern era of planned obsolescence, old-fashioned top-freezer and bottom-freezer models are the best. Both side-by-sides and Frenches are less reliable.
Ended up buying the Whirlpool 4-door French door. It's counter depth and has no external handles. Fits perfectly in the space It's got. Had lots of crazy good reviews. You can actually set the temp on the bottom right freezer area to act as a 3rd fridge area which I might do since I am buying a standalone freezer for the garage.

Thanks all for the info.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ended up buying the Whirlpool 4-door French door. It's counter depth and has no external handles. Fits perfectly in the space It's got. Had lots of crazy good reviews. You can actually set the temp on the bottom right freezer area to act as a 3rd fridge area which I might do since I am buying a standalone freezer for the garage.

Thanks all for the info.
as long as you didn't get the ice dispensor built in the door

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
as long as you didn't get the ice dispensor built in the door
Nope. No door ice dispenser at all. Reviews said they tend to suck on French door models. Its got a built in ice maker that is on a pull out tray down below.