Investing General Discussion

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Start here. You want to understand the basics of what SPACS are and how they function first.

If you like the Fintech space look at NFIN. it already has a signed agreement to bring Triterras Fintech public later this year.

Bro, stop giving backlinks to my competitors :mad:

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I think its worth more than 100$ a share. On pure fundamentals? No. But one of the factors I try to analyze is upper level management. I like Musk. He is the odd mix of engineer, entrepreneur and showman. He embraces the digital space on places like Twitter and uses that to benefit his companies. I didnt buy in when it was in the 200s because I was only looking at fundamentals (where it still isnt strong). I would never make it a core holding. I do consider it a speculative holding like a SPAC and in hindsight I missed the boat on that. Had my thought processes 6 months ago been what they are today I would have bought it for the momentum play, not for the fundamentals. Shrug, I screwed the pooch on it.

I consider musk a big part of that fanboy money. In a way I think we agree. The biggest riskfactor for TSLA investors is musk's tendency to go on coke benders on twitter. He could do something to upend his fanboy culture and the moneymakers will cash in.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Here is a site I use to trak the latest comings and goings of new SPACS

• 1Like

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Putting this here as no more than an object lesson that the market is crazy..and it's funny.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Not looking for personal info but you compete with Triterras? If so, what do you think about them and their platform?

No, I never even heard of them until today. Looks like a commodity trading platform, I'm pretty far away from that sector of Fintech

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
New 52-week highs this morning...

AAPL
NVDA
GOOG
TSLA
QQQ
XLK

Notice a trend? AAPL 2.5% from $500. NVDA breaks $500

Whats wrong with this picture? Almost 7 out of 10 Nasdaq stocks in the red but the index is up 44 basis points. Big tech and nothing else.

1598022066398.png

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
No, I never even heard of them until today. Looks like a commodity trading platform, I'm pretty far away from that sector of Fintech
They do commodities trading on their proprietary platform called Kratos. Did 6.6 billion in trades the last 12 months on their platform. Home base in Singapore with other offices globally. NFIN is bringing them public. They are positive earnings already.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I made pretty good money on my mutual fund selections so far, up about 11% overall in less than 60 days, but I don't see the market going up any further until after the election is over, and likely going down. Should I sell them? They're all Fidelity funds so I think I can sell them after 30 days without penalty but I'm not 100% sure. These are all in non-taxable accounts.

Nah just sit on your stuff unless you’re trying to dip into day trading. You don’t actually lose money when the market goes down unless you sell. It will probably take a dump this fall but as long as you don’t get emotional and sell when it’s red you aren’t losing anything. Just keep adding to your choices at date you’re comfortable with and can afford.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
They do commodities trading on their proprietary platform called Kratos. Did 6.6 billion in trades the last 12 months on their platform. Home base in Singapore with other offices globally. NFIN is bringing them public. They are positive earnings already.

I've been wondering what the NFIN I had was... Lol

• 1Worf

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
AAPL Flirting with $500. Up like 25% since the split announcement. 25 fucking percent. I cracked the 100% profit mark since buying it in March. Insanity.

1598038010219.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

TheRashyman

Golden Knight of the Realm
Looking to dig in to something now that I sold off the WKHS and Plug shares I mentioned here nearly a year ago after they both popped. I took about 30k of that and put it in to Tesla at about $1k/share. I see some of you guys aren't sold on them, but I personally think the cars and home solar aren't even the first layers of the company to come. I also think Cathie Wood and the teams at ARK are awesome though and buy in a bit of their coolade.

Only have about 5-6k left to take a shot on something after holding back what I'll owe in taxes. Anyone got a handful of "wishful" stocks they are looking at? Would love to get some ideas of sectors or specific companies that I may not be looking at to see if I can understand the business and do some research there. Thinking maybe Wynn Resorts since the price is still very low due to covid issues to hold for the next year, or am I being dumb believing America will have Covid tackled within the next 6-9 months?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Looking to dig in to something now that I sold off the WKHS and Plug shares I mentioned here nearly a year ago after they both popped. I took about 30k of that and put it in to Tesla at about $1k/share. I see some of you guys aren't sold on them, but I personally think the cars and home solar aren't even the first layers of the company to come. I also think Cathie Wood and the teams at ARK are awesome though and buy in a bit of their coolade.

