It (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I enjoyed the movie but have two flaws...

It started out fairly slow

The bully arc.. I don't think it added any real value. It wasn't even a bully issue, dude was a psychopath, carving into someone's stomach isn't bullying...

The bully arc is important for the the next film. It's not coincidence you don't see the dude die in the well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I just got back from the theater and while I thought it was pretty good it was definitely a mainstream horror film. It was often loud and was lacking in the kind of subtlety necessary to really make a film really scary. It had plenty of things I thought were just great (the television talking about how fun it was to play in the sewer when Bev gets home, the pictures if the ironworks explosion zooming in closer and closer, the first part of the slide show) and I was absolutely fine with the third act being crazy but the earlier stuff could have been dialed back some to make the later scares more effective.

Things I didn't like were the apocalyptic rock fight being played for laughs, Eddie's mother being played for laughs, Stan not having anything to do, and Mike not having anything to do. They pushed some of Stan's characterization onto Bill and it wasn't necessary. Stan's the one that has the idea to clean the bathroom because he is a clean and orderly person. He's got a rigid strength to him and it's why as an adult he decides to not go back to Derry. Being afraid he could handle but he just couldn't stand to be dirty. Stan's also the one that cuts everyone's palms in the book.

I don't understand why they introduced the Fire at the Black Spot but then also had it so Mike's parents died in a fire. It would have been so much cooler to have Mike's father or grandpa tell him the story of the Black Spot. Heck, you could have had it be a promotional thing where leading up to the film there's this 7-8 minute short where we get introduced to Mike and get that story. I think Alien Covenant did something like that?

Overall happy with it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I just got back from the theater and while I thought it was pretty good it was definitely a mainstream horror film. It was often loud and was lacking in the kind of subtlety necessary to really make a film really scary. It had plenty of things I thought were just great (the television talking about how fun it was to play in the sewer when Bev gets home, the pictures if the ironworks explosion zooming in closer and closer, the first part of the slide show) and I was absolutely fine with the third act being crazy but the earlier stuff could have been dialed back some to make the later scares more effective.

Things I didn't like were the apocalyptic rock fight being played for laughs, Eddie's mother being played for laughs, Stan not having anything to do, and Mike not having anything to do. They pushed some of Stan's characterization onto Bill and it wasn't necessary. Stan's the one that has the idea to clean the bathroom because he is a clean and orderly person. He's got a rigid strength to him and it's why as an adult he decides to not go back to Derry. Being afraid he could handle but he just couldn't stand to be dirty. Stan's also the one that cuts everyone's palms in the book.

I don't understand why they introduced the Fire at the Black Spot but then also had it so Mike's parents died in a fire. It would have been so much cooler to have Mike's father or grandpa tell him the story of the Black Spot. Heck, you could have had it be a promotional thing where leading up to the film there's this 7-8 minute short where we get introduced to Mike and get that story. I think Alien Covenant did something like that?

Overall happy with it.
Saw it tonight and wanted to basically say the same. Good movie, but not unsettling. All the scares were telegraphed. Flickering lights, voices and then loud music.

Kid actors were great though. Had to laugh at cliff scene, because they reused it in stranger things for nostalgia.

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
I thought the chick playing Beverly was great and super pretty, and I expect to see her start being in a ton of shit. She might not explode the way Emma Watson did when she got hot, but I think she's going to be around for a long time.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I thought the chick playing Beverly was great and super pretty, and I expect to see her start being in a ton of shit. She might not explode the way Emma Watson did when she got hot, but I think she's going to be around for a long time.

This movie reminded me of Nightmare on Elm Street quite a bit at times and I think that actress could make an excellent Nancy Thompson in a new reboot of the franchise.

Alert Hollywood.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Good copy out for download so finally watched it. They definitely stepped up the scare factor compared to the previous one.

I am excited to see how well they do the next one.

• 2Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I really enjoyed this. I thought Pennywise was creepy as hell and had more of an other-worldly feel to it than Tim Curry's version (which is still awesome, of course).

