IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Vinen Vinen if I send you some hentai, can you get me a backdoor to the VMWare download site? I consider this less of an inconvenience than having to create an account just to download an installer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So I think I'm gonna hit up the small size to startup size scene. Never done it. Need a job that's constantly challenging and I can take the financial risk.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Haven't been able to shitpost since I have actually really been enjoying this new job. I completed the public certification on their product today. My fourth day there and this is a new record for the company. The sales dudes are required to get this in the first two weeks and I just wanted to understand the product and it's data. Got some major kudos from my boss and his boss (CFO) directly. And they paid me cash money for breaking the record I didn't know existed. Which shocked me.

I am going to be taking some fucking names here man. While I am designing their platform and most of the office in Austin is Sales and shit. So I am basically a wizard. I am correcting the sales dashboards first so they love me more.

I have to spend a lot of time learning the various shit they use and where data is but It's a blast so far. Only downside is that I made an enemy of the bull dyke IT manager. As she assumed I was one of her people when I report only to her bosses boss, who is the directer of IT (they call it Internal Systems though). There's a bit of reorganization going on so I don't think this will be the case forever. But the first day she started assigning me these IT tasks and I laughed at her and told her I am not doing any of that shit and she got mad and called her boss then got all quiet and stopped talking to me. Not sure how I should have handled that. She's okay otherwise.

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I always felt weird "enjoying" my work, which I'm hoping even t hough is a different company now I'll still enjoy it. But part of the definition of work, through my upbringing at least, was you shouldn't like your job - it's just something you have to do. Glad you got a good one.

I mean that lady is kind of an idiot. If you had an actual new employee wouldn't you know their name? Like, someone would tell you here's your new hire?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
To be fair there was one other new hire on the same day as me who was her actual employee and we all sit in the same space in the office. As I have no actual team to sit with.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Haven't been able to shitpost since I have actually really been enjoying this new job. I completed the public certification on their product today. My fourth day there and this is a new record for the company. The sales dudes are required to get this in the first two weeks and I just wanted to understand the product and it's data. Got some major kudos from my boss and his boss (CFO) directly. And they paid me cash money for breaking the record I didn't know existed. Which shocked me.

I am going to be taking some fucking names here man. While I am designing their platform and most of the office in Austin is Sales and shit. So I am basically a wizard. I am correcting the sales dashboards first so they love me more.

I have to spend a lot of time learning the various shit they use and where data is but It's a blast so far. Only downside is that I made an enemy of the bull dyke IT manager. As she assumed I was one of her people when I report only to her bosses boss, who is the directer of IT (they call it Internal Systems though). There's a bit of reorganization going on so I don't think this will be the case forever. But the first day she started assigning me these IT tasks and I laughed at her and told her I am not doing any of that shit and she got mad and called her boss then got all quiet and stopped talking to me. Not sure how I should have handled that. She's okay otherwise.
Glad you're enjoying it man! That's awesome! Really hoping I can write a similar post (without the bull dyke) sometime soon.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I always felt weird "enjoying" my work, which I'm hoping even t hough is a different company now I'll still enjoy it. But part of the definition of work, through my upbringing at least, was you shouldn't like your job - it's just something you have to do. Glad you got a good one.

I mean that lady is kind of an idiot. If you had an actual new employee wouldn't you know their name? Like, someone would tell you here's your new hire?
I don't think they are mutually exclusive. At the end of the day no one will have a job where there isn't some aspect they don't enjoy. I'd view this as more of a sliding scale and probably the majority of the people sliding towards "not enjoying."

I can take a lot of shit but my last job was just too much of a shit show, to the point I was having fucking nightmares about it. Had I stayed around longer I prob would have offed myself heh. It was an extremely unhealthy/unprofessional environment.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So I think I'm gonna hit up the small size to startup size scene. Never done it. Need a job that's constantly challenging and I can take the financial risk.
Where are you based again? Most of the startup scene I've witness are on either coast (NYC DC Boston Seattle SF LA). Small might not be bad but the fewer people the less focused/more general it tends to be.

• 1Like

Vinen

God is dead
Where are you based again? Most of the startup scene I've witness are on either coast (NYC DC Boston Seattle SF LA). Small might not be bad but the fewer people the less focused/more general it tends to be.

I'd narrow it down to Boston, Seattle, Silicon Valley (+ San Fransisco)

NYC, DC, LA are not really great locations for software startups.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I'd narrow it down to Boston, Seattle, Silicon Valley (+ San Fransisco)

NYC, DC, LA are not really great locations for software startups.

