Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Also, FDX didnt crash after the announcement. This is a good sign that maybe this was already baked in.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
How does Tesla survive the Great Reset? The elite goal seems to be to destroy all vehicles and the entire middle class lifestyle in the West.

If you're short-term trader, okay, but long-term I don't see any future.
The just announced the first deliveries of their Semi in December to Pepsi. I dont see the "great reset" as a thing.

edit: corrected UPS to Pepsi

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I can't believe the market is interpreting anything lower than 300k monthly jobs as a 'dangerously healthy' job market...

The Fed and the market are absolutely conspiring to cause a mass unemployment event. That's the real conspiracy here (except not because they're doing it right out in the open) not ESG and the 'great reset' nonsense.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Odd factoid that may only interest me. VIX is not moving to the same extent that the way the indexes are. Its up, but only 3% to $31.41.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
1665169973954.png

Animated GIF

• 1Diamond Hands
  • 1Launch Fail
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The 5-year chart no longer works tracking INTC. You need to use the 10-year chart to see previous lows.

1665170328213.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Monday and Tuesday were also the dumbest rallies in history TBH.
Markets are pretty much benny hill at this point. I try not to hurt myself by attaching logic to much of anything.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Interesting factoid I learned today in my tax class. There is a 5 -year waiting period before you can pull distributions from a Roth and they are tax free. This 5-year period begins when the account is set up, and has nothing to do when you put the money in. So, there is a benefit of setting up a Roth as soon as possible even if you dont fund it much until you get older. This would start the clock ticking and make it something you wouldnt have to worry about down the road.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Interesting factoid I learned today in my tax class. There is a 5 -year waiting period before you can pull distributions from a Roth and they are tax free. This 5-year period begins when the account is set up, and has nothing to do when you put the money in. So, there is a benefit of setting up a Roth as soon as possible even if you dont fund it much until you get older. This would start the clock ticking and make it something you wouldnt have to worry about down the road.
I could've told you that. You can also do traditional to Roth conversions and they also become subject to the 5 year period (the 5 year period for these is based on the conversion date however).

For example, a retired married couple can withdraw close to $100k a year and face zero federal taxes (since you'd be talking long term capital gains and not earned income). If you only need $50k, you can transfer $50k more from a traditional to Roth, wait 5 years, and now you never have to pay taxes on it ever (also keep in mind it's subject to capital gains, so purchase price minus selling price; meaning significantly more could be rolled over).

It's called a Roth conversion ladder and it's a pretty crazy loophole. You can't touch the gains, obviously, until 59.5, but you can set up a ladder where you end up never paying taxes on your retirement accounts ever. The limit being you kind of need lower living expenses in retirement.

Our plan had originally been to have enough in cash and a taxable account to get us through the first five years of retirement, and then use the ladder to have zero taxes from there forward.

• 2Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users