I Quit My Job

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm still getting my bearings because I don't have the Rocky Mountains to remind me where I am at all times, but we're around Blue Diamond and Fort Apache I think. Is that southwest?

Yeah, Mountain's Edge. In general it's a nice area, but the city council put some section 8 housing out thinking they wouldn't committ crime if they were just given a chance in a nice neighborhood or something.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

nazon

Molten Core Raider
Kudos to all the quitters. I've done it before. I'd like to do it now but since I am the family breadwinner, I am locked in. Getting laid off would be scary and relieving at the same time. Every time I quit I have found something better so that's always positive. If I had to quit, I would probably just do a shitty job to get the severance pay. Best of luck to all of you!

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Let me add a rustled jimmies to this thread, since this makes me want to quit my job.

The lady who basically assigns me work and signs off on on all things I do is a bully and an idiot. I could list a few dozen things but here's the latest:

I'm asked to do X. I do it. Perfect
Lady asks if Z is done
No, Z is not done
OMG WHY WASNT Z DONE!?
I was never asked to do Z
Z is very important!
Do you want me to do Z?
Yes. You need to do Z.

She'll get mad that something she never asked for nor was within the scope of the original request. She'll interrogate me with nonstop back and forth emails where I have to dig up meeting minutes and old emails to play the cover-my-ass game (I never delete her emails). She looks for someone to throw under the bus before she can just ask for something. It's fucking toxic.

She also doesn't remember shit. She'll forget what she asked for in a previous weeks meeting, or contradict the original request. I do use this to my advantage ever now and then. I gaslight the fuck outta her sometimes.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I wouldn't be able to gaslight her if she tracked her fucking deadlines.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Adebisi Adebisi keep changing jobs until you work for the right person. I've been working with the same few people across three different companies now dating back to 2001. We built a company, sold it (acquisition), served our time there - retention bonuses and non-competes, and are now building a company in the same space from scratch, learning from our past experiences. It's like a startup, but without all the VC nonsense and tech bros.

Find people you work well with and hold on to 'em. You obviously don't work well with this woman, so fuck it - move on.

• 2Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
As the forum realist and also Debbie downer can I be the first person to say this is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard of

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You are also really risk averse and seem play almost things in your life safe. I don't think it's a terrible idea if you have the skills and financial backing. These are the leaps you have to take to do the things you love in life.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Sure, but how is it that risky to find new job when your current one isn't working out? Nija did not say to quit ASAP.

That said, I'm somewhat disbelieving that you can find a job where you work well with everyone. I'm on my 5th major job and there's been an asshole at each job.

Maybe I'm the asshole. :(

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Selling your body isn't so tough. It's a bit awkward the first couple times but it's easy money once that goes away!
source.gif

• 3Worf

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I wish I could grow a beard like that. I was cursed with shitty facial hair. Thanks, genetics.

What kind of stakes have you been playing and what are you moving up to, Sebudai?

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Noodleface Noodleface is what I wrote the dumbest thing you have ever read, or is it the topic of this thread - quitting your job to go play poker?

It could be either, that's why I ask.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Adebisi Adebisi zombiewizardhawk zombiewizardhawk

My laptop cord shorted out and started shooting sparks and smoke so I’m on mobile for a couple days. I’ve been playing super low stakes online (1c/2c and 5c/10c mostly) since we decided to go with Omaha instead of Hold ‘Em and I have a bit to learn still to get caught up to speed. All my previous experience is in Hold ‘Em. I’m making what I think is okay progress, but I gotta do better.

I just play sessions at the moment and then my buddy and I go over the footage hand by hand so I can learn what I’m fucking up. So basically I’m studying and breaking even and hopefully will be switching to $1/2 live full-time in a few days, which should be easier than even far lower stakes of online play if I’m not a dipshit. Certainly pays more than my previous job.

Medium term goal is to move up to $5/10. Long term goal is to play highest stakes, which is where my friends are at now.

I also left most my shit in Utah since I had 4 months on my lease when this all went down, so I am also balancing in moving/selling shit while I try to get better.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
As the forum realist and also Debbie downer can I be the first person to say this is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard of

I love the realist take but it is really something I have considered. I was looking at no promotion for a long while because it is based solely on seniority, and not a great wage, and my job was being actively deleted by computers more so than any other job I have heard of.

But I agree with the sentiment, which is why I started to apply for similar jobs in NV that I can do while I also try to make poker work. I don’t give a fuck, I’ll work all day. I don’t have kids yet.