IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Awesome Congrats. Is the offer good?
I won't know until I get the written version. I told them I'm 100% committed as long as it's competitive. The recruiter told me it'd be any time now but the dude is on travel so who knows.

I've never been offered a job on the spot so it was kind of intense

Vinen

God is dead
I won't know until I get the written version. I told them I'm 100% committed as long as it's competitive. The recruiter told me it'd be any time now but the dude is on travel so who knows.

I've never been offered a job on the spot so it was kind of intense

I suspect you will get treated better by DELL than you were by EMC. Most of the guys I know who stuck around during the transition seem content.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have experience with palantir? Worked there? Know someone who has?

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I spoke with one of their recruiters once if that counts :) Topics has a decent amount of good information from current employees (and any well-known tech company)
The cliff notes:
No real career progression compensation wise. You get the initial offer and then a guaranteed 20% raise at 18 months and then you are pretty much done. So not a place where you are going to hit the 300K+/year compensation levels like other tech companies and it pretty much stands out when you look at Levels.fyi - Compare career levels across companies You could roll the dice and they IPO/get acquired but with their defence contracts going public seems like a big negative. Initial options can be values at ~400k but for now you are kind of stuck without being able to let them vest and cash in. I hear you can go for a higher base salary or higher stock options when getting an offer. Some ancient 10+ year old code bases to work on. Some newer cloud date type systems to work on too. Then there is the FDE vs SDE roles to decide between. FDE would be interesting if you have good customer facing skills/enjoy the time away travelling. Unlimited PTO but that's a huge red flag that you are expected to work with little vacation. Employee remarks confirm this is the case.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've worked at an unlimited pto place and I definitely took less vacations per the one year I worked. I noticed most people took no time at all off and would do like half days and work all night. It was absurd to me. I was also the only uefi bios engineer in the entire goddamn company and that also was absurd.

Imagine blasting out firmware with no code reviews, no qa, and issues getting flagged during manufacturing.

• 2WTF
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I know someone who works at Palantir and has for like 8 years. He's a piece of shit cocksucker I served with in the Army. Seems to like it but he got hired on because his Dad is CFO at WD40 and knows some people. He told me its a great place to work but I honestly have no idea what he does because he's a complete moron.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Recruiters are so fucking annoying. Getting up to 8 hits a day for "amazing opportunity" they'll tell you jack about. Even have a few that ask me if I know anyone with xyZ skills, I tell them matter of fact I do and my referral is $1.5k.

If you guys could move anywhere to increase your job opportunity in software where would you move? Austin? Denver? Seattle? NC? Bay Area(seems oversaturated)? Let's put aside some of these may be shit cities.

Vinen

God is dead
Recruiters are so fucking annoying. Getting up to 8 hits a day for "amazing opportunity" they'll tell you jack about. Even have a few that ask me if I know anyone with xyZ skills, I tell them matter of fact I do and my referral is $1.5k.

If you guys could move anywhere to increase your job opportunity in software where would you move? Austin? Denver? Seattle? NC? Bay Area(seems oversaturated)? Let's put aside some of these may be shit cities.

Boston. (I live here and the Software Engineer market is lit)

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Boston. (I live here and the Software Engineer market is lit)
Ya ive been looking in Boston, Wayfair, TripAdvisor, hubspot, etc. Have any ideas of places I may not have thought of that are in the area?

Vinen

God is dead
Ya ive been looking in Boston, Wayfair, TripAdvisor, hubspot, etc. Have any ideas of places I may not have thought of that are in the area?

CarGurus (same building as Hubspot), Google, Amazon, Facebook, VMware, somewhere between 2 and 3 billion Pharma Startups.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
CarGurus (same building as Hubspot), Google, Amazon, Facebook, VMware, somewhere between 2 and 3 billion Pharma Startups.
Oracle, akamai, dell emc, mathworks
How much do you think employers hold it against you if you don't reside in their current city? Obviously depends on your skillset but let's just pretend you're not a unicorn but you're not average. Debating if I should just uproot and move. Wondering if being in the same city would increase my chances with some some big N companies. My city in Florida is just dead as fuck other than some DoD shit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Employees don't care as long as you're willing to relocate. Allllllthooouugghb

We have a dude here whose house is in Philly. He's got an apartment while wife and kid are there taking care of Ill mother. He complains. Every. Fucking. Day. About how awful it is. It soured me on it

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Employees don't care as long as you're willing to relocate. Allllllthooouugghb

We have a dude here whose house is in Philly. He's got an apartment while wife and kid are there taking care of Ill mother. He complains. Every. Fucking. Day. About how awful it is. It soured me on it
I have no ties. At this point I'm happy to relocate on my own time if the opportunity is right.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

If it makes you feel better, not uncommon for them to contact me and go into detail about where the company is and what they do/specialize in. Like they have never heard of google. Spend 2 minutes googling and send them a resume. Wouldn't work in most of the cases here I just always find it funny.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
How much do you think employers hold it against you if you don't reside in their current city? Obviously depends on your skillset but let's just pretend you're not a unicorn but you're not average. Debating if I should just uproot and move. Wondering if being in the same city would increase my chances with some some big N companies. My city in Florida is just dead as fuck other than some DoD shit.

I'd say you rank well behind local candidates. It took me 6 months of searching in NC and it wasn't until I went back to looking at defense jobs that I actually started getting serious calls. I originally was aiming for RedHat, NetApp, Cisco, etc but everytime they'd call, they'd mention "we're not paying relcation." Had a couple of phone interviews that went great but I could definitely tell they were all skeptical that I'd actually move out on my own.

All of the defense contractors offered to cover at least some of my moving costs and didn't think twice about me being on the other side of the states.

• 1Like