Interesting, Non Political News

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Going south around Africa adds more than 20 days to the trip, but since they expect it to take more than 20 days to fix people will accept it for the near future.

I heard they had 2 canal pilots on board for the traversal when things literally went sideways, so you can't even blame the crew and captain.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Yeah I read someplace that this was probably pilot error rather than wind.

There's no way this boats moving without being unloaded, if you look at this video at 10 seconds in you can see how aground the ship is. You can walk up to the bow of this ship and it's stuck fast in sand. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chip in but from where I'm sitting this thing looks totally fucked.

If it was in the US or Europe or something maybe they could sort it, but this is Egypt so they'll probably resort to using shovels at some point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
9-EUe3-Q8-V-1.gif

• 9Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 11 users

Borzak

Got a job offer not long ago at a pretty new Chinese refinery in Brunei that was having problems. Mostly muslim country, what could go wrong? Besides the normal stuff that goes wrong on an hourly basis at a refinery.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gask

Last Thursday, husband and wife Jake and Jessica Woodruff were celebrating Jessica's 45th birthday with a road trip along the coast. They set out from Yreka, California, headed to Oregon. As they drove through the redwood-lined Highway 199 in a 2016 Honda Accord on Thursday, one of the enormous trees fell on top of their car, crushing them.

"This is a very forested area," officer and California Highway Patrol spokesperson Brandy Gonzalez said, according to SF Gate. "We have trees everywhere. It's in the middle of the redwoods. It’s just old growth and we have no idea why the tree fell. It was Mother Nature. The timing of everything was very, very unusual. I’ve been on the department for 19 years and I’ve been in this area 12 to 13 years and it’s very unusual. We've had trees fall down and cars make contact, but this kind of incident is very unusual."

The couple leaves behind five children -- Megan, Evan, Casey, Allie and Chelsea -- according to a GoFundMe page set up for them.
1.jpg

• 4Rustled
  • 2WTF
Reactions: 5 users

spronk

FPS noob

Story about what may have really happened to Henry Avery, who was one of the first and most successful pirates. His story is referenced heavily in Uncharted 4.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob

muons aren't behaving the way the standard model predicts, suggests that a 5th force exists we don't really know much about

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
So how long before they're hacked by China for that technology, assuming they haven't already?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

muons aren't behaving the way the standard model predicts, suggests that a 5th force exists we don't really know much about

Going to be interesting which turns out correct and potentially 20 years wasted, doh

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, this Fermilab Muon G-2 thing is legit exciting. The Higgs Boson thing was big and that was a predicted particle that fits the standard model. This could require some rework which is always a pretty big deal.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, this Fermilab Muon G-2 thing is legit exciting. The Higgs Boson thing was big and that was a predicted particle that fits the standard model. This could require some rework which is always a pretty big deal.
It was cool we proved some theories and all, I just wish we would have seen some useful practical applications from those discoveries. It’s like oh fucking neat...but so what? Even something simple like better batteries, faster CPUs, kickass new Microwaves, weapons...something cool. If they did do something with the discovery I haven’t read about it.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
It was cool we proved some theories and all, I just wish we would have seen some useful practical applications from those discoveries. It’s like oh fucking neat...but so what? Even something simple like better batteries, faster CPUs, kickass new Microwaves, weapons...something cool. If they did do something with the discovery I haven’t read about it.
That stuff all takes time. Discovering the electron and modern electronics wasn't exactly a simultaneous.