Only have about 5-6k left to take a shot on something after holding back what I'll owe in taxes. Anyone got a handful of "wishful" stocks they are looking at? Would love to get some ideas of sectors or specific companies that I may not be looking at to see if I can understand the business and do some research there. Thinking maybe Wynn Resorts since the price is still very low due to covid issues to hold for the next year, or am I being dumb believing America will have Covid tackled within the next 6-9 months?
Lots of different plays and companies have been talked about here. Maybe go back the last month or so in the thread and catch up to find some of those different ideas.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
If I had some spare money i'd like to put it in Tractor Supply TSCO. I like their stores, sometimes drive out of my way to go to them and they are growing like crazy. They will (sadly?) put the local more overpriced mom and pop feed stores out of business im sure. And with the migration out of dense cities and back to the burbs/rural and peoples fascination with goats and chickens and what not, I think business will be good.

Their stock has already gone up by leaps and bounds, but like I said they have huge growth plans. Maybe someone more technical would like to dig into their financials but this company is on my short list for when I get some extra money. Hell, or maybe i'll switch out my ASML holdings for them here real soon.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
New 52-week highs this morning...

AAPL
NVDA
GOOG
TSLA
QQQ
XLK

Notice a trend? AAPL 2.5% from $500. NVDA breaks $500

Whats wrong with this picture? Almost 7 out of 10 Nasdaq stocks in the red but the index is up 44 basis points. Big tech and nothing else.

View attachment 295250

It's almost like people realized monopolies are the perfect bet, because the government is too pussy to do anything serious about them.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's almost like people realized monopolies are the perfect bet, because the government is too pussy to do anything serious about them.
There is the concept that it doesnt matter if the companies aren't as good as people think. What matters is people think it. 50,000 Frenchman can't be wrong. The idea being the one contrarian may be right, but the mass of 50,000 people who are wrong will steamroll the lone contrarian. Go with the flow but always be ready to be the first guy out the door.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There is the concept that it doesnt matter if the companies aren't as good as people think. What matters is people think it. 50,000 Frenchman can't be wrong. The idea being the one contrarian may be right, but the mass of 50,000 people who are wrong will steamroll the lone contrarian. Go with the flow but always be ready to be the first guy out the door.

It just seems so fucked up and broken right now. Apple, $2.2 trillion company with a multitude of expensive products inside a huge amount of homes, is trading at 37x p/e and people think it may be overpriced. Meanwhile Tesla, which produces a measly amount of niche cars barely anyone has, is trading at 1000x just cause it’s cool and maybe someday it’ll be producing good batteries and people can’t get enough of it. Money out of thin air just cause fuck it why not.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It just seems so fucked up and broken right now. Apple, $2.2 trillion company with a multitude of expensive products inside a huge amount of homes, is trading at 37x p/e and people think it may be overpriced. Meanwhile Tesla, which produces a measly amount of niche cars barely anyone has, is trading at 1000x just cause it’s cool and maybe someday it’ll be producing good batteries and people can’t get enough of it. Money out of thin air just cause fuck it why not.
You are 100% correct. That being said we can choose to say "I'm not investing because millions of dunces are wrong" and watch the rally pass you by or you can join the herd and be ready to bail first by using tools like trailing stops.

Example, I personally despise FB, I didn't buy it in March. I realized that while I personally don't believe in the company tens of millions do. I stopped fighting and bought some. I'm up like 20% in a month on it. Shrug follow the herd. On the flip side I chose not to buy AMZN at $1600 in March. The herd doubled their money on it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
So the election is about 10 weeks away. I am beginning to wonder the best way to make money on it. Hopefully @Blazin will chime in at some point. My belief is this will be the most litigated election in history. I think it will surpass 2000. Based on the article below, there are nearly 200 existing lawsuits in various states concerning voting changes. This doesn't even scratch the surface of what happens after the voting is completed. I have studied politics for a long time and I can tell you that unless the election is a true blowout and either Biden or Trump absolutely crush it, the lawsuits will be epic.

The market hates uncertainty. In 2000, the S&P 500 fell more than 8% in the 5 weeks that Gore/Bush was being litigated. I am thinking of loading up on SPY puts. Less risky, of course, is to just hold my cash until the election and be ready to start buying quality on discount when the market tanks as we wait to find out who are President will be. Thoughts?

Short iron butterfly I think would be safest.