I do not believe in equality

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Maybe those schools were made shitty because of the loser single-parent households (generally female) raising loser children?
And why are those parents losers? And why were their parents losers? Trace it back to the beginning, what caused it?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So when you hear a parent talking about moving to a better school district, or using that as part of their next home purchase plan, you tell them they're just wasting time and money?

You'd send your kids to a school in an inner city because there's just as much opportunity and the education and facilities will all be the same regardless?
The schools are about equal, yeah the facilities are older, maybe run down, maybe a few more kids in the classrooms. Maybe even more jaded teachers because of the youth they have to teach. But thats not the core of the issue. I would not want my kids there because of the environment turning them into something I dont want them turned into. Its not the schools themselves that churn out the uneducated, its their communities.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
So you agree the education and opportunities for those children are unequal?
Oh I didn't think your avatar was you. I do get you and Brahma mixed up sometimes. Similar conversation styles. As far as your post, I believe opportunities are equal. Your version of unequal is wrong. Based in flawed philosophy.
As far as the education itself no they are not equal. Because cream rises to the top. Schools with better baseline intelligence from similar family environments will pull themselves up. They will feed each other and become better, smarter. That is why nice neighborhoods outperform ghettos.

Khane

Oh I didn't think your avatar was you. I do get you and Brahma mixed up sometimes. Similar conversation styles. As far as your post, I believe opportunities are equal. Your version of unequal is wrong. Based in flawed philosophy.
As far as the education itself no they are not equal. Because cream rises to the top. Schools with better baseline intelligence from similar family environments will pull themselves up. They will feed each other and become better, smarter. That is why nice neighborhoods outperform ghettos.
And how did it get that way in the first place?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
And why are those parents losers? And why were their parents losers? Trace it back to the beginning, what caused it?
Honestly I think this is the wrong question to ask mostly because it's so charged. You can't have honest conversations about this stuff because everyone is so buttmad about everything always. And dug in to whatever nonsense they happen to believe.

Better to just observe the problem as it is and work on ways out of it. Is there anyone who doesn't think we'd all be better off if Compton High was graduating capable people who were well integrated into society and competitive at the highest levels of academia?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I already linked it:Thomas Sowell - A Downward Trajectory - YouTube

Complete removal of personal responsibility.

The parents are losers because they opened their legs for loser fathers and didn't abort or remarry.
Uh, did you even watch the first part of that video? Where he EXPLICITLY said that he had to put his daughter in private school just to get the same level of education that used to be available publicly in Harlem?

Public schools have gone to absolute shit, and I'm in that small pile on the left that says the teacher's unions have definitely had a hand in it.

Khane

Is there anyone who doesn't think we'd all be better off if Compton High was graduating capable people who were well integrated into society and competitive at the highest levels of academia?
Yes, lots of people. Because they think the issue lies directly within skin color.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Personally I think there is a lot we can do about it, so much in fact that it kind of leads to paralysis. Ask every amateur expert here on these boards and they'll tell you: the problem isn't the schools, it's the culture! How do you change the culture to value education, hold schools accountable for more than just ensuring their kids didn't die that day? How do you change families in these areas to value education and work? How do you make the work available in these areas attractive enough that the families will value it? The options are endless. And nobody fucking knows.
None of that is stuff we can really do though.

How do you change the culture to value education?
How do you hold schools accountable? I mean, you can't close down every single school and ship them to the better schools, then those schools get worse.
You have to fix the school before you can make it attractive enough to attract good teachers. Chicken and egg.

Maybe what you are saying is that there are all kinds of things you could do, just none of them are practical?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The schools are about equal, yeah the facilities are older, maybe run down, maybe a few more kids in the classrooms. Maybe even more jaded teachers because of the youth they have to teach. But thats not the core of the issue. I would not want my kids there because of the environment turning them into something I dont want them turned into. Its not the schools themselves that churn out the uneducated, its their communities.
So you're talking about the building then, right? Not the institution? What the fuck are you talking about? Of course the schools aren't the same. I'd live in a fucking cardboard box if I had to in order to avoid my kids having to go to Michael Brown High. You're being super dishonest.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
So when you hear a parent talking about moving to a better school district, or using that as part of their next home purchase plan, you tell them they're just wasting time and money?

You'd send your kids to a school in an inner city because there's just as much opportunity and the education and facilities will all be the same regardless?
As a parent who moved to get into a good school district, absolutely the difference is the kids in the classroom, not the teachers themselves or the facilities or whatever.

This is readily obvious where I live because HPISD is contrasted to Dallas ISD which is often times only a few streets away.

HPISD actually pays teachers less than DISD. HPISD's schools are ~100 years old. They're obviously well maintained but we haven't built any new schools since 1948 when one of the elementary schools burned down. We have a slightly better student/teacher ratio because we have a charity that everyone gives money to that hires teachers for us to supplement what we get from the state. But in general, the "facilities, lesson plans, and teachers" are similar to DISD schools across the highway.

But thats where the similarities come to a screeching halt. The kids in DISD are typically apartment kids (the "wealthy" kids mostly go to private or parochial schools) who are unprepared, their parents don't push them at all (if they even have parents) or they don't speak english, or they actively sabotage the school's attempts to educate. As a result, the teachers are very limited in what they can do, and the opportunities they can give these children. When the kids fear for their safety they aren't in a good environment for learning.

But is it a case of "DISD sucks" or is it a case of "the people in DISD suck" ?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
And how were they supposed to know how to do that without proper education and upbringing?
I dont know bro, you tell me. I grew up in inner city Detroit, Fucking Junction and Michigan Avenue, for the better part of my life and yet here I am. My father grew up in Detroit for most of his life and yet here he is and were both educated.

Maybe were just destined to have a certain portion of our society be fucking losers? And there is really nothing we can do about it?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
None of that is stuff we can really do though.

How do you change the culture to value education?
Well, first you'd have to offer a product that's worthy of being valued.

Part of it is a chicken/egg problem in that they don't value the education because they know they're not getting an education of value.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
And how were they supposed to know how to do that without proper education and upbringing?
I already said this. All the information is already available on their iphone! FreeDomainRadio has dozens of podcasts about the horrors of single-parenting. If you're going to bring a child into the world, you better be damn sure you're informed on the dos-and-donts.