IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I'd say you rank well behind local candidates. It took me 6 months of searching in NC and it wasn't until I went back to looking at defense jobs that I actually started getting serious calls. I originally was aiming for RedHat, NetApp, Cisco, etc but everytime they'd call, they'd mention "we're not paying relcation." Had a couple of phone interviews that went great but I could definitely tell they were all skeptical that I'd actually move out on my own.

All of the defense contractors offered to cover at least some of my moving costs and didn't think twice about me being on the other side of the states.
Thanks for the input. None have explicitly stated this but a friend had hinted at it, it made since, and you just confirmed it.

Yep I've seen DoD contractors explicitly stated they cover relocation expenses in job reqs. For me this is more about a strategic career move than the money, at the moment. At this point I'm OK with paying my own relocation and wondering if saying that in a cover letter would be beneficial (not ideal I know).

My lease is up in two months and I'm wondering if I could benefit just putting my shit in storage and moving somewhere with lots of software opportunity, like Boston and doing Airbnb for a month, just networking and job hunting hardcore. Like I said, more about making strategic career move at the moment than the money so I'm willing to make sacrifices.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Probably because defense knows it's hard to recruit for haha
LOL this. You should have seen the LM job req I saw yesterday. First thing it started off with was "we'll pay for relocation." From there they we're just putting everything on the table it seemed to get people to apply.

DoD isn't bad but I really want to try something different. I'm single with nothing tying me down and have some financial flexibility so I'd rather take advantage of it now to explore other options.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
My in-laws suggested I use their address and see if having a local one on my resume made a difference. I wasn't in a huge rush since I had a house to finish up and sell, but it would have been interesting to see if that changed anything.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
My in-laws suggested I use their address and see if having a local one on my resume made a difference. I wasn't in a huge rush since I had a house to finish up and sell, but it would have been interesting to see if that changed anything.

I tend to ignore the address on a resume. Not even sure why it's relevant.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I tend to ignore the address on a resume. Not even sure why it's relevant.
I guess if you are paying relocation it's not relevant. If you aren't, it's probably worth noting if they are local or not. With a lot of jobs I applied for, I don't even know why they bothered calling because they all seemed very hung up on me not getting reimbursed for relocating even though I assured them that if I accepted the job I would make my own way. I'm not salty about it or anything, I completely understand taking a local candidate if everything else is relatively equal.

• 1Like

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
How much do you think employers hold it against you if you don't reside in their current city? Obviously depends on your skillset but let's just pretend you're not a unicorn but you're not average. Debating if I should just uproot and move. Wondering if being in the same city would increase my chances with some some big N companies. My city in Florida is just dead as fuck other than some DoD shit.
For big companies, I'd say none. To take it to an extreme, Facebook even prohibits interviewers from even asking how you got to the interview location. Well known companies are going to be paying for your flight/hotel and likely a meal stipend to get to the interview and will also have some type of relocation package. The hiring process can also be several months so the additional delay in when you start because of some relocation time needed isn't a big negative against you. Marking your LinkedIn profile with specific cities you are interested in relocating to would help in being contacted by recruiters though.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Recruiters are so fucking annoying. Getting up to 8 hits a day for "amazing opportunity" they'll tell you jack about. Even have a few that ask me if I know anyone with xyZ skills, I tell them matter of fact I do and my referral is $1.5k.

If you guys could move anywhere to increase your job opportunity in software where would you move? Austin? Denver? Seattle? NC? Bay Area(seems oversaturated)? Let's put aside some of these may be shit cities.

I'd move to maybe Phoenix or back to Oregon. Austin tech market is huge but it has all the problems I mentioned. Lots of saturation as the city is mostly tech based. Thus, no matter what the role you're looking for you can be rejected for almost any reason. Which is technically true in most places but I just mean being rejected because you have years of experience in X but not a sister of it and you're out. Phoenix has a decent tech market but much less saturation so you can get into a better situation easier. Also Tampa Bay. Big financial center and they are getting desperate. If you want to be a COBOL/Mainframe developer that is. Can probably demand a very high salary doing that sooner or later and the skills translate to any finance industry company of sufficient size.

My new job gave me a fucking macbook lol. Proceed to me derp derping all day until I figured out how to use shit on it.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Foler what's your experiience anyways - years/languages/etc?

primarily C at big DoD for 4ish years. Been doing a lot of java lately, playing with microservices like spark, spring boot, learning database stuff primarily using hibernate. Taught myself HTML/case/JS just to try something completely different. At this point I'm nearing full stack status but not enough depth/experience to be hired as such yet.

Got a second round tech interview with a startup in Colorado. Also just got invited to an on-site with a big company.. They didn't even tech screen me, recruiter just talked to me and at the end was like, we want you to come onsite, we'll pay for it.

So making headway I think

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'd move to maybe Phoenix or back to Oregon. Austin tech market is huge but it has all the problems I mentioned. Lots of saturation as the city is mostly tech based. Thus, no matter what the role you're looking for you can be rejected for almost any reason. Which is technically true in most places but I just mean being rejected because you have years of experience in X but not a sister of it and you're out. Phoenix has a decent tech market but much less saturation so you can get into a better situation easier. Also Tampa Bay. Big financial center and they are getting desperate. If you want to be a COBOL/Mainframe developer that is. Can probably demand a very high salary doing that sooner or later and the skills translate to any finance industry company of sufficient size.

My new job gave me a fucking macbook lol. Proceed to me derp derping all day until I figured out how to use shit on it.
Dude I had a MacBook pro at one job and it was the best laptop I've ever used in my life. That screen...

Vinen

God is dead
Dude I had a MacBook pro at one job and it was the best laptop I've ever used in my life. That screen...

I loath my macbook pro. They keyboard is pure cancer.
Why the fuck would you make a keyboard this loud on a laptop?

I've also had to have the keyboard (motherboard too!) replace 3 times since getting this POS.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I loath my macbook pro. They keyboard is pure cancer.
Why the fuck would you make a keyboard this loud on a laptop?

I've also had to have the keyboard (motherboard too!) replace 3 times since getting this POS.
I didn't find mine loud, but who knows. Laptop was great.