"I'm a fucking idiot, what do I do now?", he said to his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yep, unless a cop, in uniform, meets you there don't do it. There's absolutely no reason he should be concerned about whether or not you have the car and whether or not it's in tact. That's fucking retarded that he would even say that unless he's planning some shady shit. I would make sure they know I've talked to the police and am working with an attorney to settle the matter whether they cooperate or not (of course, pointing out the video footage and written statements of the titlemax employees).

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, my brother in law said the same thing. He's not going to go because if he gets in a fight outside of work he is fired, and I shouldn't go because there is no reason to. He said, overnight the plates to the title place if they will agree to do the trade, but no reason to go at all. I just want this shit over >_<

And yeah, asking for a police officer in vegas to meet there will get me laughed off the phone according to friends in vegas, the PD there are way to busy to deal with stupid shit like that.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Well listen to him and tell the guy you're done playing and you're going to see him in court. Don't say "if" just say you're goin got do it, get a lawyer and be done with it.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Also, why would someone have temporary plates if they're not going to be sent new plates? How would that make any sense?

Aren't they at least 90 days anyway? Why the fuck wouldn't they just have put their plates on the new car before selling you the old one (because there's no way they'd be close to expired if they bought the new car after selling the old one)?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Use your remaining $1,700 and hire a hit man imo.

I think you'd win if it went to civil court but I don't know why you wouldn't have had a bill of sale wrote on site when you got the car. Without a title the police will in fact probably charge you if they come looking for you.

I dunno man, there are much more educated arm chair lawyers on here then me when it comes to these things.
If the NSA wasn't monitoring this thread I might know somebody who is a problem solver and that $1700 + costs of travel would cover his charges...

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I might want a pm of that one way or another. Ohh, and don't think I don't fully intend on releasing all of their information the second I have a resolution. Get creative.

Man, people. Fuck them.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've taken to some street justice by releasing personal info on Reddit against some guy that beat a gay friends ass because he was gay while the owners of a club laughed at him. Reddit can take care of some serious shit if you post in the Las Vegas or Nevada sub reddit.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
I still think the simplistic explanation is probably the correct one. I don't see how a scam with the details we have would work. I think one of their parents or friends gave them the car of they took over the payments. Wantin to go gamble it away or get some coke or something, they sold you the car and payed off the lien. Anyone can payoff a loan. The title company, once the loan was payed, took te lien off the title. They had no responsibility regarding the sale of the vehicle or transfer of title. I mean, since you have not seen the actual title, this seems to all fit. You could try calling the title max and seeing if theyll tell you exactly the names on the title, though I'm guessing they can't.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So are you enjoying your new car at least?
smile.png

iannis

Musty Nester
As far as I understand it, the scam was such:

Put leveraged car up for sale. Find buyer. Have buyer pay off lien on car. Keep title. Report car stolen.

Report car stolen is really tripping them up. It sounds like bouncer boyfriend doesn't wanna get the law involved, he just wants to beat the car out of you.

Keep the tags. Get the law involved. I have a feeling that TitleMax bearssomeresponsibility in their oversight of the transaction.

iannis

Musty Nester
Do you even grift, bro?

It's a really simple grift. And a really stupid one. If they're pulling this crap my guess is that one of them has been caught doing it before.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
The guy does refer to me as "Bro" every time we have talked. TitleMax has the title, it has her name on it.

My thought was that they had put the car up for lien to get money. They realized they couldn't pay to get it out so they sold it to me, getting it out and making another $1,700 (on top of the 6k the Lien place gave them). Then they report it stolen and either the car is found and they get it back free and clear, or their insurance pays them the value of the car. Thats all I can figure.

And no, I put the car in a friends garage right away two weeks ago, because I was nervous that it was some kind of scam, and that I might wake up with it just "gone" one morning, assuming they have a copy of the keys.

Either way, made an appointment to see a lawyer Monday afternoon.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
The only thing that doesn't make sense to me on the grift aspect is why throw a hissy fit over getting the plates? Is that just their excuse for holding up the process? What if he just would have sent the plates off, then what would they do other than get the law involved? If it is a grift they are terrible at it...

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I have no idea how to handle this except to say it might be a good idea to get yourself a gun if they know your address. I would.

Don't want to be a sitting duck if this escalates and the police refuse to get involved.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
I have no idea how to handle this except to say it might be a good idea to get yourself a gun if they know your address. I would.

Don't want to be a sitting duck if this escalates and the police refuse to get involved.
Guns are never the answer! You are such a racist!

iannis

Musty Nester
The only thing that doesn't make sense to me on the grift aspect is why throw a hissy fit over getting the plates? Is that just their excuse for holding up the process? What if he just would have sent the plates off, then what would they do other than get the law involved? If it is a grift they are terrible at it...
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation. It's likely.

If they get the plates they don't have to do anything except for take the car back. What they have right now is title + payment. What they have then is payment, title, plates. With the plates theycango ahead and report it stolen and have a towtruck go get it back for them if they want to be fancy -- or they can go and just take it back with a spare key themselves.

As a grift it's seriously retarded. What they seem to expect is that as soon as girlfriend freaks out and yells, "No you send me the plates or i'll say you stole it" that.... people will send the plates, and chalk up 8 grand as a "that bitch be crazy"? And if that doesn't work, then we rely on meathead boyfriend and more direct physical intimidation. If they were going to report this car stolen they would have already done it.

I'm not saying they're remarkably competent individuals. As soon as a cop who sorta-kinda gives a fuck actually looks at this it'll fall apart on them.

However, with enough booze and marijuana this plan would make sense.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if this is a scam, these people def are not pros. already have phone records from the scammers and you have the car and plates. seriously dude just call your local TV stations and see if they will run with this story because it will air and you will get some kind of satisfaction after everything is said and done. at least stop them from doing this shit to somebody else.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I feel like there's more to the story or they screwed up on of the steps. How long was it in your driveway after you purchased it? If you stored it somewhere they couldn't get to and they went to steal it back and couldn't find it that could be the start of their fuckup. Storing it at a friend's garage was a good idea.

I look forward to the updates but I get a feeling you'll clam up when you start talking to your lawyer!

Status
Not open for further replies.