Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A green day for the markets with both AAPL and AMZN in the red. Its a good sign.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Looked at futures this morning. First article was "Stocks continue to rise as country prepares for Biden victory". The pump is real. Futures are up.

Interesting to see what happens with my energy position. Most rigs shut down in 15 years in the gulf is the headline, guessing Katrina 15 years ago.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Looked at futures this morning. First article was "Stocks continue to rise as country prepares for Biden victory". The pump is real. Futures are up.

Interesting to see what happens with my energy position. Most rigs shut down in 15 years in the gulf is the headline, guessing Katrina 15 years ago.
1st rule of investing. Ignore those articles. Basically they are all the same "Dow climbs because <insert random reason I havent used in the last 3 days>". This is especially true for "opinion" articles. Futures are up because its earnings week and people are pricing in improvements from the pit of despair that was the 2nd quarter. The trick to look at it is "what" is rising. If we can continue to move higher while the APPL, AMZN, MSFT clique flatline or drop slightly it means the broader market is moving forward which is a positive sign. What we dont want is the opposite (the big 5 or 6 going up and the rest lagging). Look at the Russell 2k over the last month. This is good news...

1602247020619.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Those articles are the worst, and they'll literally pivot in the same day.

10:00 am: Stocks down due to weak earnings report!

2:00 pm: Stocks up despite weak earnings report!?

I swear, they have a better gig than weathermen and sports casters.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I ignore them. I just thought it was funny, to think someone actually gets paid (probably good money) to write those.

I could be a weatherman. You have a 50/50 chance at least. It's either going to rain or it's not going to rain.

I had put a lot of "thought" into my energy move thinking eventually regardless of how the election turns out eventually people are going to travel, fly, drive etc...now large number of rigs shutdown and Exxon laid off a bunch in the UK same day and Chevron is moving to unload 15% of it's work force by making them reapply. A little trimming of the fat would have helped but they passed that a long time ago.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
WallStreetBets time. Chamath Palihapitiya is rolling out three new SPACS today (he has already done 3). IPOD, IPOE and IPOF (yeah he is original). He is making a fortune off the fees for these. Anyway, if you can grab them at the open for $10 they can probably net a quick 5-10% flip as the reddit/Robbinhood crowd goes FOMO. He bills them as "socially conscious" or some shit.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
I bought 75 shares of ARKG to hold long term. Got it at like 50$/per.

Not regretting it.
There are 5 of the ARK funds, G and then also K, Q, W and F.

ARK Innovation ETFs

I've got a decent smattering in all 5 and they have done really well lately. I was in the cryto based one "W" for a few years before I discovered the others.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
In AMD news;

Seems like a massive buy considering how AMD itself was valued just 3-4 years ago. Even now at near record highs AMDs only worth 100 billion.

I am not an expert but I don’t think company valuations really come into the equation for mergers and acquisitions. Look at the recent mergers in healthcare. CVS and Aetna was a $70B merge, Cigna and Express scripts was close to that too. CVS & Cigna are valued well under $100b even after those mergers. I think UNH went though something similar at the same time.

I think it’s just all about cash on hand, and what value that purchase is going to add to their revenue stream and ultimately their valuation.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
PSTH. Ackman discusses target. Willing to take a partial stake in a really big unicorn. Would like family owned. This circles back to rumors earlier about Chick-fil-A and Publix. Stock having a nice run up.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am not an expert but I don’t think company valuations really come into the equation for mergers and acquisitions. Look at the recent mergers in healthcare. CVS and Aetna was a $70B merge, Cigna and Express scripts was close to that too. CVS & Cigna are valued well under $100b even after those mergers. I think UNH went though something similar at the same time.

I think it’s just all about cash on hand, and what value that purchase is going to add to their revenue stream and ultimately their valuation.
Depends if its all cash or if stock is involved. If part of the purchase price is in stock valuations matter. They can use a collar to guarantee a min stock price value.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Depends if its all cash or if stock is involved. If part of the purchase price is in stock valuations matter. They can use a collar to guarantee a min stock price value.
Right. That’s what my comment about cash on hand meant. I’ve seen companies valued way lower than they other buy the bigger company simply because the low value company had more cash hoarded than the big company.