It (2017)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I think Pennywise does need to be updated. Clowns are shown as horrific monsters 90% of the time in popular culture these days. and have been for the last 30 years at least.
Pennywise using the clown facade doesnt make sense. no kid would find a clown trustworthy or innocent anymore. To entice a kid, it should be Spiderman, Elsa, or like, Tinkerbell. Getting the licence to do that of course would be nearly impossible.. (kindof sad that anything that would work, would be a trademarked character these days. you probably could do a generic superhero , or public domain one) Tinkerbell would be in public domain. Although, not the Disney version.
But yeah, imagine Spiderman or Tinkerbell pulling the "we all float down here" lines.

I wanted to trash you because of how stupid this originally sounded, but I thought for a sec and I see what you're saying and I think you may be right. You just mean something new that's considered innocent. Does this version of It take place in 1980 or 2017?

Caliane

I always got the impression in the book that the clown facade wasn't as good as It thought it was.
Presumably thats part of the idea. More creepy that way. Superficially, its the friendly facade. But look too long or too close, and you see the cracks in it, and its wrongness.. A child particularly might overlook, the things that are wrong.

I wanted to trash you because of how stupid this originally sounded, but I thought for a sec and I see what you're saying and I think you may be right. You just mean something new that's considered innocent. Does this version of It take place in 1980 or 2017?
looking into it, 1988. Straight remake. Split into two movies. kids-1988. Adults 2018 I assume.
So yeah, keeping it the same for that reason.

I also would have gone with sequel. It surviving and waking up 30 years later to start again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Saw it at an advanced screening hosted by Broke Horror Fan and really liked it. When first written IT played on the 80s 'gang of geeks' trope that was heavily used in the 80s (Goonies, Stand By Me, Monster Squad, etc.) and so is very much a product of that era. The rampaging success of Stranger Things has led to a resurrection of that entire trope and so I think IT will ultimately owe a good portion of any success obtained to the Duffer brothers.

Caliane

Saw it at an advanced screening hosted by Broke Horror Fan and really liked it. When first written IT played on the 80s 'gang of geeks' trope that was heavily used in the 80s (Goonies, Stand By Me, Monster Squad, etc.) and so is very much a product of that era. The rampaging success of Stranger Things has led to a resurrection of that entire trope and so I think IT will ultimately owe a good portion of any success obtained to the Duffer brothers.
MonsterSquad/Zombies ate my neighbors go!!!

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Can you imagine a horror movie with spider Man as the villain? When you wrote that out were you smoking rock?

• 1Picard

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
This was a fucking great movie. Holy shit....i was not prepared. Very impressed. And yes, actual scares...and darker.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Actual scares. Fantastic movie.

Had an Asian family leave half way through so that is a seal of approval imo.

Also DickTrickle DickTrickle yes there is a child Gang bang scene. It's 45 minutes long and completely uncensored.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Actual scares or more like stranger things?

I got a bit of both. I usually don't get scared in movies but definitely a few "NOPE!" moments to be had for me. The movie overall just felt like it was put together with the intent of being good, rather than your typical cash grab. See Dark Tower and most other movies/games. It's amazing how much of a difference that makes.

That plus they weren't afraid to include things like abusive parents etc. No special snowflake shit.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed this. It had some really neat things in it. One scene in particular shocked us and we loved it. It also was missing something a bit of the charm Curry had maybe but its a much darker movie.

My girlfriend said Annabelle Creation was much scarier though and I have to agree. Still this was enjoyable.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
The thing is, this feels like a good film..rather than a good horror film. It's a very well written, well acted film, that happens to be in the horror genre. It kind of felt Speilbergish to be honest.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
good movie, a pretty smart adaptation of an 80s type of story to the 2010s. it was smarter to divide it up this way in kids first, then adults rather than mixing. it relied a bit too heavily on people seeing/hearing something weird and wandering off to investigate. in the old movie the situations happened to the kids more directly, rather than them hearing something and heading straight into danger.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Boo scares are in even the best horror films. Nothing wrong with them as long as they don't over use them.