I Quit My Job

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
A decade ago my brother did the professional online poker thing. He had multiple games running at once and all high stakes. He said smaller games weren't worth it.
However, a decade ago was before self help books and cleaned out scrubs.
I don't how much he made, but it was enough that he feared drawing the attention of the irs.
Eventually he was endorsed or whatever by Poker Stars and went to Vegas a few times free ride. Sat at tables with names I was supposed to care about. When he made kids, he was pressured to get a real job. He compared himself to an entertainer or athlete, but it didn't work.
Ironically, he went from Ed Norton in Rounders to Ed Norton in Fight Club (before Pitt comes in). Crunching numbers for insurance company (s)

Last edited:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I hope you make it far enough that Phil Hellmuth has the opportunity to rage at you.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
What do you do when an interviewer asks you the "what do you like about our company?" question?

Twist: it's an insurance company.

"I ... I've always ... loved insurance?"

Rais

Trakanon Raider
What do you do when an interviewer asks you the "what do you like about our company?" question?

It's all about customer service. How much you love dealing with people and the massive effect that the insurance company has on peoples lives. Or so I'm guessing since I was just offered a position at a large insurance firm yesterday.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah that question can be lame sometimes. I'm in the middle of final rounds at two different places and one of them is a security/authentication API product. No one gets amped about that. But I'm in the final round with them so I guess I worked through the question well enough.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

You tell them how you like the way they hire mad hot pussy to be their receptionists.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The receptionist at my current job is ridiculously hot.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Everywhere I've been interviewing has had really attractive receptionists and HR directors. Fucking SF startups.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
As someone at an SF company that should have stopped being a start up, our receptionist is a 40+ year old lady who brings in home baked goods (she acts like a mom). And our HR department is... women who aren't attractive.

The marketing chicks though, jfc so hot.

SeanDoe1z1

I have been getting more and more calls to my office phone from coworkers asking for things. First year was relatively quiet.

Time to jump ship.

• 1Solidarity

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have been getting more and more calls to my office phone from coworkers asking for things. First year was relatively quiet.

Time to jump ship.
Aint that the truth. That or time to start fucking up so people don't think you are competent at your job.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That makes no sense to me. Guess I have too much self respect for that. Intentionally perform poorly so people think you aren't good at what you do? Why?

• 1Like

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
That makes no sense to me. Guess I have too much self respect for that. Intentionally perform poorly so people think you aren't good at what you do? Why?

I've worked various government jobs and the status quo is get through your probation and then coast doing the bare minimum because its nigh impossible to get rid of you. So (generally speaking) you get people that are just showing up and getting paid and doing the minimum amount of required work. In my experience, when your supervisor realizes that you know what you are doing and aren't a screw up, they tend to give you more work because they know it will get done vs having another employee try to accomplish it, screwing up, and saying oh well.

I'd say this is more for government work instead of private. I do it to myself really. I'm busting ass while getting paid the same as the dipshit next to me who is doing maybe half the work but, like you, I have too much self respect just to slack off so badly.

• 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's very hard to keep working hard when people around you are goofing off and getting the same pay and recognition that you are. It only took me like 3 years before I was spending like 75% of my time cruising message boards and fine tuning my wishlist Magelo profiles. The first year I started goofing off a lot was also the first and only year I got an "outstanding contributor" rating at performance review time which was the final nail in the coffin of my motivation.

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah I can see that for government work. I worked for the Ohio Department of Transportation for a summer and I found that out quickly.

3D8WEGF.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's very hard to keep working hard when people around you are goofing off and getting the same pay and recognition that you are. It only took me like 3 years before I was spending like 75% of my time cruising message boards and fine tuning my wishlist Magelo profiles. The first year I started goofing off a lot was also the first and only year I got an "outstanding contributor" rating at performance review time which was the final nail in the coffin of my motivation.
Ah magelo... that brings back memories.

Except I was doing that shit in grammar/high school, not at a job. Printed out the entire mage epic and read it during class in 7th grade to make sure I could complete it all.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Were you lusting over Nazlug, Zubazz, Ghark & Maxiuas?

Hell, even Lambart was well equipped.

• 1Worf