Investing General Discussion

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The amount of new users Fidelity is going to get from this fiasco is going to be amazing.

Yeah they had a news article yesterday about how to open an account and deposit funds clearly geareds at those fleeing other brokers. Had how to enter stuff to track that was held with another broker and such.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think Fidelity and Etrade are going to get a huge influx of users. Anyone who didn't partake in the restrictions.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
For anyone new to fidelity they are amazing. You can have your HSA, (backdoor) Roth IRA, a solo 401k, other brokerage accounts etc. AND you can have an account as a checking account and the checking account is a money market account, ATM fee reimbursements, etc. And they have a class of free index funds. I love them.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Fidelity tagged one my accounts as a Pattern day trader even though I haven't met the requirements for that (4 daily round trip trades in a 5 day period) but I did trade AMC in that account. So I think they might be changing rules to try to capture more people with stricter margin requirements if they traded any of the WSB plays.

Going to be calling the active trader team this morning and see what's up.

I got some 90 day restriction on trades notification, saying I can only use settled funds now. I'm like wtf? If I did a trade you don't like then wtf did you allow it? I don't get it.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For anyone new to fidelity they are amazing. You can have your HSA, (backdoor) Roth IRA, a solo 401k, other brokerage accounts etc. AND you can have an account as a checking account and the checking account is a money market account, ATM fee reimbursements, etc. And they have a class of free index funds. I love them.
And make sure to download and use the Active Trader Pro software on your PC. Once you figure it all out its pretty damn sweet.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
They have decent credit cards too. I don’t use them but their terms for them aren’t bad.

• 1Solidarity

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Elon changed his twitter bio to #bitcoin. Boom crypto spike. That dude has the influence to become a trillionaire right now.

Hope he changes it back soon because I shorted the hell out of that spike. Short squeeze is only funny when it happens to evil wall street types.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I got some 90 day restriction on trades notification, saying I can only use settled funds now. I'm like wtf? If I did a trade you don't like then wtf did you allow it? I don't get it.

Technically they allowed you to trade with unsettled funds, so think of it as a free gimme that you can't do again for another 90 days. I

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Hmm, I traded AMC options and the stock out of my IRA. I need to be conscious of this I guess.

They told me it was coincidence and that FINRA has instructed them to switch over all limited margin retirement accounts to day trader margin requirements. Said this is rolling out over time.

Khane Khane didn't go back to find your post, but last night I think you mentioned a call from fidelity that asked for your username. While I would never call back a random number, wanted to tell you that Fidelity does indeed ask for your username or SS# when you call (never password). Not crazy about that as a feature, I like vanguards voice is my password gateway better. I just always make sure I am calling an official number.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
They told me it was coincidence and that FINRA has instructed them to switch over all limited margin retirement accounts to day trader margin requirements. Said this is rolling out over time.

Khane Khane didn't go back to find your post, but last night I think you mentioned a call from fidelity that asked for your username. While I would never call back a random number, wanted to tell you that Fidelity does indeed ask for your username or SS# when you call (never password). Not crazy about that as a feature, I like vanguards voice is my password gateway better. I just always make sure I am calling an official number.

Yea I went to the site and it was the same number, called again, and for some reason they asked me for either my username (or ss) and after that was entered they asked me for my password. I don't know what the hell is goin on there.

Both times I just hung up because I'm not putting my full credentials into a robo answering service.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Yea I went to the site and it was the same number, called again, and for some reason they asked me for either my username (or ss) and after that was entered they asked me for my password. I don't know what the hell is goin on there.

Both times I just hung up because I'm not putting my full credentials into a robo answering service.

Yeah not sure, I always do the SOC# that doesn't seem right.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hope he changes it back soon because I shorted the hell out of that spike. Short squeeze is only funny when it happens to evil wall street types.
Maybe they will pause trading for you and let you rebalance your positions.

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
how does that compare to TD's thinkorswim?

I actually use both, I keep $5 at TD so I have access to TOS. I have Active trader on one monitor for trade entries and current positions and other monitor is using TOS for charting. Overall I like TOS charting but some of that may be just because I never gave active trader much chance. I have been using TOS for charting for over a decade because I did this same set up when still at vanguard. TOS is a very robust program but active trader should definitely be sufficient for almost everyone, and I would definitely prefer Fidelity over TD.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I actually use both, I keep $5 at TD so I have access to TOS. I have Active trader on one monitor for trade entries and current positions and other monitor is using TOS for charting. Overall I like TOS charting but some of that may be just because I never gave active trader much chance. I have been using TOS for charting for over a decade because I did this same set up when still at vanguard. TOS is a very robust program but active trader should definitely be sufficient for almost everyone, and I would definitely prefer Fidelity over TD.

$5 in the acct, why didnt I think of that

• 1Like