Interesting, Non Political News

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
6.6 earthquake in CA today. No real news as of yet.

11 miles from Ridgecrest, CA · 1:33 PM

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That was my first quake in 7 years of living in CA. And we were uncomfortably close to it.

Oddly, only had a broken picture frame. And no power.

Getting lots of aftershocks every couple minutes too.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Aftershocks are getting super fucking old. It's also getting really hot.

Feel like this will be a shitty weekend.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fuuuuuuck. That was a big one.

We're going to sleep in our van tonight.

Still, oddly, not much damage. More shit fell off walls and whatnot.

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>

Holy fuck, first I am sorry you are going through aftershocks and second that I am a bastard... because at first I had no idea what you were talking about and thought maybe this was some kind of fart joke.

Aftershocks are freaky, I have only experienced two minor tremors in my life and everything in your body, for a second or two, screams “HOLY FUCK THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN WHAT THE FLAMING CRIMSON SHIT” amd then you take a minor stumble and laugh. It’s a lot when you take a phantom step on the stairs at night except weirder.

• 1Like

Serpens

<Silver Donator>

This was a 7.1, definitely felt worse than the first one and I'm 175 miles away from the epicenter.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've tried to maintain some anonymity around here, but we're in Ridgecrest. Probably 13-15 miles from the fault.

Have had hundreds of aftershocks you could feel in the last 36 hours.

At 4am we had a 5.4.

And now with this one it's just like...is this just another foreshock to something bigger?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

SeanDoe1z1

earthquakes are weird AF. I imagine tsunamis only rival it in terms of wtf is going on. I had a 5 something near epi wake me up cpl years ago woke me up out of sleep to swoop up young kids (ceiling fans and shit right over bed areas, idk just instinctual things you do).

Weird brain to earth perception vs reality going on there. Like monkey brain shit sends signals out way before you realize yeah shits going down.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I am guessing missionary would only be on your birthday.

• 3WTF
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Obviously. The warmer weather has awoken Godzilla and hes stretching and causing plates to smash into each other.
giphy (2).gif

earthq_1.gif

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

Former chiropractor ordered to pay $100K related to anti-vaccine posts

A former Halifax-based chiropractor has been ordered to pay her regulator $100,000 as part of a settlement agreement on charges of professional misconduct related to her sharing anti-vaccination views online.

"Dr. Churchill's conduct brought the profession of chiropractic into disrepute," the hearing committee writes in its decision.
kek

• 1WTF

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
How are things today?
"Quiet"

But that's just in comparison. Probably every 30 minutes we get a decent sized rumble. We're really just kind of over it.

Been getting the van ready (posted originally in the Grape Vanning thread), which I never thought we'd need as a "go bag" because there are no natural disasters here. But we've got like 20 gallons of potable water, 100W of solar (and a 100AH lithium battery). Full tank of gas. We're loading up clothes and food just in case.

We're sleeping in it, because fuck being in the house. It was hot as shit though. We've got power, so I've got an extension cord running to it and I think we'll run a little AC unit assuming we don't lose power in the next 6+ quake.

It's weird, because part of me just wants to say fuck it and drive east. But we have a house and I don't just want to turn off the water/gas and hope the house survives. If not for health insurance, I'd be tempted to just leave altogether and never come back (mentioned several times in Politics that we're close to early retirement).

Also, it's interesting because I see a lot of people speculating, but shit isn't that bad. Have internet, water system is fine, I think most people have power at this point. Grocery store was open after the 6.4 quake. The only road that's closed is the one going out to Trona, which is a piece of shit town anyway (it's near where Manson holed up). It's 2019, so it's not like we're cut off from the world.

Edit: Oh, and funny enough, I've posted a few times in Politics about being done with California because of their shitty policies. Talking with coworkers and I'm pretty sure house prices are going to tank in the coming months. So...that fucking sucks. Guess I should've gotten out earlier.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users