Florida. I'm probably gonna spend a few more months just learning/improving on my knowledge on backend/AWS and just Airbnb in one of the above cities for a bit to try to make connections.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Starting to lose motivation. Dunno what to teach myself anymore. Been doing some spring boot and hibernate. Shit is kinda AIDS tho if you're new to backend/databases. Debating whether to keep slogging through spring and jump into nosql as well or shift over to python or back to JavaScript.

May be doomed to forever be full time shitposter on this forum. I hope not.
What kind of development work do you enjoy doing? Just look for that. I'm with you, I don't care so much about the pay as long as it's doing what I want to do (within reason).

By the way, I'm in Virginia too. Charlottesville area. We have a couple guys that commute from Richmond.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
What kind of development work do you enjoy doing? Just look for that. I'm with you, I don't care so much about the pay as long as it's doing what I want to do (within reason).

By the way, I'm in Virginia too. Charlottesville area. We have a couple guys that commute from Richmond.
That's the thing Shaky. I hated my last job which was straight up C (not embedded). I've spent months trying new things, front end, now back end and I'm finally feeling like I'm starting to narrow down what I really enjoy, which is part of the reason I don't want to take that offer.

I'd rather spend a few more months honing in on what I really love then focus on looking for those jobs. It's looking more and more like I enjoy backend. Started reading a book on designing data-intensive applications and it's super fascinating.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
That's the thing Shaky. I hated my last job which was straight up C (not embedded). I've spent months trying new things, front end, now back end and I'm finally feeling like I'm starting to narrow down what I really enjoy, which is part of the reason I don't want to take that offer.

I'd rather spend a few more months honing in on what I really love then focus on looking for those jobs. It's looking more and more like I enjoy backend. Started reading a book on designing data-intensive applications and it's super fascinating.
Is it the orielly book with the same name? Good book.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The good thing is the backend doesn't attract as many developers as front end, at least in my view. Same thing with firmware, not sexy to young kids.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Is it the orielly book with the same name? Good book.
Yep. Loving it. Super fascinating. Especially when dude references case studies on companies like Netflix, Twitter, etc.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Well. Tomorrow is decision day. After giving it a lot of thought, talking with friends and you guys, pretty sure I'm gonna pass on the job. Offer is really really good but I'd hate my life doing the job and can afford financially to spend some more time looking.

Game plan is to keep learning, work on spring boot, databases, docker, AWS and maybe Kafka/spark/Cassandra since everyone seems to want knowledge in those. Prob will spend 3-4 more months on it then I'm thinking of just hitting up some of those startup cities you guys suggested, squat in an Airbnb and network like hell.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
The good thing is the backend doesn't attract as many developers as front end, at least in my view. Same thing with firmware, not sexy to young kids.
Ya. Code camps seem to use JS based full stacks. From what I've seen scouring job postings most want backend type tech, AWS knowledge, and any big data related tech knowledge.

Honestly l hate JS's weak typing. JS is really fun but coming from C and Java it seems kinda like a circus.

Been doing spring boot. First time using mvc architecture. Love what dependency injection does and how easy annotations make this. On the other hand there's like a million different annotations, classes and methods to know.

Any bros here with Spring experience? If you are working backend of any form, what languages/tools/frameworks are you using?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Realized the new job doesn't keep timesheets if you're salaried. Amazing.

I always thought having a timesheet system on top of a task management system (sometimes multiple of these for ticketing, Dev, etc) was a bit retarded.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
EMC had this time sheet where you put 8 hours everyday no matter what. It seemed a waste of time but i figured it was a way for them to fire people if they decided they didn't like the hours they worked. Akamai did no time sheet and it was awesome. I have zero idea how many hours I worked there. It was like a rolling schedule for me. Just showed up whenever I wanted, left when I wanted, worked from home whenever.

Raytheon was the worst. Accounting for every 6 minutes you worked across various contract #s was a job in and of itself. Hated every second of it.

Especially if you're in a position where you run out of.work to do and it takes you awhile to track someone down. What do you charge that time to?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
GM's was just to project. So if you were assigned 1 project, that's where it all went. Unless you got all dinky and itemized for time you spent training or practicing this or that. Which nobody I ever knew did. I asked the HR girl about timesheets at the new job and she was a, "what? Oh no only if you're hourly then you have to do timesheets."

Last edited: