Investing General Discussion

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Sorry novice here. When you say short the stock, if a everyday person shorts lets say GME and you get in a similar position these guys are in and can't buy the shares you owe who pays that bill ?

You would be forced to cover before you ran out of money

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My phone just rang. My 14-year old daughter called me just now.
Her: You know how we buy stocks?
Me: Yes
Her: We should buy doggie-coin. People say we can make money on that.
Me: Ok
Her: kk

Bubble confirmed.

• 13Worf
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 18 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Where do you see that? Haven't seen anything on fintwit yet
1611931161680.png

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

Bubble confirmed.

We aren't completely doomed, my daughter is wrapping up her college macro economics course today with a 100%, though she would probably want to buy doge coin as well just for the name.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ultimate ballsy great move if you manage to make money shorting GME on the way down.
The trick is to always be ahead of the curve. Just not too far ahead or you end up like Michael Burry and losing a ton before you end up right.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>

Bubble confirmed.

The lady I’ve been seeing for almost two years now, I was at her house last night, and of course she knows nothing about stocks or crypto. She has a shiba inu, so I showed her the logo for dogecoin and told her I was up $700 in it, and she said “SHIBA COIN! But what does doge mean?”

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sorry novice here. When you say short the stock, if a everyday person shorts lets say GME and you get in a similar position these guys are in and can't buy the shares you owe who pays that bill ?

You get forcibly closed out by your broker once the money in your account isn't enough to buy the shares.

You have $100. You short 1 share at $50. If share price doubles, the broker will take your $100 and close out your position. You now have $0.

There's fees etc but that's the basic gist of it.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Group fun:

I have $1700 sitting in another account.

Suggest a longshot option play we get some consensus on, and I’ll buy it. Not a nonsense one mind you — but it can be meme related. Something that actually has somewhat of a chance based on conditions but which will pay out greatly if it works.

If it pays out big I’ll give more money away afterwards.

Whar? Whar is suggestions? Let’s make this fun.

And remember I need hand holding on options. Nothing that would put me in risk of owing money.

If this play gets to $10,000 I’ll give away $1000.

If it gets to $20k I’ll give away $2k, and so on.

Hell, I’ll give away ten percent no matter what it gains, even if it’s $50.

Any Feb 5th suggestions?

Last edited:
It's a bad thing to be on the wrong side of (a short). Everything I know I know from Margin Call and the Big Short.

In the Big Short the big banks fucked with the players there too. Remember? They said "the system was down" -- but they were actually rejiggering things so they could at least handle the fuckage that was on the other side of the door (which, should not be there in a free market).

Sound about right? This thread is exciting. Excellent read. Would read again.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

Bubble confirmed.
You should have bought her like $20 and told her it was up to her to tell you when to sell

• 2Like

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
The trick is to always be ahead of the curve. Just not too far ahead or you end up like Michael Burry and losing a ton before you end up right.

You make it sound like Burry didn't make a shitload. He paid the price for being first and made 800 million, 100 of which was just for himself. He would've made even more and sooner if it weren't for all of the blatant fraud occurring.

• 1Solidarity

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
What's the consensus on GME ? It'll continue to be stopped in it's tracks after it reaches a certain level?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Did you ever get your money back?

I'm still pissed that I have $400 locked up in Robinhood from when I signed up for it and then decided to go with Stash instead. I still haven't fixed that issue, and they don't have a customer support phone number of any kind to call and cancel anything.

Edit: Eh, I ended up just caving in and buying some stocks on Robinhood rather than going through the trouble of checking it for the next week waiting for it to give me the option to withdraw my $400. Did $300 on Tesla and $100 on WWE, two things I kinda wanted but not enough to get during my first spree of stocks yesterday. Now I'm spread across three different investing platforms (Coinbase, Stash, Robinhood) but as I understand it that isn't too uncommon.
It eventually went through. But the delays meant I got in at $16.50 instead of like $13 (and had my overnight not been cancelled, probably $8-10). Which means I've been sitting here with dead money waiting for AMC to recover.

Had it not been for the buying cancellation yesterday, I might be green right now.