I Quit My Job

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
To give a little more background, I had been working for USPS (computers, not delivering). The hours had become very inconsistent and promotion to a higher GS level was getting further away rather than closer due to recent software improvements (computers takin' my job). Since promotion to a higher GS level was the main reason I had even been keeping the job, I resigned. Then I packed up a few things and headed down. Planning to move the rest of my shit over the next few months.

I'm currently staying with a very good friend of mine who is also staking me at no charge until I get up and running, so that mitigates a lot of the risk for me. He's starting me off playing PLO. My friends have been extremely successful for over a decade (when I last played) and they don't do the degenerate gambling thing. They've been trying to get me to move down and play again for a long time.

You should team up with @Lumi and zombiewizardhawk zombiewizardhawk and get a house together

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Back in 2012 I quit my nice cushy low-six-figure aerospace/defense job and just up and moved to Boston. I had a buddy here who had just bought a nice condo and wanted a roommate, and RomneyCare was a suitable support net once COBRA ran out.

While it's not for everyone by any means, slamming hard on the reset switch changed the whole trajectory of my life. I'm working in what amounts to a completely different career, made a whole new set of friends and even met 'The One'.

In many ways it feels like I got an additional ride on the Merry-Go-Round of life. Some days I wonder what the other life would have been had I let it continue, but given the health-scare that I survived largely through access to resources I wouldn't have had in my previous existence there's a good chance I wouldn't be around had I not made the change...

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
To give a little more background, I had been working for USPS (computers, not delivering). The hours had become very inconsistent and promotion to a higher GS level was getting further away rather than closer due to recent software improvements (computers takin' my job). Since promotion to a higher GS level was the main reason I had even been keeping the job, I resigned. Then I packed up a few things and headed down. Planning to move the rest of my shit over the next few months.

I'm currently staying with a very good friend of mine who is also staking me at no charge until I get up and running, so that mitigates a lot of the risk for me. He's starting me off playing PLO. My friends have been extremely successful for over a decade (when I last played) and they don't do the degenerate gambling thing. They've been trying to get me to move down and play again for a long time.
Brew. You were a GS. Easiest wya to jump up is move to a different org...not get promoted

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Brew. You were a GS. Easiest wya to jump up is move to a different org...not get promoted

Yeah that's a good point. However at this point in my government "career" I was mainly looking to find something decent with student loan forgiveness. Poker is probably going to be much faster than that.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Aint that the truth. My Section Chief at ICE straight left OPR Physec for a regional promotion with and is now a SES 4 years later.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are you going all-in on this right from the start, or do you have a backup plan in case you can't make back your initial stake?

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor

There can be a lot of big swings playing PLO. That game would always get me so tilted. Good luck man.

• 1Solidarity

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
How are the benefits for poker player? Is there a big co-pay if you need to see a doctor?

I'll just be signing up on the exchange again at the end of this month when my insurance through the union runs out, so I'm not sure how raped I'm going to get. I missed roughly 80% of my work hours last year due to major health problems so I'll probably get a good subsidy for a while at least.

Are you going all-in on this right from the start, or do you have a backup plan in case you can't make back your initial stake?

My good friend is staking me free of charge, so there is essentially no risk other than I can't be a piece of shit and I need to work hard and not take advantage of him. He is certain I will quickly begin to make significantly more than I was at my previous job even at the lower stakes. This is a friend I've been gaming with competitively for over 20 years, so hopefully I prove him right. He was basically co-leader of Juggernaut for a huge chunk of our heyday (Muroka, for anyone who played with us).

My backup plan would be to get back into government work, or super worst case scenario I could *vomit* ... go back to school. I've got a great support network of family and friends, so I don't think I'll ever end up selling my body or robbing liquor stores.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Selling your body isn't so tough. It's a bit awkward the first couple times but it's easy money once that goes away!

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I wonder about online poker going forward.

Poker Is Harder for AI to Master Than Chess. AI has Now Learned to Bluff and Beat Humans.

A recent twenty-day competition between poker champions (heads-up no-limit Texas hold'em, 120,000 total hands) and Libratus, an AI program created by Carnegie Mellow University professors Tuomas Sandholm and Noam Brown, had the AI coming out on top. This is particularly surprising because unlike games like chess and Go, where the information is upfront and know ("Perfect Information Games"), poker involves a great deal of hidden information ("Imperfect Information Games") and the seemingly-human characteristic of bluffing. It turns out that AI can learn the art of bluffing.

In other words, Libratus learned the subtle flaws in the poker champions' play and began capitalizing on it. While the humans-versus-Libratus event was billed as Brains Versus Artificial Intelligence, it may be better to think it as Human Brains versus AI Brains.

• 1Like

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Few nights ago SWAT raided a house just down the block with the full works. Helicopter with the skylight, cops everywhere, etc. My friend and I were drinking and in the backyard when suddenly boom boom double flashbangs. Fortunately the little 5 foot walls around each house in our area saved us from the full brunt of the flashbangs, but they were still loud and bright as fuck. After we got back inside we heard the megaphone, a chainsaw cutting through something (a door?), and then dogs, so we assume somebody had a very bad night/weekend.

This didn't happen in SLC. This is a pretty nice neighborhood too.

I start live play at higher stakes this weekend though.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Few nights ago SWAT raided a house just down the block with the full works. Helicopter with the skylight, cops everywhere, etc. My friend and I were drinking and in the backyard when suddenly boom boom double flashbangs. Fortunately the little 5 foot walls around each house in our area saved us from the full brunt of the flashbangs, but they were still loud and bright as fuck. After we got back inside we heard the megaphone, a chainsaw cutting through something (a door?), and then dogs, so we assume somebody had a very bad night/weekend.

This didn't happen in SLC. This is a pretty nice neighborhood too.

I start live play at higher stakes this weekend though.

What side of town?

• 1Like

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
What side of town?

I'm still getting my bearings because I don't have the Rocky Mountains to remind me where I am at all times, but we're around Blue Diamond and Fort Apache I think. Is that southwest?

• 1Like