IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I use anyconnect with it. Occasionally when I first connect it will drop connection and I have to redo it, or sometimes if my PC falls asleep I need to reconnect but that's it. Your particular vpn might not like the traffic

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Okay nerds. How do I go about asking for a raise? I am not overly antsy here but I can objectively prove that I saved the company about $5M this year and just this week I eliminated a bunch of data inefficiencies. Fixing these inefficiencies exposed a bunch of customer metrics leading our customer success/experience and billing teams to realize that we are leaving a little over $50k a month in revenue on the table for no reason other than not noticing it previously.

Now they're scrambling to secure it.

On top of that I refactored the business facing data warehouse derived from our actual product. Which will show immense savings by the end of next quarter when we're billed again for data storage and 75% of the shit they were storing I removed for being useless.

I've only been here a year but I feel I need to ask for more money and capitalize on this. How do I go about doing this?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Okay nerds. How do I go about asking for a raise? I am not overly antsy here but I can objectively prove that I saved the company about $5M this year and just this week I eliminated a bunch of data inefficiencies. Fixing these inefficiencies exposed a bunch of customer metrics leading our customer success/experience and billing teams to realize that we are leaving a little over $50k a month in revenue on the table for no reason other than not noticing it previously.

On top of that I refactored the business facing data warehouse derived from our actual product. Which will show immense savings by the end of next quarter when we're billed again for data storage and 75% of the shit they were storing I removed for being useless.

I've only been here a year but I feel I need to ask for more money and capitalize on this. How do I go about doing this?
You just take what you just told us, print out whatever reports and such you have to prove it, and put it in a folder and hand it to your boss with a new expected rate of pay and say, "Pray I don't alter the deal further".

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>

Show them you're worth it. Present them the results of your work in numbers (which you've pretty much already done). Communicating processes without results in numbers is pointless. Like I said you're already on the ball when you talk about it so great job.

Now you've shown them your value. You need to explain to them why now is the time.

Edit - lul moonarchia moonarchia beat me to it!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yes this is promotion angling. Not yearly raise. I feel I've brought in enough money and savings to demand more.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Rona

They are getting dells though, were constantly sold out of laptops
Can you put a jira ticket in to tell them to do some better hardware QA on the xps? Bought the 15" 2 years ago and charging port broke after one week. Returned and it's been apple ever since. Crying shame man. Load of malarkey.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Can you put a jira ticket in to tell them to do some better hardware QA on the xps? Bought the 15" 2 years ago and charging port broke after one week. Returned and it's been apple ever since. Crying shame man. Load of malarkey.

This is the boat I'm in. I'll have a desktop PC for video games and stuff but I won't have any other laptop/work computer than Mac if I can avoid it.

Now that I've gotten used to it I am quite a lot more productive working on the Mac than my old hp laptop at GM.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What's specific to osx that's helped your productivity?

Native bash makes a lot of things really convenient. Yes I know you can get Windows to mostly work this way but if you have to use the terminal a lot I've found it will save you a lot of time. The second feature I get a lot of use out of in Mac is its unparalleled window management features.

If you use a magic mouse the Mission Control gesture is a tap of the button and display all the windows you have open across multiple monitors in a way thats really easy to navigate. If you've never used it IDK really how to describe it. I get a ton of mileage out of that.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
When I used a MBP for work it is still to this day the nicest laptop I've ever used. All of the swipe stuff and different desktops, bash (at the time windows didn't have Linux term), snappyness, screen.

Of course I would never in a million years spend my own money on one of those.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
When I used a MBP for work it is still to this day the nicest laptop I've ever used. All of the swipe stuff and different desktops, bash (at the time windows didn't have Linux term), snappyness, screen.

Of course I would never in a million years spend my own money on one of those.

Exactly this. If I ever ended up working freelance/consulting where I needed my own shit I'd buy one though.

The thing I really fucking hate is that maximizing a window completely changes how it interacts with stuff. I hate that.