IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Brain teasers are a cop-out.

A good, clear, programming question where the interview and interviewee work as a team members is the best approach.
The reason they exist is because the Supreme Court said IQ tests were illegal cause of disparate impact. So employers invent all these new ways to test intelligence.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I have been working with salesforce for the last 2 year as a dev and helping out in admin tasks.

It is a good niche technology, solid and people who use it have money.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I think it was Linus Torvalds that said C++ gives you just enough rope to hang yourself with.

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows your whole leg off"." ~Bjarne Stoustrup (C++ creator)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
In school I thought c/c++ was hard and easy to fuck yourself but I've been writing both professionally for 6 years or so and it's just what I know now.

I felt so powerless when I learned java

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Never understood the hate for c/c++
One thing I cannot freakin' stand is the type aliasing. Oh, I get the necessity of it since type declarations can end up being a million miles long thanks to the scope operators. But it makes code really hard to read when people can name types whatever the hell they want.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I have been working with salesforce for the last 2 year as a dev and helping out in admin tasks.

It is a good niche technology, solid and people who use it have money.
It fits in heavily at Dell. We're using it to carve away tertiary, archaic, proprietary applications. But also main features as well, like we're moving our consumer financing support pages to a SFDC foundry. While I've not been particularly fond of the interface, it is quite functional. The folks who manage the sand boxes I have my opinions about.

Last edited:

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

Vinen

God is dead
Vinen what are your thoughts

This is a good thing. VMware has plenty of cash reserves even with this dividend and is doing overall very well. Take a look at its stock over the past few months. While the rest of the market took a giant Tyen VMware has held up and actually increased in value. This is even after this announcement.

My only complaint is god is this going to make my taxes even more retarded this year.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So I discovered why my manager was especially salty at me the other week. He completely lied to our department director about a high profile application (like out of the 50 projects we've had this year this one is in the top 5 of importance to the company) that we've been working on. Specifically part of it that I completed. I'll spare the details but one of our department goals was to use some other tool created by another department in X% of our projects. This is a general thing they want to do but it is not strictly enforced. We passed our X% requirement several months ago.

I completed my work on this particular project some time ago and to incorporate the changes needed would take a whole lot longer than there is left until product release on Monday. It is going to become very obvious that he lied to the director when that happens. If it isn't already.

Shit will probably roll downhill. But whatever. I just wish the dude could have brought this up months ago when it could have been changed much easier. Rather then break out into absurdities.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Didn't someone here work for Booz Allen before? I heard they had better than average pay/benefits for the industry so I applied for a job that looked pretty fun and that I was well qualified for. Got called right away by recruiter, then did a technical interview and the technical guys were impressed. Recruiter calls back says I'm most likely going to expect an offer, we talked salary and I asked for 15% over what I make now and he surprisingly didn't balk at all. Anyway two weeks go by and I get an email from him that says they pulled funding on those positions so there was no longer a job to offer me. Apparently people lost some jobs too.... Glad I dodged that bullet I guess.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This has been bugging me but what is the reasonable expectation when you are given an impossible task by a manager. Or multiple impossible tasks that are only impossible due to the completely unrealistic time constraints provided?

I'm not trying to complain really but I just don't get it. I know Vinen Vinen says he wants to put me on PIP and fire me. But this is all cleanly documented. If he wanted to do that wouldn't he tell me to do X knowing it can't be completed while writing it down in a softer way then claim I am incompetent? Other than the above, in this week it's been.
  1. Provide detailed network analytical data for a very very specific scenario that we have no control over and is ran by an entirely different team. Complete this by EOD. Not possible simply due to asking them. Giving them a ticket and awaiting their response. All I could do was open the ticket.
  2. Make drastic configuration changes to an environment based on his hunch about something. That, not without merit, will 100% produce extremely erroneous outcomes until the application is changed to handle it. Have this dealt with by Friday (told me this on Wednesday). I said that this change request is unrealistic due to the time constraints. He disagrees.
  3. Quantify the impact of 401s (received from an unrelated production reporting environment that we also do not control) on the application logging for some project. Provide me with a plan to resolve these 401s entirely. This was easy enough, but the Cognos system we have, however it is set up, hits you with them even when working correctly and has been discussed with that team many times. I said we should just filter them out then since they are expected by us and the Cognos team. They are present in every single application that has any connection to Cognos here. Filtering them out was apparently the wrong answer however.
  4. Make a bunch of vertical infrastructure increases to some servers (increase RAM), but just do it. Like do it and not document the change to infrastructure. Pretty sure that nobody would notice but why?
Told the dev teams of the projects in question the changes I was being asked to implement and they say yeah not doing this at this time. Then I get some nasty emails from my manager for not simply doing all as he said.

It's Texas. Dude could just get rid of me if he wanted. Why go through all this hassle?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Start documenting every request you receive along with what work you do and what roadblocks you encounter. Have evidence in case he tries to pull some shit

At this point I'd just look for a new job (you are, I know - just in general)