How to handle a bad VP

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Not always true. In my 25+ years in IT, I've known at least 2, possibly 3, Women that weren't batshit.

Not batshit? Sure. But I've never encountered a very competent female IT professional. A few "semi-decents" but never "wow" or "guru", and that's with my 22 years in IT. Then there's the fact that with the rare exception, your "man cave" IT department now has to act all prim and proper because of the female. It's rarely worth the fucking headache.

The fact of the matter is that 99.9% of women that go into IT just saw it as a job with a decent amount of dollar signs involved. They are rarely the dude who has been pulling lan cable across his lawn to play some multiplayer C&C back in the '90's, let alone the guy who goes home after work to work to build a VMware cluster just for the fun of it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
My best friend from HS...yes the way fucking back, knew she wanted into the magical realm of bits and bytes then. Our HS was the first in the County to offer coursework. We had Tandy's TRS 80, we wrote Basic. I would have so failed that class without her. Of course she would have failed microbiology and College Lit. without me, so it was a good balance.
My point - yes, there are non crazy skilled women who do this work. It was and remains her passion. She also was one badass Pac-Man player too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not being able to interact with the opposite gender appropriately in a work environment is a leadership failure issue, not a fundamental condition that needs to be managed around. Yeah all right, the top 10% of programmers are disproportionately guys, but the other 90% are disproportionately guys, too, and they're still idiots just as much as the girls. It's like all those WoW guilds that were like NO CHICKS ALLOWED, just stupid.

nazon

Molten Core Raider
Brahma Brahma happy to hear that worked out. There's nothing worse than an incompetent higher up. I am in a similar position working in tech with some undesirables. This story makes me feelgood.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Ummm. This is going to be weird. I now have zero management outside of my CIO. I asked about my daily work load and projects, and he told me to put anything pending or what I personally deemed important in front of him by next Tuesday. Ok...cool. Problem is he will have zero idea what I am presenting. Which means I need to talk this down. There is the possibility he thinks I will be insulting him.

He also asked me to make sure the billing analyst is OK with all that happened for some reason.

The team that is left (There are now only 4 of us)...consist of 3 analysts. Two which I deem incompetent. And 1 engineer, myself. Tech work will be handled by an outsourcing firm. The three others that stayed have no idea what to do. They received their workload from the manager. No one has ever reported to me, though I was obviously the go to guy for the team. They are calling me like crazy tonight. Like I have answers.

CIO told me to take tomorrow and Monday off.

Rough day...but I made the cut pretty easily I was told.

tenor.gif

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Vinen

God is dead
Ummm. This is going to be weird. I now have zero management outside of my CIO. I asked about my daily work load and projects, and he told me to put anything pending or what I personally deemed important in front of him by next Tuesday. Ok...cool. Problem is he will have zero idea what I am presenting. Which means I need to talk this down. There is the possibility he thinks I will be insulting him.

He also asked me to make sure the billing analyst is OK with all that happened for some reason.

The team that is left (There are now only 4 of us)...consist of 3 analysts. Two which I deem incompetent. And 1 engineer, myself. Tech work will be handled by an outsourcing firm. The three others that stayed have no idea what to do. They received their workload from the manager. No one has ever reported to me, though I was obviously the go to guy for the team. They are calling me like crazy tonight. Like I have answers.

CIO told me to take tomorrow and Monday off.

Rough day...but I made the cut pretty easily I was told.

View attachment 161737

I'd drink myself into a coma now.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I think in this particular situation, we are talking about Shaft...
"Who's the cat that won't cop out
When there's danger all about
(Shaft)
Right on
You see this cat, Shaft is a bad mother
(Shut your mouth)
But I'm talking about Shaft
(Then we can dig it)"

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
All my techs are gone minus the ones with government clearance. I'm still here keeping my head low and looking busy!
Wtf so they die the cunt but also everyone that resisted her or otherwise in any way involved....

Always hate that vindictive top down number everything out of spite for having to be bothered by top brass.

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Oh and depending on the specifics, might legit be a chance to take on a lot of work, show leadership, organized the plebs breast you can and actually springboard into I'mthebossnow.meme.

• 2Like

SuperNaught

Trakanon Raider
Brahma Brahma Good that you survived this ridiculous mess. For me personally, going through similar manager issues, It's good to see someone else survive them.

More updates!

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Wtf so they die the cunt but also everyone that resisted her or otherwise in any way involved....

Always hate that vindictive top down number everything out of spite for having to be bothered by top brass.

I don't think its spite in this instance, Bobs are gonna Bob.

She called in the Bobs. C.Y.A. in case there was a shred of validity to her version. I'm sure someone else corroborated something that she said, hence the carpet bombing of the whole division.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Things have settled down here...

Out of 11 staff they kept four. One Avaya engineer and one Cisco engineer. Two analysts were also kept on board. All management below the CIO was let go. I temporarily am reporting to the CIO legally. They have two consultants that I "take suggestions" from. I just handle escalations from them and do whatever I want now.

Here's the issue. Two of those that stayed (both women) were clearly my old VP's favorites, but absolutely horrid technically. They are pretty much bad project managers. So the CIO went with the flawed list of who to keep, which means myself and the other engineer are fucked.

They brought in 8 techs around the country. Few days in I have no clue where they sit or their names. It's a mess.

Good news was that I can work from home when I feel like it. Also whoever is on call can work from home for the week. Not bad.

Will keep posted.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Wonder if they feel like it was worth it to basically burn the place down for a single moron.

• 1Like