I never read the novel so I went back and read the Wikipedia plot synopsis. Holy shit, glad they didn't follow the book completely. Someone mentioned a child gang-bang earlier -- that wasn't a joke. What the hell is wrong with King?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I never read the novel so I went back and read the Wikipedia plot synopsis. Holy shit, glad they didn't follow the book completely. Someone mentioned a child gang-bang earlier -- that wasn't a joke. What the hell is wrong with King?

Lots and lots of drugs and alcohol back in the day.

Coincidentally when he wrote his best stuff.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Holy shit, glad they didn't follow the book completely. Someone mentioned a child gang-bang earlier -- that wasn't a joke. What the hell is wrong with King?

I had a high school friend who had read a lot of the Steven King books. He'd often tell me what the book had v's the film when they did a film version.

I remember he told me about that. Thought he was making that one up to get a laugh ( no Wiki or anything, to do an easy check of facts back then )

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Saw it tonight and wanted to basically say the same. Good movie, but not unsettling. All the scares were telegraphed. Flickering lights, voices and then loud music.

Kid actors were great though. Had to laugh at cliff scene, because they reused it in stranger things for nostalgia.

Agree with this and Arb's post. Didn't find it scary, or unnerving by any means. It was pretty damn funny, and a well made movie. Much better going into it thinking it is gonna be Stranger Things-esque rather than an actual horror film. I think the nostalgia of the books and original movies probably helped play this out to be better than it maybe was.

Either way, I liked it. The guy who played Pennywise did great. He felt otherworldly. Definitely in for the sequel.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I watched it for a second time just a couple days ago and found myself still enjoying it very much. That probably means the film is better than my initial perception. I just wish it was a little more patient with its scares and I wish Mike and Stan had a bit more to do.

I think I said this before but this is more what the Nightmare on Elm Street remake should have been. If the screenwriters weren't Wes Craven fans I'd be shocked. The theater playing Nightmare on Elm Street 5 is I think a nod to there being some inspiration taken from at least the earlier films of that franchise.

• 1Solidarity

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
DVD bonus feature stuff for this and the deleted scenes are pretty good. A few things they cut I think hindered the movie a little bit even.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
DVD bonus feature stuff for this and the deleted scenes are pretty good. A few things they cut I think hindered the movie a little bit even.
Bonus features are indeed very enjoyable for this one. I've watched it a number of times already since buying it and there are a few not awesome spots (i don't much like the end when they gang tackle IT and cause its retreat), but its very good overall. The ending just kills me...the distinction between Bev saying "see ya around" to Bill and then "Bye" when he finally kisses her at the very end just pulls at my ex-teenage heartstrings. I never lived through an extra dimensional clown attack at that age, but that moment so nailed how immense it was to kiss a girl at 14. Also the scene with Pennywise using Georgie as a puppet in the flooded basement was more disturbing getting to watch it a few times.

Brad2770

She has that Molly Ringwald look. I had a crush on Molly Ringwald before I grew hair on my balls.

molly-ringwald-GC-e1310445678477.jpg

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
This movie felt like it was checking off all the boxes instead of being a cohesive whole. I also wasn't scared or creeped out by it. At least with all the money it made we'll get more ambitious horror movies in the next few years as opposed to more Conjuring spin offs.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Movie was an hour too long.

I am completely caught off guard by people like this, I was laughing out loud because of How bad it was.

The beginning starts awesome with the sewers scene change, then pennywise just falls apart in terms of being "scary."

Why the fuck are teeth so scary to people lol, one of the creatures was literally eating a kids face and he walks it off like it's no thing?

Worst scene by far was the dancing near the end.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Most of it Was ok. The kids attitudes were forced. The slideshow was good shit until the gitant penny wise jumps out and looked like it was the worst cgi ever.

• 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
What slideshow? What are we all talking about? The one where it showed the girls hair wave away to be pennywise?

What was scary/good/whatever about that, and as you said, the jump scare after sucked balls.

Like honestly I need to understand what was good here. :p

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
That came out kinda aggressive sorry ignore the tone lol, just trying to see why my brain is broken.

Last time this happened I saw Jurassic world when everyone was raving, biggest piece of shit I've ever seen I was laughing out loud.

• 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users