IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of chat/chatbots, I got a ticket that says "agents are unable to attend 5 chats at once" and my first reaction was to say "that's true, closing."

Also, all of our chatbot programmers have had their titles changed to "Artificial Intelligence Engineer" which is cooler than my title. :/
Disappear Tim And Eric GIF by MOODMAN

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I was up in Dallas for a work thing this week. Now, I have always been quite satisfied being a purely technical lead and doing heads down coding over any kind of people management. But I can't help but think I am fucking up my career in some way as I see people come onboard and shoot from developer to director in under 3 years (this is relatively common in the startup type environment I work in). I have seen this happen about 10 times first hand. Not in my actual org but in the orgs around me. Am I not taking advantage of something in this particular area of tech work that could benefit me greatly later?

I am absolutely not the kind of person that finds the right coattails to hold onto and rides them to the top. Which these meteoric rises seemingly do require to one degree or another. I am not really obsessed with titles but I recognize that having the right job titles in your work history can be very very advantageous.

Last edited:

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I have a friend who's a director / c-suite type who's been out of work for like 15 months now. Some of it is undoubtedly him being picky, but still I worry about being in that box and not being able to jump into IC work whenever I want.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Mist Mist what is it with the chatbot fascination? Personally, I find the art generators more interesting and impressive.

The fact that Zuck is pivoting from pissing away money on VR to pissing it away chasing far more talented AI orgs tells me all I need to know about where it is headed.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm a contact center architect. We sell chatbots. Customers want chatbots. This industry is printing money right now.

fris

Vyemm Raider
if you wanted to setup a chat bot to help customer's ask basic product questions, where data/answers were in mostly text files (word/ppt/etc) and some excel files, what platform would you recommend?

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
if you wanted to setup a chat bot to help customer's ask basic product questions, where data/answers were in mostly text files (word/ppt/etc) and some excel files, what platform would you recommend?
Is a bunch of them opensource to play with, including the big names.

If you are looking for something more professional and ready to go, then Watson Assistant has a free version to play with.

• 1NPC
Reactions: 1 user

fris

Vyemm Raider
hmmmm. i'll see if i can get a list of bots we've tried in house. i haven't been paying attention cause i'm a few degrees away. i know this will change the team i lead once it 'works', which i'm guessing is still a few years out. my director is hoping it's less.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It is weird people paying for AI stuff when it is all just sitting there easy to use on github.
They're not paying for random 'AI stuff.' They're paying for it to work with their existing platforms and processes.

For a more concrete example, they are paying for AI chatbots that front-end and ultimately flow work items to human agents already working in their call centers. Therefore the AI chatbots have to work with the phone system, ticket systems, workforce management, and workforce optimization platforms, along internal and external knowledgebase platforms that they already have, and they have to produce reporting that is actionable by upper management.

Just sticking a chatbot on your website with none of that other stuff behind it does more harm than good.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
If anyone is interested in some side work I've been doing data annotation on Data Annotation and it actually pays fairly well depending on which projects you qualify for. One of the current projects is $25/hour plus the money you make from the tasks, which easily makes it around $40/hour. They payout through paypal after 7 days on submissions. It's monotonous work but it's one of the better side hustles I've found.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
If anyone is interested in some side work I've been doing data annotation on Data Annotation and it actually pays fairly well depending on which projects you qualify for. One of the current projects is $25/hour plus the money you make from the tasks, which easily makes it around $40/hour. They payout through paypal after 7 days on submissions. It's monotonous work but it's one of the better side hustles I've found.
Signed up on the site. Do you get paid for referrals?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So what do you actually do in this?

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
So what do you actually do in this?
Lots of different things, companies outsource their data to be annotated. Current one i'm doing is going through lines of text from customer service calls and highlighting lines based on certain criteria (reason for contact, resolution process, etc). One before that was beta testing a new ChatGPT system, where it would generate 4 different responses and you had to pick the best one and edit to make it better.

For each project there's maybe a 10-15 page guideline telling you how to complete the task. They have qualification tests for every new project, but you usually get paid for that. The qualification tests are easy as long as you're not a complete retard and can follow directions.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Got a 4 version difference Angular upgrade to do

Have next to no Angular experience

Estimated 38.2 hours

Kvetching ensued

Asked if anyone would be willing to take it for less than that

Crickets

(Forumquest argumentative skills coming in handy)

Can't wait to see everything that is completely deprecated or discontinued otherwise that has to be replaced and breaks everything

Why did people ever decide to use this Angular shit? The first multi version upgrade I did literally took a year off my life expectancy

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Got a 4 version difference Angular upgrade to do

Have next to no Angular experience

Estimated 38.2 hours

Kvetching ensued

Asked if anyone would be willing to take it for less than that

Crickets

(Forumquest argumentative skills coming in handy)

Can't wait to see everything that is completely deprecated or discontinued otherwise that has to be replaced and breaks everything

Why did people ever decide to use this Angular shit? The first multi version upgrade I did literally took a year off my life expectancy
Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 10-01-16 ChatGPT.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I already know I'm going to take it up the ass doing this thing. Thanks ChatGPT for making it sound less horrible.

This time next week I will be fucked up royally lol.

This is the reason people change jobs so often. Implement the shit by screwing it together tightly to make it work, get the hell outta there before the dependencies need to be swapped out.

• 1Like