IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I really pushed that machine. I had the main MBP screen, one screen was a Windows 7 VM, another a Ubuntu VM and was coding/compiling on all 3. The only really annoying thing was the stupid cables I had to use for monitors since a dock didn't exist (or we didn't have them)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Mines a 2018 one I think. Runs Mojave. I do like the mission control gesture...

Should have seen the tech leads face when I told him I've never really used a MacBook before lol. Hiring manager decided that I should use one since the rest of the team does and that I'd get used to it.

I dont mind the chiclet keyboard. Certainly isn't as loud as the mechanical ones lots of devs prefer.

Yeah we dont have docs either. Just type c display port connection to two monitors.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My favorite was having multiple desktops and just swiping between them, definitely a nice feature.

I think Dell will use... Dell of course.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
i cant program ona laptop keyboard and even less on a tiny screen.

Give me 3 gigantic monitors with a nice chair so i can slump under the desk.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Bought my first mbp last year. Love the tracpad and got used to the keyboard. Even like it for some Dev work. That being said I still used my Thinkpad, docked, primarily for all my work. Just too used to windows.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I use one at work, as do some of my colleagues. If they are loud, it means they use blue switches or they are bottoming out and should use o-rings. There's no reason for mechanicals to be louder than regular membranes.

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We have a 19 year new grad (yep...) That used one for a few weeks. Then mysteriously it's gone.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Its all about the chiclet keyboards these days. I have an old mechanical at home that's kind of nice. But I only have it because I am cheap and have no reason to replace it. At work its nice to have a chiclet with no travel in it. I dunno, I just got really used to it. The MBP chiclet is like... barely there though so even that took some doing to get used to.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Got the recruiters out of office for a week. Fucking bullshit
Sucks man but it's spring break. I just posted a role on friday, left for 3 days for vacation, and now my recruiter is asking to meet on how to screen candidates and move forward with soliciting potential recruits.
On the other side, I'm frustrated at work and decided that I'm going to go for a new VP position that opened. If I can't change the situation through a promotion, I might as well figure out what I'm missing, so I can get those skills.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
i cant program ona laptop keyboard and even less on a tiny screen.

Give me 3 gigantic monitors with a nice chair so i can slump under the desk.
I agree. Screw coding on a laptop.

Also, I do all my coding within a VM. Idiots at work constantly screw up their Windows environment and have to get IT to nuke and pave their systems. If you build a development VM which contains all your dev software and something goes wrong you can easily revert back to a previous snapshot. Sure, there's a performance penalty, but on current hardware with a SSD it's not particularly noticeable.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If you're not creating work for IT, you're not doing your development job correctly.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
What could you possible be programming that they'd have to nuke windows
Installing Node.js and supporting utilities, multiple versions of SQL Server, multiple versions of Visual Studio, and performing routine updates to those -- invariably something gets fucked up along the way.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
WTF is with kids these days. Met this kid who did a coding boot camp for 6 months. He's been looking for a job. He keeps sending me all these messages from his professor that talk about people from previous cohorts who just landed software jobs making 120k a year, 20k sign on bonus, gym membership etc.

I was like, ya man I've never really seen that (relative to his experience). He's like "I'd be fine making 70k."

Lol. Had to give him the hard truth to expect 50k if lucky.

Then I know another kid who switched from business to CS because he "heard it was easy to make money" with a cs degree. Dude sent me a text other day saying hes thinking of dropping out, finds classes boring, will just program for money, expects to make 70k 🤣🤣.

Wtf is wrong with kids. It's like CS is the new business degree? Don't know what to do?! Get a CS degree! Lol

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
WTF is with kids these days. Met this kid who did a coding boot camp for 6 months. He's been looking for a job. He keeps sending me all these messages from his professor that talk about people from previous cohorts who just landed software jobs making 120k a year, 20k sign on bonus, gym membership etc.

I was like, ya man I've never really seen that (relative to his experience). He's like "I'd be fine making 70k."

Lol. Had to give him the hard truth to expect 50k if lucky.

Then I know another kid who switched from business to CS because he "heard it was easy to make money" with a cs degree. Dude sent me a text other day saying hes thinking of dropping out, finds classes boring, will just program for money, expects to make 70k 🤣🤣.

Wtf is wrong with kids. It's like CS is the new business degree? Don't know what to do?! Get a CS degree! Lol

When I started at GM with a fresh CS I was making $58k. I made $86k my last year there. From what I understand this was relatively under market value (for Austin area) when it comes to direct salary. The benefits at GM make it worth it though.

I don't think it's unheard of to get $60k fresh out of graduation. I also know for a fact that certain code bootcamps (tough to find the "real" ones versus ones that just want your money) will absolutely land you $60k+ jobs. I've had hiring managers tell me directly they picked up kids from bootcamps teaching various in demand frameworks because it is just so efficient. You know for a fact they can work with X and that is what you need at the time. Get some bootcamp kid or hunt for a more expensive, experienced developer who isn't necessarily hungry at all.