Investing General Discussion

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm just amused at the student loan reddit telling everyone to put the money they weren't paying on their loans into the market with an (at the time) 3-6 month time horizon for when they'd need to pull it back out. Line always go up!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
XII was the funniest one to me, and really shows how fucking terrible 2022 was. Cash was the 2nd best performing asset, despite 9.1% inflation (and yes, I know it says T-Bills, but still).
Yet when I went into 2022 with over 300k in cash, everyone here and everyone I know IRL that knows anything about money was telling me that I was fucking retarded, and then I was actually retarded by listening to them.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yet when I went into 2022 with over 300k in cash, everyone here and everyone I know IRL that knows anything about money was telling me that I was fucking retarded, and then I was actually retarded by listening to them.
Not many people anticipated just how horrific 2022 would be. In just about any other time period in US history, cash is one of the worst possible things to hold. It was just the perfect storm of shit.

• 2Truth!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Maybe go look at the first week or two of 2022. Then go look at the posts saying the Fed need to pull the bandaid off and pull a Volcker and not drag interest rate hikes out for a year or two. Don't blame us if Janet Powell don't read FOH.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Maybe go look at the first week or two of 2022. Then go look at the posts saying the Fed need to pull the bandaid off and pull a Volcker and not drag interest rate hikes out for a year or two. Don't blame us if Janet Powell don't read FOH.
It was just bad timing on my part. I had all that money sitting on the sidelines for years waiting for a crash. I should have put much more of that money in when I did my first big buy in 2020, which made me way over-confident after getting very fast 58% returns. It's a lesson, for other people.

"Don't wait for a crash, but if you do wait for a crash, actually go all in when it crashes, don't just go a little bit in..."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
Time in the market vs timing the market

I'm looking at it with a sales mentality. You need so many "no's" before you get that yes. So if someone tells you no, move on. It's a numbers game. The govt can't fuck is indefinitely right? Right?

• 1Slow
  • 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
It was just bad timing on my part. I had all that money sitting on the sidelines for years waiting for a crash. I should have put much more of that money in when I did my first big buy in 2020, which made me way over-confident after getting very fast 58% returns. It's a lesson, for other people.

"Don't wait for a crash, but if you do wait for a crash, actually go all in when it crashes, don't just go a little bit in..."
Your situation has me curious so just threw some data into a spreadsheet, $300k dollar cost averaged into the market since Jan 1 2020 and finishing today is still UP, in fact there is only a fraction of a time during the entire 3yr span the portfolio would have ever been in the red. Now given it's not a great 3yr return and I'm not calculating on gain on the cash that was waiting to be invested.

Capture.JPG

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
We're all gonna
Your situation has me curious so just threw some data into a spreadsheet, $300k dollar cost averaged into the market since Jan 1 2020 and finishing today is still UP, in fact there is only a fraction of a time during the entire 3yr span the portfolio would have ever been in the red. Now given it's not a great 3yr return and I'm not calculating on gain on the cash that was waiting to be invested.

View attachment 453622
Right, that's what I'm saying, I didn't do that. I put in a lot of money in June-ish 2020 and then sat on the rest (aside from the money I was using for ETHE swing-trading) until early 2022 and then panic bought about 150k worth of shit in the first quarter of this year. I should have been dollar-cost averaging the whole time.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
SPY really trying to break above the macro descending trendline from the market highs descending through peaks of 2022. Lots of caution here, as we could finally break and hold over this level or equally just reject and pull back again. We are, however above all major moving averages.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We're all gonna

Right, that's what I'm saying, I didn't do that. I put in a lot of money in June-ish 2020 and then sat on the rest (aside from the money I was using for ETHE swing-trading) until early 2022 and then panic bought about 150k worth of shit in the first quarter of this year. I should have been dollar-cost averaging the whole time.
I also waited until January 2022 to dump about half my net worth into the market (sold house and some cars/nerd shit). Bad timing all around :)

• 2Solidarity

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
SPY really trying to break above the macro descending trendline from the market highs descending through peaks of 2022. Lots of caution here, as we could finally break and hold over this level or equally just reject and pull back again. We are, however above all major moving averages.
I'm hating the set up but always say trade the chart in front of you and right now things are improving. More and more charts starting to look healthier. I'm not ready for a go all in capitulation of caution but the moving averages turn up and stack from fastest to slowest only people who hate money fight it at that point. So while buying 400 may feel dangerous, if the bulls win this inflection point better be ready to buy 410-420 .

People will keep wanting to fear 08 and dotcom analogies but those bear markets never had strong breadth thrust that cleared and righted the moving averages. If that's what we get then no matter how we feel about, this bear period is over.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Anyone have experience with 529 plan rollovers? I had one for my son that I started funding in a state with an income tax deduction for contributions. I no longer live there, and for sanity I want to consolidate all my assets in a single portal and would like to roll that plan over into a new one with better fund choices and lower costs. It appears that the original state will want to recapture the income tax benefit I received, but no one can seem to tell me if I will also be on the hook for potential penalties or interest, or even if there is a statue of limitations on the recapture.

Has any of you guys done this before?

Edit: This should probably go in the Death & Taxes thread. I've reposted there. Amod Amod feel free to remove.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Anyone here liking any particular Gold ETFs? Thinking about buying a little bit in lieu of gold bars.