Investing General Discussion

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
When you don't have interesting tech, what stops people from just moving on to the new thing? Just because someone paid a bunch of money for ResetEra doesn't mean that purchase was smart. They'll throw adds up on the thing until it dies when people move onto something else.

I just think the entire social media business is bad business. Facebook isn't worth what it is because it's a social media platform, it's worth what it is because it's one of the two largest advertising companies in the world that just happens to have a social media platform attached to it, just like Google happens to have search attached to it.
This is almost the exact opposite of reality. Amazing.

I'm going to go with Musk knows better what he's doing and the conditions of how and why twitter is valuable and how it might be improved under his stewardship over your bassackwards and corrosive world view.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF
Lots of rich elites buy platforms to spew their crap. Elon buying twitter to turn it into a chaos zone might actually get me to sign up. Better than dumping billions into the washington post.

• 1Solidarity

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I just think the entire social media business is bad business.
I agree with this long term.

But I also think a global free speech platform is a fundamentally different thing than what social media is, at least now. And could in the long term turn into something much more valuable.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
When you don't have interesting tech, what stops people from just moving on to the new thing?

People attract more people.
People don't just up and leave popular spaces... this applies to almost everything irl and online.

Your whole argument is based around a fictitious view of mass society.

• 1Truth!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just bought a straddle on TWTR.
$45.5 strike
4/29 expiry (just after earnings).
$740 per contract.
Need about a 16% move for profitability. I got two outs. Elon and Earnings.

Dice Vegas GIF by The Weeknd

1649961798579.png

• 2Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
People attract more people.
People don't just up and leave popular spaces... this applies to almost everything irl and online.

Your whole argument is based around a fictitious view of mass society.
You're missing my point. My point is that social media is a bad business to be in unless you've got some highly synergistic business tied to it, like Facebook did with advertising.

Tirant

Golden Knight of the Realm
Snagged a couple hundred Twitter shares near close. I’ll vote to sell to Elon if given the chance. Probably sell covered calls in the mean time tho.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
You're missing my point. My point is that social media is a bad business to be in unless you've got some highly synergistic business tied to it, like Facebook did with advertising.

Your points have been all over the map tbh.

By "bad business to be in", I take it you are now arguing for profitability?

Your point hasn't been about profitability of social media companies at all. You have been arguing the valuation. There is a lot more to valuation than profitability.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Your points have been all over the map tbh.

By "bad business to be in", I take it you are now arguing for profitability?

Your point hasn't been about profitability of social media companies at all. You have been arguing the valuation. There is a lot more to valuation than profitability.
My point is that I don't really see the longterm value in Twitter. I bought a bunch of it as it traded lower and lower, as I heard multiple people talking about it being ripe for acquisition. I sold on the first day Elon announced his ownership.

This is the investing thread. I do not see the upside potential of owning this company longterm.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
My point is that I don't really see the longterm value in Twitter. I bought a bunch of it as it traded lower and lower, as I heard multiple people talking about it being ripe for acquisition. I sold on the first day Elon announced his ownership.

This is the investing thread. I do not see the upside potential of owning this company longterm.

With current leadership, and if the buyout fails, I agree with you.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
TWTR goes the poison pill route. The lawsuits will be epic. Consider GS is advising TWTR on this route while at the same time they have a Sell rating and $20 price target. Discovery will be epic if it gets that far.

• 2Like