It (2017)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Saw it today with the woman, I liked it, and she's sworn off ever going to another horror movie again, so I suppose that says something (she is 100% serious too, she's just done with the genre, she thought it was a well made movie, but she just doesn't enjoy wanting to scream for 2 hour straight, haha).

I think my only real complain was with the bully side story aspect. Why was that needed at all? I felt like the whole movie would have been better off without any of that stuff, because A.) the kid is a straight up insane person which seems out of place in an otherwise grounded "normal world but with a monster" story, and B.) Ultimately he doesn't matter to the story anyway. I feel like if you ask the question "Would the movie be better if all that bully stuff was cut?" the answer would be yes. Maybe his story sets something up for a future film? I don't really know.

To counter that complaint, I really liked what the film did to every adult. Almost every adult the kids saw seemed odd and false, like they were in layers of prosthetic makeup or something. I guess the exception would be a couple of the really creepy adults, who looked normal, but in an obvious creepy/dangerous way. I haven't read anything into it, but my guess was that the filmmaker wanted the audience to see things from the kids perspective, where adults seem to either be a clear danger, or slightly alien/weird/different in a way that. That's how I took it anyway, but who knows. Was a neat effect no matter what the reasoning was, just one more touch that made everything seem ugly.
I disagree with the bully aspect. The losers club came to existence because of him. I think in the book he went missing a lot faster and they did take some liberties there, but I didn't mind him.

Rikkon

Lord Nagafen Raider
I enjoyed the movie but have two flaws...

It started out fairly slow

The bully arc.. I don't think it added any real value. It wasn't even a bully issue, dude was a psychopath, carving into someone's stomach isn't bullying...

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Ome

Molten Core Raider
To counter that complaint, I really liked what the film did to every adult. Almost every adult the kids saw seemed odd and false, like they were in layers of prosthetic makeup or something. I guess the exception would be a couple of the really creepy adults, who looked normal, but in an obvious creepy/dangerous way. I haven't read anything into it, but my guess was that the filmmaker wanted the audience to see things from the kids perspective, where adults seem to either be a clear danger, or slightly alien/weird/different in a way that. That's how I took it anyway, but who knows. Was a neat effect no matter what the reasoning was, just one more touch that made everything seem ugly.

I haven't read the book but the feeling I got watching the movie is that IT has a corrupting, desensitizing effect on the town. For starters adults and kids during ITs feeding frenzy disappear at an alarming rate but it almost seems to be no big deal to those who live in the town itself. One example is how they just stack missing kids posters on top of one another like they are just going through the motions. The corrupting aspect seems to shift peoples morality one degree lower. You got the rapey dad, the pharmacist pedo, fat lying mom, sheriff, and even the people in the car who do nothing to help fatty as hes getting carved up. Seems like IT has a pervasive effect on the town as a whole.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

I haven't read the book but the feeling I got watching the movie is that IT has a corrupting, desensitizing effect on the town. For starters adults and kids during ITs feeding frenzy disappear at an alarming rate but it almost seems to be no big deal to those who live in the town itself. One example is how they just stack missing kids posters on top of one another like they are just going through the motions. The corrupting aspect seems to shift peoples morality one degree lower. You got the rapey dad, the pharmacist pedo, fat lying mom, sheriff, and even the people in the car who do nothing to help fatty as hes getting carved up. Seems like IT has a pervasive effect on the town as a whole.
theres even the more overt, Bevs dad not seeing the blood.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
this is correct. The presence that is It has kind of seeped into a lot of the way the town functions, for lack of a better term. It is corrupting.
In addition, in the book the Henry Bowers gang plays a much more significant role and end up kind of possessed by It. Seeing this tomorrow and I'm a little bummed that I keep hearing the bullies are almost an afterthought. They are almost more of a constant threat to the losers than It is.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this today, I almost never see horror movies - I think the last one I saw in theaters was the original Blair Witch Project, like 15? years ago - and was absolutely terrified the entire time. Amazing movie, just so simple and basic but goddamn I am so glad the directors/writers realized you don't need to overly complicate a story, just tell it really well. Really, really strong vibes with Stranger Things, like this is ST's big brother.

I can see why so many people love horror movies though, definitely had an adrenaline rush afterwards similar to eating spicy food. Can't wait for part 2 and whatever else the guys behind this and all the actors do next.

I wonder who they will get for the adults in part 2, the Molly Ringwald chick looks like Amy Adams as a kid

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for clearing up the way the adults look and act in the town, that makes a lot of sense. I read the book and saw the movie in high school, but that was a solid 20 years ago and I don't really remember it at all. For some reason I was thinking IT was a really big spider and had everyone in cocoons or something at the end. Then again, maybe that's the next movie /shrug

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
this is correct. The presence that is It has kind of seeped into a lot of the way the town functions, for lack of a better term. It is corrupting.
In addition, in the book the Henry Bowers gang plays a much more significant role and end up kind of possessed by It. Seeing this tomorrow and I'm a little bummed that I keep hearing the bullies are almost an afterthought. They are almost more of a constant threat to the losers than It is.

Absolutely!

Leon

<Silver Donator>

100 percent on point in the books. There is an overwhelming feeling of corruption all around, like the town people are warped by IT's presence, and it creates this oppressive feeling.

If they were able to capture a fraction of that on screen I might change my mind and go see it.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
My exact thought!

Let us pray for It Part Two hiring Amy Adams

kqsmDWn.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Did you know there's an underage gangbang in the book?

Henry Bowers getting a handy from Patrick Hockstetter, the kid that suffocated his baby brother to death and suffocates animals in a garbage dump refrigerator (all in detail) while Bevery watches is a more fucked up scene but the gangbang gets all the glory.

• 2Worf

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
just got home from seeing it. Not sure I have a lot to add aside from I felt the longer Pennywise was on the screen, the less I liked and was chilled by the performance. The first half of the movie up to about where Mike Hanlon is getting his ass kicked and he sees Pennywise eating the arm and waving it at him i think Pennywise was awesome. The sewer scene was perfect, incredibly chilling. There's 2 moments in there you can tell that that is not a human in the sewer but something pretending to be one. The kids in the cast were unanimously superb with special mention to the actors playing Bev, Eddie, and Ritchie (not a big surprise there). Eddie was my favorite of all of them.
Overall, fantastic and easily in the top couple Stephen King adaptations, but I'm not sure its as mindblowingly out of this world as many of the reviews I have read.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Henry Bowers getting a handy from Patrick Hockstetter, the kid that suffocated his baby brother to death and suffocates animals in a garbage dump refrigerator (all in detail) while Bevery watches is a more fucked up scene but the gangbang gets all the glory.
It's not a gangbang okay, it's a train because they all took turns!

• 1Like