Interstellar (2014)

Oldbased

> Than U
Even it wasn't all that bad. We sure as fuck seen worse lately from Hollywood.

That said will see this regardless of reviews, ratings or dicks cause Sci Fi.

khorum

Murder Apologist
It made the Time Cover. Review is OK but there's acouple articles about it in the issue.

timeinterstellarcover.jpg

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Just got back from seeing it at the IMAX. Visually stunning, of course. And IMAX sound is something I always forget until I experience it again. My chair was rumbling like I was really in the rocket. And McConaughey was tremendous as always.

I really, really want to say it was an awesome movie. And there were plenty of good (if not great) things about it. But a few things kind of bothered me, and I'm not really sure how much it lowers my overall opinion. It might take me some time to reflect to figure out how I feel. Some issues I have are sort of nitpicky, others are a bit bigger. I'm going to be fairly vague so that I'm not ruining too much, but I'm also going to put it behind spoilers for obvious reasons. Oh, and non-spoiler issue, there were several points of dialogue where I had absolutely no fucking clue what was being said because they were mumbling and/or there was music or sound effects blaring over it. Particularly one stretch by Michael Caine. Fortunately they rehashed it a couple minutes later so you knew what was said, but at the time I was wishing I had a DVR so I could go back.

Time to finding out about the program to leaving his entire family behind was a matter of minutes on-screen. For such a pivotal moment, I felt it needed something more, for multiple reasons.

Anne Hathaway talking about love literally seemed to come out of nowhere, and suddenly became a major theme. It seemed ham-fisted to me.

Bill and Ted. That's all I'm going to say, but once you see it you'll understand.

A couple of things I thought were well done were the scene where they are telling MD not to open the airlock. The entire theater jumped out of their fucking seats (IMAX sound helped I'm sure). Also, when they came back from the planet with all the water and they found out how much time had passed, another "woah" moment.

It is definitely worth seeing, and it didn't feel like it was almost 3 hours long. I enjoyed it, and I'm glad that I saw it. But I guess what it really boils down to is that I am unlikely to make an effort to watch it again anytime soon, unlike my top three movies of this year, Guardians of the Galaxy, Edge of Tomorrow, and Winter Soldier. I'd watch all of those multiple times before I ever thought about watching this one again. Don't get me wrong, it isn't like I refuse to watch it or anything, it is more of, "Why?" Other than the absolutely stupendous visuals, there is very little reason to see it again. In my opinion.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah Momento, Insomnia, The Prestige, the first 2 Batman movies, Inception - all total ass movies. Totally like M. Night Shamalackalack!

I personally think The Dark Knight is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but what do I know.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I thought it was good, but could have done with less philosophical musing, and would have been improved markedly by Anne Hathway being accidentally run over when they first encounter her, and Tars taking her place for the rest of the movie ;p

I agree with Vvoid, that while I liked it, I am not sure I'd want to rewatch it anyway time soon, semi-upbeat ending aside, it's actually a kind of depressing and unpleasant. I was actually half expecting
the brother to shoot her for burning his farm

Few random complaints :
"I know ! I can study the black hole..".. 20 years later.. "..well, it's black and it's a hole. "

"Do you want to talk to your son ?" .. "Nah, fuck him, never liked the kid anyway, I'm off !"

I'll give the benefit of the doubt of there being some kind of off-screen scene where he actually tells someone what happened, and that he didn't just steal a spaceship and fuck off, leaving them with no clue what's going on.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
How Building a Black Hole for Interstellar Led to an Amazing Scientific Discovery | WIRED

That's what led Thorne to his "why, of course" moment when he first saw the final effect. The Double Negative team thought it must be a bug in the renderer. But Thorne realized that they had correctly modeled a phenomenon inherent in the math he'd supplied.

Still, no one knew exactly what a black hole would look like until they actually built one. Light, temporarily trapped around the black hole, produced an unexpectedly complex fingerprint pattern near the black hole's shadow. And the glowing accretion disk appeared above the black hole, below the black hole, and in front of it. "I never expected that," Thorne says. "Eug?nie just did the simulations and said, 'Hey, this is what I got.' It was just amazing."

In the end, Nolan got elegant images that advance the story. Thorne got a movie that teaches a mass audience some real, accurate science. But he also got something he didn't expect: a scientific discovery. "This is our observational data," he says of the movie's visualizations. "That's the way nature behaves. Period." Thorne says he can get at least two published articles out of it.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah Momento, Insomnia, The Prestige, the first 2 Batman movies, Inception - all total ass movies. Totally like M. Night Shamalackalack!

I personally think The Dark Knight is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but what do I know.
If "The Dark Knight" is one of the best movies you've ever seen, you don't know much.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Watched it last night. B-

Only in an american movie you survive a black hole, get rescued by 5 dimensional aliens, get back just in time to see your daughter on her death bed before going off to hook up with the girl whose boyfriend conveniently died.

Hootie

Silver Knight of the Realm
If "The Dark Knight" is one of the best movies you've ever seen, you don't know much.
Nah i understand what he is saying. When i saw TDK in the theaters i was incredibly entertained and really felt like i was seeing something truly different. Its a rare feeling these days, i wish there more movies made me feel that way.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, while I totally disagree with your comment about him being overrated, the Batman movies are on the bottom of his list for me. Inception is probably in my Top 3 movies of all time and I loved Memento and The Prestige. Insomnia was decent.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Was entertaining and visually beautiful, but...
--I think Christopher Nolan needs to take a step back from the EPIC, ALL THE TIME thing. It might've been because we didn't see it on IMAX, but I found the weird blaring organ music to be really distracting. A lot of times you couldn't understand what was being said because of all the DUNNNNNNNNNNNN sounds going on.

A lot of the dialogue was bad too. I like Michael Caine soliloquys as much as the next person but (and I think it was mentioned already), the speeches various characters made were contrived. I know they needed a shitload of exposition to make the story coherent, but... shit like Anne Hathaway going off about love transcending our dimension was cringe-worthy.

That said, Rust was in top form. And the robots were awesome.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
I think i would have hurled if I saw it on IMAX, all that spinning. Really enjoyed it though.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Was this better than Prometheus, the benchmark of quality by which all space related movies are judged?